Can we get Indy around the globe ?

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
Brilliant photos, Stoo!

Just as Indy's stay with you comes to an end you get your best shots of him in action! Now you have the knack of photographing mini-Indy you'll have to have one with you every where you globe trot in future.
Comments appreciated, Matt.:) I haven't had an action figure since "Empire Strikes Back". Now that Dr. Jones has left, I want a mini-Indy for my own.:eek:
inky_skin said:
That last group of shots are epic Stoo! Have you changed your technique or your camera?
Thanks a lot, Sir Ink! Same camera but new technique, more time (not guerilla-style), better wind conditions + Blue-Tac putty!, familiarity with the flexibility & limitations of the figure...Many factors! (I have a good tip for hand-held-Indy which I'll elaborate on later...)

More photos are coming up (though, the Malta ones are fuzzy:(). Since Indy had to be repackaged, I used the opportunity to take him to one last, luscious location and achieved some cool shots!(y)
inky_skin said:
So - someone remind me where Indy is heading now ? I know he's going to Le Sab, but I'm a little hazy on the location...
16 - West Coast USA: San Francisco area en route to Afghanistan or New Jersey (Le Saboteur)

So much for one, nice, linear red path across your global map!:eek:

Lance Quazar

Your last group of pictures truly are excellent, Stoo! Way to work in some adventure there for our intrepid archaeologist. VERY well done and the photography is gorgeous.

Thanks for getting this project off to a STELLAR beginning! Bravo!

Stoo

More Indy in La Suisse

"I managed to get within the walls of Neuchâtel's castle...Now it's a matter of following the clues to find the coin's location..."

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_10.jpg

"Got it! Wasn't hard to do but this thing is too BIG to put in my bag..."

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_11.jpg

"Bad guys have found me! Hope this flagpole is close enough for a fast escape...or I'm going to get a few broken bones!"
(The Alps can barely be seen in this shot. They are the grey/yellow-ish band above the horizon.)

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_12.jpg

Le Saboteur

"The headwinds over the Atlantic really delayed my arrival. Still, it's good to be back on this side of the pond -- for now. If only my layover weren't so brief!"

4699474782_1bd2aaf036.jpg

"Do you see that!? I never thought I would see a pyramid in this country, least of all San Francisco. I'll have to explore it the next time I come through."

4698846451_2ce9cb5424.jpg

"The Rock brings back memories. I wonder how Al Brown is enjoying the hospitality?"

4698847761_a3c73426d8.jpg

Indy arrived safely on Friday. Unfortunately, it was far too late to do anything with him until after the weekend. He'll be winging his way to Billy Ray presently! In the meantime, there are a couple other snaps over here.

Last edited:

inky_skin

Bravo Le Sab ! Congratulations on becoming the latest custodian of the travelling Indy. Great shots too - really iconic. Make sure you add to the diary before you send him on his way...

You guys are capturing the Spielberg style: a lot of movement and action in the frame. Love the Ameican Flag and the wake, so far Indy leaping inches it out as my favorite!

The historic landmarks are VERY important, (and cool) too.

Stoo

Going Mobile!

Le Saboteur said:
Indy arrived safely on Friday. Unfortunately, it was far too late to do anything with him until after the weekend. He'll be winging his way to Billy Ray presently! In the meantime, there are a couple other snaps over here.
Nice to see he made it promptly & safely to The Bay Area. Indy afloat! The top photo is the nicest but you have a splendid one of him under the bridge in your other batch. Well worth posting!:whip:

How was your shoot? Any experiences of nearly losing Indy overboard? Did you meet any chicks?:p Love your Capone reference!:D Can't wait for Indy's return trip to see him with a cable-car (and BART). I've got some rail-related shots coming up...
inky_skin said:
Make sure you add to the diary before you send him on his way...
Speaking of the diary, I made scans of the pages & 'artifacts' and would like to post them. (Inky, your page has your full name on it so don't know if you'd want me to post your page.) Saboteur should tell you what he added...
Rocket Surgeon said:
You guys are capturing the Spielberg style: a lot of movement and action in the frame. Love the Ameican Flag and the wake, so far Indy leaping inches it out as my favorite!
Thanks, Rock-O. The leap pic came out rather well but I'm saving my personal favourites for the end of my run. I literally took several HUNDREDS of photographs. That is the beauty of a digital camera.

