Soundtracks?

JayDee

InexorableTash said:
None of the Peacock's Eye score by Steve Bramson was released on CD. Alas.

You can find what is known about the Peacock's Eye tracks here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AitXfrT-eTV8clFHT2ZlQ2lJazJnNWtuNzRZOGx5V2c&hl=en

We have a few cue sources identified (30 sec samples from Bramson's site, segments used in DVD games), however I don't think the bit you mentioned is one of them. If I recall from the episode, it sounds fairly similar to the "Faraway" and "It Stops Here" themes, so you could check those time markers and see if it's "close enough". It's also possible we have that cue in our stash of "unidentified cues" where we have the music but aren't even sure which episode it's from, let alone where in the episode.

Details on where we're getting these unreleased tracks is at:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AStXfrT-eTV8ZHRwOWQ3cl8waGd2bXZjaGQ&hl=en

PM me if you want more info.

You could also try contacting Bramson. Perhaps he'd be willing to put up more of the TotPE tracks?

I just downloaded the sample "Fareaway", and yes, that is a variation of the theme at the beginning there. Thank you for that small glimpse :)

JayDee

Sorry for the double post, but I meant the track "indy_treasure1.mp3"... Somehow I am unable to edit posts.

MDew

Ah, finally! Nice work compiling it all there. That could've saved me hours of combing the internet long ago...

MDew

Do you have to pay for the domain name or is it free on google? I've been wanting to do that for a while for some of my sites. I didn't realize google had a website builder, that looks pretty cool.

InexorableTash

FYI, the pretty URL appears to be working now.

MDew said:
Do you have to pay for the domain name or is it free on google? I've been wanting to do that for a while for some of my sites. I didn't realize google had a website builder, that looks pretty cool.

I paid for the domain name separately, and have it pointing at the site (via a DNS CNAME record and a Sites feature).

InexorableTash

Thanks!

I'm working on getting samples up, but nearly all of the extant "drop an MP3 player into your page" solutions suck, and the intersection of those that work with Google Sites is vanishingly small. So I might have to author my own. *sigh*

I've started commentary on the individual episodes (sub-pages under "Cue Lists"), and plan to embed "human-readable" versions of the master spreadsheet on those pages.

MDew: I've updated the track names for the Documentaries on the master spreadsheet http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AitXfrT-eTV8clFHT2ZlQ2lJazJnNWtuNzRZOGx5V2c&hl=en to include the actual documentary titles, so we can more easily compare notes. I also checked the credits for each and eliminated some as stock, and put in parenthetical possible sources (the credits for each documentary list the episodes sourced from)

Interestingly, in the documentary credits, Bramson is given co-billing with McNeely for the Oganga soundtrack, and Arthur Kempel is co-credited with McNeely for Hawkmen. Any corroboration anywhere else? The Bramson credit on Oganga would explain why the bookends sound so TotPE-ish to me.

Last edited:

MDew

Nice work on that, Tash. I was going to do the same thing but just haven't got around to it yet. Your notes are all pretty close to what little I had. Unfortunately I deleted many of them that I considered to be stock upon first glance, but seeing your list maybe they weren't...

Stoo

Just listened to the latest IndyCast (#94) and Sir Inexorable Tash submitted a great letter about the YIJC music and this very project we have going here. "A group at The Raven message board mobilized to identify the tracks." Mobilized. Love it. I also like your description of all this as a "bonanza", 'cause that's what it is.:D Here's a direct link and it starts at 55:22.

http://www.forcecast.net/story/indycast/IndyCast_Episode_94_128990.asp

I would just like to add that I love you guys and this is my MOST FAVOURITE THREAD on The Raven!:hat: Tash, the sample piece you chose for the IndyCast (from the Interactive Timeline) is still driving me crazy...:mad:
InexorableTash said:
I've started commentary on the individual episodes (sub-pages under "Cue Lists"), and plan to embed "human-readable" versions of the master spreadsheet on those pages.
Re: "human-readable"...We are not men, we are voracious, unsatiable Young Indy music fans who are foaming at the mouth.
InexorableTash said:
MDew:(the credits for each documentary list the episodes sourced from)
Didn't know that! Nice spot.(y)
InexorableTash said:
Interestingly, in the documentary credits, Bramson is given co-billing with McNeely for the Oganga soundtrack, and Arthur Kempel is co-credited with McNeely for Hawkmen. Any corroboration anywhere else? The Bramson credit on Oganga would explain why the bookends sound so TotPE-ish to me.
VERY interesting. Whoever did the "Oganga" bookends, scored the Old Indy stuff for "Paris, 1908" because the 1st part has a similar cue.

