Star Wars: The Mandalorian

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Favreau was attached to John Carter, then Disney made it to possibly have their own Star Wars, before acquiring Star Wars. Meanwhile Favreau made Cowboys & Aliens, the product of too many cooks. Now he's making Star Wars tv which could be anything, next decade probably.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
First pic. Streaming next year on Disney.

So who is s/he? Boba Fett? His clone? Sabine Wren?

Forbidden Eye

Funny to see a thread dedicated to this with no posts. Feels like it has been in existence for a while. To think Baby Yoda wasn't even conceived when TheRaven shut down.

Anyway who could've foreseen a streaming show would be the best thing to happen to Star Wars since Disney bought it?

IAdventurer01

Best thing in Disney Star Wars? Definitely agree! Just goes to show that no matter the format, getting the right people working on the right project is what really counts.

Season 2 finale stuff aside, I knew it was special when the end of Season 1 I was off my chair, sitting just in front of it on the floor to get a little closer to the action I was so engrossed. Haven't felt that way about Star Wars since I was much younger!

emtiem

I would really love an Indy show in this style: nice short 30 min serialised episodes with top production values, an amazing Hollywood-quality action scene every week, all building to make one story. It would take the best elements of Indy from the movies and also callback to his origins as being inspired by the old adventure serials of the golden age. Pretty please, Disney! :)

dprog

I personally don't like Mandalorian that much. I watched the whole series 1 time and don't feel that I want to watch it again.

I don't like the gunfights in Mando that much because they bad guys never hit their targets or they just hit Mando's invincible armor.

Lance Quazar

I don't like the gunfights in Mando that much because they bad guys never hit their targets or they just hit Mando's invincible armor.
Well, in the older star wars stories, the bad guys never hit their targets because of invisible plot armor. So....a step in the right direction?
I personally don't like Mandalorian that much. I watched the whole series 1 time and don't feel that I want to watch it again.
Yeah, objectively the show just isn't that good. It's....okay. It's...fine. It has its moments, but it also has a lot of stuff that is just mediocre. So much of the writing is flat. There's very little character development and most of the dialogue is utterly flat, lacking the wit and cleverness that the best SW stories had.

Turns out, a cute puppet and shamelessly smashing the nostalgia button like a rat in a maze will get you far....

PilotJohnGrant

Yeah Jon Favreau and Dave Filioni get a lot of the credit to making the show successful...which is fair. But I also think they play it safe and rely wayyy too much on nostalgia.
The Mando & Grogu, father & son relationship is cute but really underdeveloped and any emotional weight actually there in the end gets undercut by a certain jedi's appearance in the finale.

I much preferred Season 1, as it felt safe but fresh and felt like it could go in any direction by the end of it. But Season 2, while it's always fun to down nostalgia lane, kinda felt bogged down by all these characters we've seen before. Made the galaxy feel really small.

But I gotta say the Rick Famuyiwa written episodes are great and actually handle tension really well imo.
Stuff like in Chapter 6 Mando having to escape a ship while it counts down to self destruct or in Chapter 15 where Mando has to trade out his armor for cruddy stormtrooper armor so the fight actually has some risk to it.
Not to mention the sort of Last Crusade homage back in Chapter 2 was fun, but Famuyiwa only directed that so I don't know if that was his choice.

Face_Melt

I think it’s the best Star Wars anything since the original trilogy.

If they rebooted the Young Indy series and gave it as much love and attention as The Mandalorian I would be thrilled.

metalinvader

Interesting first episode to season 3.Its so good to be back!

Loved the design for the pirate leader.Guy looked straight out of the Droids cartoon. Hopefully him and his straight out of Dark Empire ship will be a side villian in this season.

metalinvader

Excellent space fun, isn't it? It doesn't try to be anything it isn't and delivers every time, love it.

I didn't particularly care for Andor and mostly enjoyed Kenobi but Mando has that perfect blend of fun and mythology that makes Star wars,Star wars in my opinion.

emtiem

My dream would be an Indy series in this vein: nice, short episodes doing a serialised story which just aims to be pure entertainment every week, with pretty much guaranteed at least two set pieces every episode. Mando is even built around constant (slightly unashamedly naff) quest storylines: it'd be perfect for Indy.
I need to go some mines to bathe, but I need my droid first. And now I need a spare part for the droid. Really? I'm not complaining, but I love how 1980s computer game style the plotting is :D

Joe Brody

Thought Season 3, Ep. 1 was a bit of a sleeper. Too much Grogu being cute. The action was contrived, especially the opening scene. I did like Mando’s attempt to revive the droid though. Hopefully it picks up. The Mandolarian and Andor are our only hope.

PilotJohnGrant

Definitely the weakest season opener of Mando so far.

Sort of wasted the pre-title sequence with a way too long action sequence with characters we don't know (Paz Visla and the Armorer - I guess? but I doubt anyone's super invested in them in an action sequence.)

And too much exposition delivered through dialogue that would have been wayyy more interesting to see (like how how Din got that piece of Mandalorian crystal or Bo-Katan's followers leaving her.)

We had a whole mini subplot of pirates which gets kicked off because they want to drink in a school??? Which feels thrown in because there needed to be an action sequence.

Though I don't wanna be too negative and will say the show still looks great, Rick Famuyiwa is one of the better directors working on the star wars projects and I'm glad we're getting three episodes with him.
I too also really enjoyed the design of the pirate captain - sort of reminded me of an old-school doctor who monster or a hitchiker's guide to the galaxy alien.

Overall felt like a lot of treading water - bring back space Raylan Givens.

British Raider

The writing is pedestrian at best; Mandalorian has rarely been able to deliver actual dramatic storytelling. Too much of ‘and then this happened.’ I’m always watching it thinking what’s he doing now, what contrived reason will they come up with, and then what will they delay it with. However, watchable. The Pirate Captain is certainly the highlight. You can get a gist of what’s going to happen if you’ve seen the trailers. Despite my misgivings I could see this series being more cohesive?

I wish Famuyiwa would write more of the episodes.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Pedro Pascal interview:
At a young age, the action star was particularly fond of Harrison Ford’s iconic hero Indiana Jones, and failed spectacularly several times trying to emulate his adventures.
"I broke my poor left arm three times. And they were all Indiana Jones related, actually. I had seen Raiders of the Lost Ark so I tied sheets together and was trying to scale the side of my house. They loosened very quickly, I landed on my elbow, it shattered in three places. I must have been five years old. And then I did it again. Riding on a horse, in Chile. Growing up in the States we were still able to go back to Chile at a certain point when my parents were on a list of pardoned exiles. So I got thrown from a horse. My Dad being a doctor was like, ‘Eh, you’re fine!’ He wrapped it with a cardboard box and paper and after the third day of me not sleeping my mum was like, ‘I’m going to take him to the emergency room’."

emtiem

Yes I saw a clip where he wa saying how excited he was to get to learn how to use a bull whip for the Kingsnan film because he was such an Indy fan. And hurt himself straight away of course!