The photo in the castle courtyard was the scene of a smiley encounter with yet another curious female. (This one had black, bobbed hair like Spalko.)
Lance Quazar said:
Your last group of pictures truly are excellent, Stoo! Way to work in some adventure there for our intrepid archaeologist. VERY well done and the photography is gorgeous.

Thanks for getting this project off to a STELLAR beginning! Bravo!
Cheers, Lance. Much appreciated.:hat: My party with Indy was a blast but I'm now going through withdrawal. Can't wait to see Indy in Culver F'ing City. (When it comes your turn, I have a request.;))
indy dave said:
Those are some excellent pictures Stoo. This thread has really captured my interest!
Thanks a lot and glad you're enjoying them! Where do you live, indy dave? Feel like signing up?

Stoo

More Indy in Switzerland

"This particular funicular is down for maintenance...Damn! I'm looking for a fast escape by rail!"

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_13.jpg

"Freight train...My only chance!...Oh, NO...LOST MY GRIP! Can't...hold...on..."

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_14.jpg

"The FDR goons nabbed me & tied me up TIGHT like a damsel in distress! Gotta break free of these ro-...":eek::dead:

Indy_Switz_Neuchatel_16.jpg

Up Next...MALTA!(y)

inky_skin

Ha ! The perils of Indy - very cool Stoo.

Stoo said:
Speaking of the diary, I made scans of the pages & 'artifacts' and would like to post them. (Inky, your page has your full name on it so don't know if you'd want me to post your page.)
No problem mate - I have no issue with people knowing my secret identity...

Montana Smith

Le Sab, great to see you picking up where Stoo left off...

And great to see that Stoo hasn't quite left off yet! (y)

What a cliffhanger - tied to the rail tracks. We know he escapes, but we don't know how he's going to do it yet!

Le Saboteur

4698844783_6681fbb801.jpg

Stoo said:
Nice to see he made it promptly & safely to The Bay Area. Indy afloat! The top photo is the nicest but you have a splendid one of him under the bridge in your other batch. Well worth posting!:whip:

Thanks, Stoo! He arrived in excellent condition, even though the package was slit open. I wonder if the Federales were curious about the contents?

Stoo said:
How was your shoot? Any experiences of nearly losing Indy overboard? Did you meet any chicks?:p Love your Capone reference!:D Can't wait for Indy's return trip to see him with a cable-car (and BART).

The shoot was, well, lacking. Since this was just a slingshot out to Billy Ray, I didn't really get too involved in it. I'll wait for Indy's return trip to really sink my teeth into the project!

That said, it was fun! There's a definitely learning curve to the figure, and to the photography. Given Indy's size, it definitely takes some creative framing to at at least attempt to make it relative to the surroundings. Some things though, just won't give no matter how much I tried. Maybe I'll have better luck when I have more time with the figure.

It's been windy out on the Bay this past week, and as such the chop was extra... choppy. Fortunately, no real threats of Indy falling over this time! Though, while I was attempting to capture the classic Otis Redding shot, a seagull was looking overly interested so I passed on it for now.

And, yes, I'm looking forward to Indy returning! I have a whole list of places that I'd like to take Indy to.

Stoo said:
Saboteur should tell you what he added...

Yes, I suppose I should. The diary that was initially included is rad, really looks like something Indy would've carried with him across the globe. However, based on Stoo's scribblings and my scratches, it would be filled up well before the journey ends. To help combat this, I added a couple of mini-composition books to the package. At 80-pages each, they should help out tremendously!

Rocket Surgeon said:
You guys are capturing the Spielberg style: a lot of movement and action in the frame. Love the American Flag and the wake...

Thanks Rocket! :hat: It was taken on something of a lark to "show" that Indy had actually made it to this side of the planet. Hopefully we can continue this trend as Indy makes his way 'round the globe.

InexorableTash

Le Saboteur said:
And, yes, I'm looking forward to Indy returning! I have a whole list of places that I'd like to take Indy to.

The Bay Area participants should probably coordinate, so we don't steal each others' favorite spots... and/or plan some group outings. There are a couple of obvious candidates for a get-together/commemorative shoot.

Not urgent, though.

Le Saboteur

inky_skin said:
Bravo Le Sab ! Congratulations on becoming the latest custodian of the travelling Indy. Great shots too - really iconic. Make sure you add to the diary before you send him on his way...

