TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 01-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #126
DARTH ZOIDBERG
IndyFan

Disney Hit Two Grand Slams Right Out Of The Park!

After seeing RO twice so far I rate it slightly below TFA but Disney has hit huge grand slams out of the park for me right up there with the OT way better then the prequels and I enjoyed the prequels but Disney's first two star wars films were what we have all been waiting for since Return Of The Jedi ended!!!
DARTH ZOIDBERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:35 AM   #127
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARTH ZOIDBERG
After seeing RO twice so far I rate it slightly below TFA but Disney has hit huge grand slams out of the park for me right up there with the OT way better then the prequels and I enjoyed the prequels but Disney's first two star wars films were what we have all been waiting for since Return Of The Jedi ended!!!
Agree with that, I think they've managed to recapture the spirit of the originals.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:36 PM   #128
Moedred
Administrator

Crystal Skull deja vu:
Quote:
“Knoll’s very first story treatment for Rogue One was titled Destroyer of Worlds,” Hidalgo says, “which is from Hindu scripture, but Oppenheimer used it to describe his reaction to nuclear weapons development.”

With Edwards in the director’s chair on Rogue One, the production’s codename would be “Los Alamos,” appropriately borrowed from the town in New Mexico where the Manhattan Project was based.

References to films like The Guns of Navarone (1961) and Where Eagles Dare (1968) would be thrown around the story table during pre-production on “Los Alamos.”
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #129
Attila the Professor

I thought it handled the pseudo-nuclear destruction scenes rather well; it's been interesting how these latter day installments spend more time on showing the devastation and destruction of those on the ground during a Death Star strike, though I'd argue that Rogue One's more localized take plays more meaningfully, in operating on a more comprehensible and personalized scale than Force Awakens dozen-o'-planets approach.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #130
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
I thought it handled the pseudo-nuclear destruction scenes rather well; it's been interesting how these latter day installments spend more time on showing the devastation and destruction of those on the ground during a Death Star strike, though I'd argue that Rogue One's more localized take plays more meaningfully, in operating on a more comprehensible and personalized scale than Force Awakens dozen-o'-planets approach.

I think the main reason the two new films focus more on the super weapons effects on the ground has to do with superior technology which would have been impossible to do when the original film was created.
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:13 PM   #131
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.jones1986
I think the main reason the two new films focus more on the super weapons effects on the ground has to do with superior technology which would have been impossible to do when the original film was created.

It's a reason, but I don't know whether it might be thought primary, at least in the case of Rogue One, a product of a director who has previously shown an interest in bleak images of vast devastation.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:24 PM   #132
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
It's a reason, but I don't know whether it might be thought primary, at least in the case of Rogue One, a product of a director who has previously shown an interest in bleak images of vast devastation.
I think if Lucas had been making the original film during an era where he had CGI in his arsenal, there is a good chance he would have given us a sequence from the point of view of the people on Alderaan as we saw in the most recent two films. I haven't seen any of Gareth Edwards other work in their entirety, but Rogue One had to focus on this even more than George Lucas or JJ Abrams did because this is the first time that the main characters were the victims, so it was more critical to the story. Edwards previous film was Gozilla, so destruction on the ground in that case is obligatory.

Last edited by dr.jones1986 : 06-04-2017 at 08:29 PM.
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote