Marion was only 15 when she had affair with Indy?!

Violet Indy said:
Don't know how this is new at all. Wasn't she always 15/16 in their first affair?

Sure, I do admit Lucas' comments about her being 12 is kind of shocking, but ultimately didn't come to be (unless you believe the dates and desciptions in the Ultimate Guide, where it states that Indy and Marion first met in late 1920, in which case I'm willing to bet Marion just had a school girl crush on him at that particular time, no affairs or anything of that nature).

Violet, what would you have done when you were 15/16?

Obviously Marion is assertive and independant, no telling when she developed these personality traits, yet it seems if she traveled the world so young it's not unlikely she had them early.

She knew what she was doing...what do you think Violet?

Indy's Fist

Back on track, I think this shows what a different take Lucas & Spielberg had on Indy compared to what he became. I think in a revisionist way Lucas & Spielberg would have made Marion around 18/19. But in the late 70's & earily 80's GL & SS were a lot bigger risk takers. They wanted IJ to be more "real".

I don't know if anyone else has ade this corrolation but didn't Indy's dad have an affair with a much younger Elsa Schneider? Indy had a hell of a lot of balls to scold his old man for sleeping with a younger woman!

Kevin

Darth Vile said:
I know I've mentioned this in another thread, but the movie has always suggested that Indy/Marions relationship was a bit inappropriate... to paraphrase, ?I never meant to hurt you?, "It was wrong and you knew it". My reading (and I accept that this is only my interpretation) is that Indy sort of corrupted her i.e. he was the older man and she was the naïve girl.

I always figured that "I never meant to hurt you" referred to Indy leaving Marion, which hurt her when it happened, in addition to the relationship itself, which hurt Marion later when she grew older and realized that she was too young at 15 for sex.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Obviously Marion is assertive and independant, no telling when she developed these personality traits, yet it seems if she traveled the world so young it's not unlikely she had them early.

It's true, I've met 15 year-olds who are more mature and responsible than people my own age. It really depends on the person's upbringing and personality.

Texas

I can just imagine NBC's "To Catch a Predator" host Chris Hansen showing up to Indy's house and saying "Why don't you take a seat over there, Indy?"

Indy's Fist

Texas said:
I can just imagine NBC's "To Catch a Predator" host Chris Hansen showing up to Indy's house and saying "Why don't you take a seat over there, Indy?"

Ha! I love it! I bet Indy would get away from the cops at the end too!

Kevin

Indy's Fist said:
I don't know if anyone else has ade this corrolation but didn't Indy's dad have an affair with a much younger Elsa Schneider? Indy had a hell of a lot of balls to scold his old man for sleeping with a younger woman!

Yes, but there is an important difference; there was around a decade's age difference between Indy and Marion, but there was at least 30 years between Elsa and Henry Sr.

The Drifter

Kevin said:
Yes, but there is an important difference; there was around a decade's age difference between Indy and Marion, but there was at least 30 years between Elsa and Henry Sr.

Elsa was a grown woman however.

Vance

Actually, from the take I get (particularly through the rest of the movie), it seemed like Marion was the agressive one, and resented Indiana leaving as things got too serious - and the fallout with Abner really began. Indiana left because he felt it was neccessary. It's pretty clear, even in Raiders, that he always had strong feelings for her - and they lasted.

15 being young, though, hard to say. The age difference is easy to shun now, but remember that in that period, if you were an unmarried female at 20, you were already an old maid - something was wrong with you.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Rocket Surgeon said:
Violet, what would you have done when you were 15/16?

She knew what she was doing...what do you think Violet?

My point was about her being 12 and having a school girl crush being more likely than an affair at 12 (in my opinion anyway, take it or leave it). Nothing to do with her affair at the age of 15/16 with Indy, which I find more believable and consistent with the Indy timeline.

What would I have done? Absolutely nothing to anyone that many years older than me. Friends, but that's about it.

