Indy and World War II

British_Lion_2003

The three Indiana Jones films conveniently happen just before World War 2. Do you think that they might of done more films in the 1990's (based in 1940's but for the fact they would of had to address what Indiana did during World War 2?

Also what do you think Indy would of done. Intellegence or serving in asia or europe? Ot nothing.

HovitosKing

Since most of our WWII soldiers, aside from officers, were draft age (18-24 years), I would have to say that Indiana Jones would have continued teaching and searching for lost artifacts during WWII. Of course, he would have bought lots of war bonds to help support our troops.

British_Lion_2003

Indy doesnt seem the type of person that would excuse me french ***** out of sumfin of such a large importance to his country and the world.

Joe Brody

I agree. I don't think IJ sat at home as the local Air Raid Warden and fought the battle of Bedford Falls. Unless the mileage 4-F'd him, I'd like to say that he volunteered and served -- one way or another.

00Kevin

Indyfan
probubly, besides, war doesn't seem to fit indy's charactor, it seemed wierd to even have him in WW1. I think between what he did for the US in Raiders and the comics and stuff set during WW2, he has more then made up for it

HovitosKing

Webley, exactly. Not saying Indy didn't want to help his country out in the European theatre, but most, if not all, of our soldiers were draftees. Indy served in WWI, and most middle-aged men weren't actively fighting on the front overseas. If Indy was an officer in the Army or Navy, then I would say he was there. Since he wasn't, I don't see him throwing on a uniform and joining the 18-24 year olds as a private.

Joe Brody

Given his age, prior military service, and other skills (language, etc.), I assume that had IJ volunteered, he would have been given a commission with a rank of captain (Army). He could easily have commanded an infantry company -- and even with his limited piloting skills (which was more than a lot of WWII pilots) I could see serving as a bomber pilot in the Army Air Corps. Most likely he would have been assigned to some general's staff doing G2 stuff.

WWII wasn't called the 'Big One' for nothin'. The stakes were huge, and those who could contribute, did. I don't see him sitting it out.

[Edited by Joe Brody on 11-12-2003 at 01:50 pm]

Shipwreck

Moderator Emeritus
I can answer this one...

Lucas does not want to see Indy in WWII. The Nazis and timeline were chosen because they were the years when adventure was real and Nazis are hated by everyone anyway.

Joe Brody

I agree with what Shipwreck's saying about Lucas and there not being any IJ WWII movies. I'm just talking hypothetically about what the IJ character and what he would have done during the war.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Hmm...I see him as doing intelligence work, personally. The U.S. wouldn't want him doing anything where he could be killed as one of the many and instead do something that suited his own personal talents better - keeping Hitler from getting valuable propaganda tools.

Joe Brody

Attila The Professor,

[Jokingly] When you talk about Uncle Sam finding a way to get the most out of IJ, you realize you are talking about the same government that stuck the Ark in a warehouse?

sjmking

A while ago I took an Anthropology class and I discovered that a shipment of Peking Man fossils (Sinanthropus pekinensis) went missing in 1941 after being shipped from China to the U.S. When they were shipped the fossils were on the boat and when they arrived in the U.S they were gone. And to this day they have not been found.

I would have loved to see the U.S hire Indy Jones to find them their missing fossils and throw in some nazis and we got ourself a movie!

But like Shipwreck said Lucas doesn't want Indy in WWII :(

for more info on Peking Man go to this site
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/peking.html

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
Attila The Professor,

[Jokingly] When you talk about Uncle Sam finding a way to get the most out of IJ, you realize you are talking about the same government that stuck the Ark in a warehouse?

Naturally...but whether or not they understood the true power of the Ark is irrelevent.

At the very least, they knew the High Command would have used the Ark as propaganda, even if they did not believe it had any "superstitious hocus-pocus" within it, like the Great Whatzit Box.

British_Lion_2003

Webley said:
Indy did his time in WW1. I think he sat WW2 out.

Indy has such hate for the nazis and an understanding of right and wrong. Its not like his life could of gone on as usual with the war on and all. I think its best that they had the gap between 3 and 4 so they dont have to go in to detail of what he did and just say that he served the his country and the allies.

westford

sjmking said:
A while ago I took an Anthropology class and I discovered that a shipment of Peking Man fossils (Sinanthropus pekinensis) went missing in 1941 after being shipped from China to the U.S. When they were shipped the fossils were on the boat and when they arrived in the U.S they were gone. And to this day they have not been found.

I would have loved to see the U.S hire Indy Jones to find them their missing fossils and throw in some nazis and we got ourself a movie!

But like Shipwreck said Lucas doesn't want Indy in WWII :(

for more info on Peking Man go to this site
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/peking.html
Dirk Pitt's been there and done that ;)

bob

Hmmmm

I really dont think that Indy should be involved in WWII it just doesnt fit in with his genre or the character.

Indy is a maverick working on his own agenda who acts heroicly out of nessecity with a certain amount of moral ambuiguity (in Raiders at least)

He does not belong in the Second World War as this would take so much away from the setting and turn him into one of those Red Blooded American hero propoganda figures of the matinees which he would have become if Indy had been a real matinee character.

In my opinion Indy should fall off the Reichenbech falls (i.e. Sherlock Holmes) for the duration of the war and then not reappear when he can exist again post 1945.

Joe Brody

bob said:
In my opinion Indy should fall off the Reichenbech falls (i.e. Sherlock Holmes) for the duration of the war and then not reappear when he can exist again post 1945.

I understand your and Lucas's logic and maybe WWII should be a blank page for IJ -- but I can't let you off that easily. Hypothetically, say you are a writer kicking back in a swanky Skywalker Ranch office and you're tasked with coming up a backstory for what IJ did during WWII -- would you (i)write that IJ fought the battle of Bedford Falls, (ii) say IJ did Intelligence/G2 stuff and hepled win the war, or (iii) quit your job on the principle -- to be true to the character. I'm just having fun here and kicking it around.

bob

Joe Brody said:
bob said:

I understand your and Lucas's logic and maybe WWII should be a blank page for IJ -- but I can't let you off that easily. Hypothetically, say you are a writer kicking back in a swanky Skywalker Ranch office and you're tasked with coming up a backstory for what IJ did during WWII -- would you (i)write that IJ fought the battle of Bedford Falls, (ii) say IJ did Intelligence/G2 stuff and hepled win the war, or (iii) quit your job on the principle -- to be true to the character. I'm just having fun here and kicking it around.

I would of course go with the option in which Indy was involved as little as possible with the military