Digitally Shrinking Corey Carrier

Stoo

A few articles I've read regarding the new footage in "The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones" DVDs state that a digitally-shrunk Corey Carrier was used in some shots to compensate for his growth in height. I have yet to see any evidence of this so I don't believe it (but I could be wrong). Obviously, his most glaring height difference is in the "Tangiers" segment of "My First Adventure" so if there was any digital manipulation, it would most likely be in this episode. I just don't see any signs of it. Has anyone noticed anything or is it just bunkem? Maybe the idea was planned & then scrapped?:confused:

Unfortunately, I'm unable to cite my sources because I can't find/remember them offhand, however, I did see the same claim on the IndyWiki (which was probably a graft from one of the articles).

phantom train

Stoo said:
A few articles I've read regarding the new footage in "The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones" DVDs state that a digitally-shrunk Corey Carrier was used in some shots to compensate for his growth in height. I have yet to see any evidence of this so I don't believe it (but I could be wrong). Obviously, his most glaring height difference is in the "Tangiers" segment of "My First Adventure" so if there was any digital manipulation, it would most likely be in this episode. I just don't see any signs of it. Has anyone noticed anything or is it just bunkem? Maybe the idea was planned & then scrapped?:confused:

Unfortunately, I'm unable to cite my sources because I can't find/remember them offhand, however, I did see the same claim on the IndyWiki (which was probably a graft from one of the articles).

Thanks for bringing this up - I myself have also wondered about this "alleged" digital shrinking, and don't remember reading anything official about this. The only thing I remember is that at around the time the first DVD set came out in October 2007 (has it really been that long?!), some people online (including these boards) mentioned that C.C. had been digitally shrunk in the "Tangiers" segment to make his appearance more in line with the way the character looked in the other "little Indy" segments.

If the character was digitally shrunk, the technology used was probably similar to what was used in the LOTR theatrical films, when the Hobbits (Frodo, Samwise, etc.) were shrunk to look much smaller than they actually were - if memory serves, these effects were so subtle and well-done that it was not at all obvious - they actually did look like small people.

Junior Jones

phantom train said:
If the character was digitally shrunk, the technology used was probably similar to what was used in the LOTR theatrical films...these effects were so subtle and well-done that it was not at all obvious - they actually did look like small people.

In Young Indy, however, the effects are so subtle that it doesn't look like anything was done at all, and Corey does not look like a small person (unless he was actually six-feet tall).

I don't think they put much extra effort into the new footage for the re-edited films. They didn't even bother with something as simple as giving Flannery a haircut for consistency. I doubt they did any digital size manipulation.

T.E.Lawrence

Stoo said:

The same thing bothered me for a few years but at the end I came to a similar conclusion. Until we get some expanded info on this there is nothing indicative of this to a naked eye. As "Junior" says they didn't bother to solve the hair issues with SPF in the first place.

Johnny Nys

Seize isn't the only tell of age. How about voice, the general appearance of the face? I didn't notice anything digitally altered in that episode. Carrier looked his age, thus older than in other episodes in that dvd order.