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
Just listened to the latest IndyCast (#94) and Sir Inexorable Tash submitted a great letter about the YIJC music and this very project we have going here. "A group at The Raven message board mobilized to identify the tracks." Mobilized. Love it.

Huzzah, I finally had a chance to listen, glad you enjoyed the letter. Thanks to everyone who's been involved, and apologies for not naming names - I decided to err on the side of privacy. Fingers crossed that we get a few more recruits... and an answer to that mystery.

T.E.Lawrence

Stoo said:
Just listened to the latest IndyCast (#94) and Sir Inexorable Tash submitted a great letter about the YIJC music and this very project we have going here. "A group at The Raven message board mobilized to identify the tracks." Mobilized. Love it. I also like your description of all this as a "bonanza", 'cause that's what it is.:D Here's a direct link and it starts at 55:22.

http://www.forcecast.net/story/indycast/IndyCast_Episode_94_128990.asp

Wow. Amazing. I will definetly give it a listen. Thanks for this Stoo - and of course thanks to Tash relentless efforts.

Now if only there could be podcast only devoted to Young Indy - that would truly be a dream coming true :)

"Nudge, Nudge, wink wink, Say no more" :)

Last edited:

Exulted Unicron

I got vols 1 and 2 off eBay yesterday, found vol 4 yesterday and just paid for that. Right now, I'm sat listening to Vol 1 and I love it. Laurence Rosenthal and Joel McNeely have managed to capture the spirit of Indy and it does sound like John Williams could have done it

InexorableTash

I finally nailed the track from the IndyCast.

DVD Bonus Disc Interactive Timeline - bgAudio.mp3 1:24-2:20
"Your Leave Has Been Canceled" (Paris 1916/Demons of Deception Part 2)
DVD Time Index 1:25:26 - 1:26:10

It's definitely the track; it's the scene where Indy is let out of prison and and visions of Mata Hari facing the firing squad start to appear. During the episode there are additional notes and gunshots over the track, and the end of the track is not used in the episode.

Stoo

Nice going, Tash! I knew you could do it.(y) Sorry that I've been out of it for the past while. No progress on my part but will get back on the case soon enough.

I just got back from Barcelona and have been tripping out on the music from that particular episode. Trying to figure out how to play/write tablature for the "Bistro Guitar" track. Have almost got the main body figured out but am stuck on one, troublesome chord!:mad: Hasta la próxima, amigo!:whip:
Exulted Unicorn said:
I got vols 1 and 2 off eBay yesterday, found vol 4 yesterday and just paid for that. Right now, I'm sat listening to Vol 1 and I love it. Laurence Rosenthal and Joel McNeely have managed to capture the spirit of Indy and it does sound like John Williams could have done it
They are indeed, great. Glad your enjoying 'em. Any favourites?

Stoo

Went over the "Barecelona" episode with a fine toothcomb and did a complete breakdown of all the music. Updated the Young Indy Soundtrack Analysis Sheet accordingly.

One NEW discovery is that the game track, "Revolution - Map 1", is the part where Indy first enters the BARBER SHOP so that's another one in the can! (I also added some notes as to the "unused" portions of tracks from the officially released CD. )

The tricky bit is the segment during the ballet show since it draws heavily from the actual oeuvre, "Scheherazade", and appears to be mixed with original parts from Rosenthal. It's a rather large chunk of music (+6:00). More scrutiny required...:eek: There are traces of "Scheherazade" moments in some of the other Barcelona tunes. In the meantime:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s_pkRH2DZuw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s_pkRH2DZuw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

lairdo

Stoo said:
The tricky bit is the segment during the ballet show since it draws heavily from the actual oeuvre, "Scheherazade", and appears to be mixed with original parts from Rosenthal. It's a rather large chunk of music (+6:00). More scrutiny required...:eek: There are traces of "Scheherazade" moments in some of the other Barcelona tunes.

Yes, that is exactly the case. The ballet sequences were filmed to the music and then that was delivered to us in the sound department. We produced a music only version for Rosenthal and the he composed in and around where the music had to fit the on stage sequences and where he could take liberties (either for the off screen action of the other spies or to bridge different parts of the ballet). I assume George instructed or okayed weaving the classical music into the rest of the score.

Personally, I remember thinking the episode was the funniest we had done yet when we got the edit. But I actually thought it lost some of the punch after we finished the music and sound effects. I don't know why. I just recall the drier dialogue and minimal music audio we received with the picture to be punchier. I can't really think of another episode I worked on that I actually liked less when it was done than when I first saw it. I still like the episode overall - just not as much as I did when it was fresh.

Laird