TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Collecting Indy
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #151
inky_skin
IndyFan
 
inky_skin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Devon, UK
Posts: 838
glorbes - nice to see your awesome work continuing. Luke Skywalker - great, simple displays - like it !

As everyone is really raising their game on the customs, I'd like to share a WIP...

Photobucket

Early days, but I think you get the idea...
inky_skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #152
glorbes
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia
Posts: 149
That base is great, Luke Skywalker...I'd love to get into outside dioramas (much like Hemble's work), using fake foliage and miniature train details.

Inky Skin...wow, that mine cart looks fantastic thus far. I can't wait to see the paint job on this bad boy. You should make a few meters of track for it as well
glorbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:40 AM   #153
inky_skin
IndyFan
 
inky_skin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Devon, UK
Posts: 838
glorbes - I'll be using 00 Gauge railway wheels for the minecart, so I'm hoping to buy track off the shelf. I'm planning on scratch-building a mine environment however

Quick question on the paint apps - do you think I should paint it as dark grey metal and weather it down, or start with a dark brown 'rusted' base coat ?

Last edited by inky_skin : 07-07-2008 at 04:04 AM.
inky_skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:19 AM   #154
glorbes
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky_skin
glorbesQuick question on the paint apps - do you think I should paint it as dark grey metal and weather it down, or start with a dark brown 'rusted' base coat ?

I'd start with a gray basecoat, and dirty it up from there. The weathering will look more natural that way. Adding rust effects with paint is always a lot of fun That's how I would do it anyway, but it might be neat to try the reverse and start from the rusty red/brown.
glorbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:25 AM   #155
tnswman
IndyFan
 
tnswman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: East, Tennessee
Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorbes
I'd start with a gray basecoat, and dirty it up from there. The weathering will look more natural that way. Adding rust effects with paint is always a lot of fun That's how I would do it anyway, but it might be neat to try the reverse and start from the rusty red/brown.


I agree, weather it natural...Start with a new car and weather it down. those are some GREAT details on that Mine cart


For Engines, The old Gi Joe vehicles had a variety of good engines.
tnswman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #156
inky_skin
IndyFan
 
inky_skin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Devon, UK
Posts: 838
glorbes - was thinking about your engine issue. If you want to scratch-build, I may have a suggestion. Here in the UK, some lighbulbs are now packaged in vacuformed clamshells. While shopping at my local DIY store last weekend, I noticed some 'teardrop' bulbs packed in this manner - the shape and size approximates to the engine cowlings you'd require (and at a push, you could cut the tip off for the propeller 'nose').

tnswman - thanks for the paint suggestion. And thanks again for creating this thread
inky_skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #157
Kali Mah
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky_skin
So...here's Custom Cairo Indy standing in for ToD Indy until he and Mola Ram arrive...

Photobucket

I cannot wait to see the finished product!

You betrayed Shiva!

Kali Mah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:49 AM   #158
glorbes
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky_skin
glorbes - was thinking about your engine issue. If you want to scratch-build, I may have a suggestion. Here in the UK, some lighbulbs are now packaged in vacuformed clamshells. While shopping at my local DIY store last weekend, I noticed some 'teardrop' bulbs packed in this manner - the shape and size approximates to the engine cowlings you'd require (and at a push, you could cut the tip off for the propeller 'nose').


That's a great idea, and I just so happen to have some of that packaging! They may not be sturdy enough, but I'm going to give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion.
glorbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #159
tnswman
IndyFan
 
tnswman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: East, Tennessee
Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorbes
That's a great idea, and I just so happen to have some of that packaging! They may not be sturdy enough, but I'm going to give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion.


Yea, He is right, those are VERY perfect
tnswman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:25 AM   #160
tnswman
IndyFan
 
tnswman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: East, Tennessee
Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky_skin
glorbes - was thinking about your engine issue. If you want to scratch-build, I may have a suggestion. Here in the UK, some lighbulbs are now packaged in vacuformed clamshells. While shopping at my local DIY store last weekend, I noticed some 'teardrop' bulbs packed in this manner - the shape and size approximates to the engine cowlings you'd require (and at a push, you could cut the tip off for the propeller 'nose').

tnswman - thanks for the paint suggestion. And thanks again for creating this thread

My pleasure...I'm so glad there are so many more people like me LOL!
tnswman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #161
glorbes
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia
Posts: 149
Made some minor progress on the Flying Wing before work today...



Added the angled wing tips, cleaned up and hinged the canopy, and detailed the turret dome. The canopy is hinged by drilling holes in both the body and the frame of the canopy, and running cable ties/zip straps through the holes, and cutting off the excess strap:



The clear plastic domes aren't attached, since I still have to putty, prime, and paint this thing (and of course add the engines and propellers), so they're dry-fitted to give a better impression of what this will look like when completed.
glorbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #162
Errex
IndyFan
 
Errex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 185
Exin blocks

Well, I got to fool around with some EXIN blocks I have laying around, and came up with this:







Errex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #163
ChromiumBlue37
IndyFan
 
ChromiumBlue37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 1,296
Outstanding!!! Just wonderful. Love the "castle" like structure. That crate with the chains is very cool, too. Where did you find it??
ChromiumBlue37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #164
glorbes
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia
Posts: 149
What sort of blocks are these? And where do you get them? That looks amazing...it works as both a North African setting and a European castle. Great work, and great photography too!
glorbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #165
Errex
IndyFan
 
Errex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 185
@ChromiumBlue37: The crate with chains comes from the Megabloks Plasma Kreaps line. Those are small-ish creatures that represent classic monsters, like this werewolf:


@Glorbes: These are EXIN blocks, from Exin Castillo sets. These were made originally in Spain by EXIN Manufacturas and in Mexico by EXINMEX back in the 70's, and reissued in 2000 by spanish company Popular de Juguetes, before they tanked too.

