Favorite film decade

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I guess I'll take it upon myself to start a new thread here, but feeling rather lazy at the moment, I'll do something that doesn't take much thought...what is your favorite decade for film?

I'm rather fond of the 1950's, as well as the 2 neighboring decades, but moreso the Fifties. No big reason why, I suppose that's the decade I've seen the most from. Stanley Kramer was in the business, Ford and Hitch did some great stuff, as well did many others. Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant were still big stars, Cooper made a great film, and Henry Fonda and John Wayne continued to get better. Some highlights of the decade, for me anyway, include The Searchers, High Noon, 12 Angry Men, Singin' in the Rain, Harvey, Strangers on a Train, The Caine Mutiny, Guys and Dolls, Bridge on the River Kwai, Some Like it Hot, and North by Northwest.

00Kevin

Indyfan
well, 60/70/80 are my favs

60s-spy era

80s-awesome actions flicks

but my favorite decade:

70s-Roger Moore's peek as bond, SW, monty python and so on.......................

swords

The late sixties, the epics were becoming less rampant, Connery was in bloom(favorite James Bond movie with Connery, You Only live Twice.) Hmmm, George A Romero's Night of the Living Dead is one of my favorite horror movies. Hard to choose, my favorites are sporatic, the movies are throughout all of the decades(I guess minus the 20's and the early half of the seventies)

O.k, I will go with the sixties, Im in somewhat of a Bond craze at the moment...

The eighties, definitely. THe 80s were when most of my favorite movies came out- all Indy movies, two Star Wars movies, ET, Back to the Futures, etc. I also love the forties (CASABLANCA!!!!!!!!) (that is when it came out, right?)

Indy4ever

The 80s..

There are just so many hits from that decade! All 3 Indy J. films, ESB, ROTJ, Back to the Future, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, E.T., Ferris Bueller etc.

(I don't remember that much of the 80s 'cause I reached a max age of 6 in the decade, but the 80s are just plain fun!

J

Jedi Daniel

80's for sure. Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi :)

EvilDevo

the 80's, hands down! indiana jones trilogy of course, but SO many others. most of my movie heroes are from this decade: ash (evil dead 2) peter, ray, egon and winston (ghostbusters) marty mcfly (bttf)... then theres aliens, terminator, the goonies, etc. i guess the all time best movies went from the late 70s to early 90s, but the majority were from the eighties.

[Edited by devin_149 on 05-07-2003 at 03:59 pm]

NileQT87

dont forget jake and elwood.

were on a mission from god.

106 miles to chicago, weve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, its dark and were wearing sunglasses. hit it.

BLUES BROTHERS!

the 80s were the golden age of cinema.

swords

I don't think the 80s were the golden age of cinema. I agree it was the golden age of escapism, with the fantasy and adventure films so popular, thanks to Indy, Star Wars type movies. However, golden age seems to descibe the forties and fifties better where a lot of these films pay homage.

swords

Oh, and I would like to cross out Romero's Living Dead with Fuchi's Zombie(and this one was made in the early seventies).

brainofj21

I wasn't alive during the 70s but it was the decade that changed modern cinema. All of the geniuses came from that decade. Scorsese, Spielberg, Coppalla

80s have a ton of childhood memories for me.

Spielberg, Zemekis, and others made alot of classics

90s were sweet too

Tarantino, Spielberg's second wind, Scorsese's second wind, Fincher, Rodriquez, the Indy films of the 90s. Alot of good films

It's too hard to choose but the 70s and 90s were probably the best decades overall. 80s were awesome with the Indy movies and Back to the Future movies.

NileQT87

80s man!

esb/rotj
rotla/tod/lc
bttf
et
blues brothers
amadeus
beetlejuice
ghostbusters

and the list goes on...

Canyon

Hmm, a difficult one

I love 80's movies (yeah, I know that the trilogy probably influences my decison). My favourites include:

Raiders
Temple of Doom
Last Crusade
Empire Srikes Back (my favourite SW film)
Return of the Jedi
Ghostbusters
Working Girl
Labrynth
Back to the Future

I also love the 90's and my favourites include:

The Matrix
Patriot Games (biased, moi?!)
Titanic
The Usual Suspects
L A Confidential
Sixth Sense
and several million others I can't think of right now

I also love Gladiator even though this came out in 2000 so as you can see, I can't really decide on one particular decade. So many great films... :)