Bill Morgan and the Mayan Eye!

Andrew Cothill

Ok so maybe the exclamation mark was a little much.

Please let me explain -I'm currently a 3d character animation student at Teesside University - UK, and am planning a jones-esque short film for my final year project. I'd like to use this thread to upload the progress i make with it.

This isn't going to be the best thing since the films, nor will it ever be a festival winner for plot, writing, and/or animation. It's just something fun and hopefully light hearted that i'd really appreciate you guys' feedback on as i go.

Please don't be afraid to speak your mind on it though. Any constructive critique is excellent and as i've already said - i'm not under any illusions about this project's uniqueness or quality.

I'll leave this as the first post and start with the sketches next post - just to keep the intro and the actual pre production seperate.

Thanks for reading. :D

Andrew Cothill

Character idea sketches

These are just a few veeeery rough sketches of what i want the characters to look like. I don't want any of this film to be complex and as such, i want to keep the designs incredibly simple also.

Firstly - Bill Morgan (the Indy homage himself):

Bill.jpg

His sidekick - Oscar:

Oscar.jpg

This Guy's the main baddy, oh yes indeedy - Mr. Kujo:

Kujo.jpg

These sketches are for the heavies - Guido and Felippe:

guidoFelippe.jpg

There's also Kate, Bill's estranged wife whom i'm still sketching at the minute. I'm finding it particularly difficult to use the same angular and minimalist design for a woman without making her look incredibly masculine. My own limitations there.

Please remember that at this stage, anything submitted is just to point my mind towards the character and these sketches are just to show the varieties my mind went through while trying to give the characters bodies
Thanks for looking. =D

Last edited:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I'll say you've got some nice character designs (I am someone who studied 3D animation a little while back).

My only criticism is that your sidekick, Oscar is in terms of his body shape is a bit too similar to your heavies.

I do like the squarish style throughout your designs and yeah, it's not the easiest style to translate for female figures (when I draw I tend to have the opposite problem- I can draw girls, but I can't draw guys!) as female figures are often interpreted in curves. My suggestion would be to look to designs for the "Adventures of Indiana Jones Vol 1" digest comic as that followed a similar style, and had female figures, and even go as far back as Picasso's cubist women for inspiration as to how you may be able to interpret the female figure into this style. Just a couple of possibilities.

Andrew Cothill

Thanks very much for your c&c's Violet:D Do you still have much to do with 3d nowadays?

I understand what you mean about the Oscar/Heavies design but i had planned oscar to be around 1/3 the height of Bill. The heavies design is still too wide also, i'm wanting them to look more like a cross between a refrigerator and a surfboard if that makes sense and also a bit taller than bill.

With Kate's design i'm leaning more towards the wilma/betty variety as i don't want her to be a pin up. More a late 30's - 40 year old woman who's given the best years of her life to Bill. I think that maybe all this will make sense when you know the plot.

Actually, while i'm here i'd like to ask advice of whether it's ok to actually put the script on here. I know that my ideas will not be of the "hot cakes" variety for plaguerists but you never know. I've a couple of friends' work that was ripped directly from their showreels.:eek:

Thanks again.