Thanks Inky! Diary was noted! And I hope to have some more" iconic" shots the next time through!

"They said the Nile Hall was on this street! Gotta make it to the conference on empiricism."

4705603232_4742ae2b33.jpg

"Maybe it's over on this side of the street? They should really address these streets better."

4705603626_d2da54f3b0.jpg

"No, not here. I'm going to be late. I know it."

4704960661_ef8ed67b49.jpg

"Ah! Found it!"

4705603482_8d4550ae35.jpg

Stoo

inky_skin said:
Ha ! The perils of Indy - very cool Stoo.

No problem mate - I have no issue with people knowing my secret identity...
Great, Inky! Will post the pages towards the end of my run. (Speaking of which...I've had more than my share of time with the figure but I WILL be DRIVING down to the bottom of Italy + Sicily in August, possibly passing through Venice...:D)

To save you the trouble, here are the updates. Following your form, the Canadian entries have the Province 1st and City 2nd. The details are meant simply to show that Indy actually travelled to 2 different provinces during his stay in The Great White North. (Reorganize as you see fit.)

01 - UK (inky_skin) - DEPARTED 06-May-10
02 - Switzerland: Neuchâtel (Stoo) - ARRIVED 11-May-10 / DEPARTED 13-May-10
03 - Canada: Ontario, Kingston (Stoo) - ARRIVED 13-May-10 / DEPARTED 16-May-10
04 - Canada: Quebec, Montreal (Stoo) - ARRIVED 16-May-10 / DEPARTED 23-May-10
05 - Switzerland: Neuchâtel (Stoo) - ARRIVED 24-May-10 / DEPARTED 28-May-10
06 - Malta (Stoo) - ARRIVED 28-May-10 / DEPARTED 31-May-10
07 - Switzerland: Neuchâtel (Stoo) - ARRIVED 31-May-10 / DEPARTED 07-June-10
08 - West Coast USA: San Francisco / Oakland??? (Le Saboteur) ARRIVED 11-June-10 / DEPARTED 14???-June-10
09 - Afghanistan (Billy Ray) - ARRIVING ???
10 - East Coast USA: New Jersey / Princeton (Rocket Surgeon) TIME WILL TELL...

Jeremiah Jones said:
How have I only noticed this thread now?
Great stuff guys..
Yee-haw! JEREMIAH!:hat: Like Inky said, are you going to sign up? You could take Indy to his school AND to Henry Sr.'s house! All aboard the Indy Train!:whip:
Montana Smith said:
What a cliffhanger - tied to the rail tracks. We know he escapes, but we don't know how he's going to do it yet!
Neither do I!:eek: The chance to escape probably came in the form of an extremely strong & sudden gust of wind. (His worst enemy on this globe-trot momentarily became his saviour.)

Re: rail shots. At first, I hopped the fence and was actually down on the tracks but an approaching train blew the heck out it's whistle as it passed. The engineer gave me an angry look and I later got told off by railroad security who came by. Got away with a warning instead of a fine. Phew! (Unlike back home, they are very strict here.) Anyway, the perspective from above the tracks was much better (and safer).
InexorableTash said:
The Bay Area participants should probably coordinate, so we don't steal each others' favorite spots... and/or plan some group outings. There are a couple of obvious candidates for a get-together/commemorative shoot.
Good ideas, Tash. Would love to see a shot of an assembled Bay Area Contingent. Harkening back to Inky's 1st post of the thread, it would make things more 'connected'. (Before we parted ways, I took a photo of myself & mini-Indy:eek:)

@ Le Saboteur: The top photo of your 2nd batch...My intial impression was Indy as a blind man!:p Your bridge shot has nice atmosphere. I really like that one.:) This post is becoming too long so I'll get back to you later...:)

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Neither do I!:eek: The chance to escape probably came in the form of an extremely strong & sudden gust of wind. (His worst enemy on this globe-trot momentarily became his saviour.)

Ha! :D

Stoo said:
Re: rail shots. At first, I hopped the fence and was actually down on the tracks but an approaching train blew the heck out it's whistle as it passed. The engineer gave me an angry look and I later got told off by railroad security who came by. Got away with a warning instead of a fine. Phew! (Unlike back home, they are very strict here.) Anyway, the perspective from above the tracks was much better (and safer).

Accompanying Indy was always a dangerous occupation!