They are originally for 2.54 mm scale figures, but can be used for simple 1:18 scale construction, as long as one sticks to basic blocks and arches. Here's an image of what a finished Exin Castle looks like, using scale specific pieces like the conical roof and tower crenelations:

Errex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:37 PM   #166
bonoferox
IndyFan
 
bonoferox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,019
I'm really loving your work, Glorbes.

Nice job on the diorama as well, errex.
My wife is gone for two weeks next week so I'm going to try to start a custom project.
bonoferox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #167
Agent Spalko
Guest
 
Agent Spalko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorbes
Made some minor progress on the Flying Wing before work today...



Added the angled wing tips, cleaned up and hinged the canopy, and detailed the turret dome. The canopy is hinged by drilling holes in both the body and the frame of the canopy, and running cable ties/zip straps through the holes, and cutting off the excess strap:



The clear plastic domes aren't attached, since I still have to putty, prime, and paint this thing (and of course add the engines and propellers), so they're dry-fitted to give a better impression of what this will look like when completed.

That Flying Wing is awesome! Can't wait to see it fully painted.
Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #168
The_Raiders
IndyFan
 
The_Raiders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long View Texas
Posts: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Spalko
That Flying Wing is awesome! Can't wait to see it fully painted.


YOU think something having to with Indiana Jones is awesome?! Spalko LIKES soemthing Indy? Nah, I'm just kiddin with ya spalko, but yes the flying wing is very awesome.
The_Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #169
tnswman
IndyFan
 
tnswman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: East, Tennessee
Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorbes
Thanks for the comment, and for the info. I'll have to give some of this textured spray a go...what is it that you used as a building material for the structure of your playset? I'm thinking about taking a crack at the Well of Souls some time in the future. I have NO clue how I would attempt making the Anubis statues though...that really is the one element that has me completely confounded.

More Flying Wing progress...the c0ckpit!


I designed it as an insert, so that I could paint it separately and make sure the interior gets full paint coverage before I permanently attach it.



A portion of the c0ckpit cover frame is not attached, since I'm going to hinge it to allow access to the completed interior. I'm going to use clear plastic for the glass.



You have sooo much Bondo work coming up LOL!

It's D@MN Amazing!!
tnswman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #170
glorbes
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnswman
You have sooo much Bondo work coming up LOL!

Buddy, you don't know the half of it

I had a day off yesterday, and spent the better part of two hours puttying this thing, and another hour sanding the hell out of it with two grits of sand paper after it had all cured and dried. I sanded outside to avoid getting the dust all over my apartment (and in my lungs)...I was covered in orange dust and had to change and shower as soon as I was finished. Its easy to forget how toxic that crap is...yowza!!
glorbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #171
glorbes
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia
Posts: 149
Raiders Flying Wing Complete!

Raiders Flying Wing


Well, this was an insanely involved project. I really used a lot of curse words while trying to make certain elements work, and I have to say its by far my most complex custom piece to date. There are a million little things that I'm unsatisfied with, but on the whole I'd have to say I'm pretty happy with the end result...especially since I was pretty much making it up as I was going along.




The wingspan, from tip to tip, is 38" and from stem to stern is about 16." Its really, really big.




The landing gear are made from the smallest casters I could find at the hardwar store. The front wheel has a swivel joint in it, which I thought was a fun addition.




The cockpit has space for a figure, and the gun turret has a removable dome to allow for a gunner to sit back there. Unfortunately, the figure needs to rest on its knees in order for this to work, but it looks okay when its closed up.





Scale shots:



And some fun ones:



Side comparison with the Last Crusade Tank:

glorbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #172
ChromiumBlue37
IndyFan
 
ChromiumBlue37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 1,296
My GOD!! You are AMAZING! Great work! We can only hope and pray Hasbro is monitoring these forums.

Hear that Hasbro?? Take a hint from this guy, he's a pro!
ChromiumBlue37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #173
Errex
IndyFan
 
Errex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 185
That plane is gorgeous!

It is such an awesome model, absolutely beautiful. The tank is also excellent, but the flying wing is a definite jewel, in my opinion.
Errex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #174
The Golden Idol
IndyFan
 
The Golden Idol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Peruvian Chachapoyan Temple, 1936
Posts: 951
That is awesome. Wow.
The Golden Idol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:08 PM   #175
Agent Spalko
Guest
 
Agent Spalko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorbes
Raiders Flying Wing


Well, this was an insanely involved project. I really used a lot of curse words while trying to make certain elements work, and I have to say its by far my most complex custom piece to date. There are a million little things that I'm unsatisfied with, but on the whole I'd have to say I'm pretty happy with the end result...especially since I was pretty much making it up as I was going along.




The wingspan, from tip to tip, is 38" and from stem to stern is about 16." Its really, really big.




The landing gear are made from the smallest casters I could find at the hardwar store. The front wheel has a swivel joint in it, which I thought was a fun addition.




The cockpit has space for a figure, and the gun turret has a removable dome to allow for a gunner to sit back there. Unfortunately, the figure needs to rest on its knees in order for this to work, but it looks okay when its closed up.





Scale shots:



And some fun ones:



Side comparison with the Last Crusade Tank:




OH. MY. GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREATEST CUSTOM EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 AM.