Did she know what she was doing? Marion the way she is, with a lot of worldly knowledge at a young age, very likely that she knew what she was doing. It's very possible that she could have been doing it in part, to get the attention of her obsessed father, who didn't care for her otherwise. She was looking for love and attention that she just wasn't getting from Abner.

Violet Indy said:
My point was about her being 12 and having a school girl crush being more likely than an affair at 12 (in my opinion anyway, take it or leave it). Nothing to do with her affair at the age of 15/16 with Indy, which I find more believable and consistent with the Indy timeline.

What would I have done? Absolutely nothing to anyone that many years older than me. Friends, but that's about it.

Did she know what she was doing? Marion the way she is, with a lot of worldly knowledge at a young age, very likely that she knew what she was doing. It's very possible that she could have been doing it in part, to get the attention of her obsessed father, who didn't care for her otherwise. She was looking for love and attention that she just wasn't getting from Abner.

Thanks for the response, always a good thing to get the female perspective...especially in a (up to now) predominantly one sided conversation.

"I LEARNED TO HATE YOU IN THE PAST TEN YEARS"

Worth mentioning is her response to Indy when he said you knew what you were doing.

NOW I DO

But in the way men percieve women...she says one thing but does another;

THIS IS MY PLACE...GET OUT

She DID send Mohan away.

Robyn

Rocket Surgeon said:
Thanks for the response, always a good thing to get the female perspective...especially in a (up to now) predominantly one sided conversation.

"I LEARNED TO HATE YOU IN THE PAST TEN YEARS"

Worth mentioning is her response to Indy when he said you knew what you were doing.

NOW I DO

But in the way men percieve women...she says one thing but does another;

THIS IS MY PLACE...GET OUT

She DID send Mohan away.

I'm female as well, sometimes I wonder whether the male fans see only the action and adventure and whether they notice the relationship stuff, Marion and Indy's I mean...

ronicle said:
I'm female as well, sometimes I wonder whether the male fans see only the action and adventure and whether they notice the relationship stuff, Marion and Indy's I mean...

Well, I'm Male and glad to meet you!

Now that I know, I'll pose the same question...what would you have done when you were 15/16, AND what were you doing?

I don't want sordid details, I'm looking for the more attitudes towards boys/men, level of attraction/repusion. Do you think it's possible/probable for a girl that age to possess the maturity to know/appreciate and handle that kind of experience/relationship? Is it more of I'm ready to "give it a try", curiosity and the cat type attitude?

Robyn

Rocket Surgeon said:
Well, I'm Male and glad to meet you!

Now that I know, I'll pose the same question...what would you have done when you were 15/16, AND what were you doing?

I don't want sordid details, I'm looking for the more attitudes towards boys/men, level of attraction/repusion. Do you think it's possible/probable for a girl that age to possess the maturity to know/appreciate and handle that kind of experience/relationship? Is it more of I'm ready to "give it a try", curiosity and the cat type attitude?

It's absolutely possible for a girl 15/16 to have the maturity of a woman twice that age.. I'm 26 now but when I was 15, I had the exact same attitude toward life as I do now.. but honestly I was attracted to boys at that age but in no way desired to have teen sex.. Now I know there are a lot of girls out there who are/were not like me and did but I really don't see Marion that way, I think Indy was something she wasn't planning on and actually fell really badly for him... I dont think she normally would have affairs like that.. she doesn't seem like that at all.. and Indy did say in the Raiders novel that he saw her as a woman and not as a teen, because of her maturity.. but we all know there are teen flirts and or sluts looking for curiosity teen sex out there but Marion wasn't one of those.

Now I'd like to hear your view.. can you understand how a 25/26 year old Indy could/would fall for a 15/16 year old Marion?

Last edited:
ronicle said:
It's absolutely possible for a girl 15/16 to have the maturity of a woman twice that age.. I'm 26 now but when I was 15, I had the exact same attitude toward life as I do now.. but honestly I was attractive to boys at that age but in no way desired to have teen sex.. Now I know there are a lot of girls out there who are/were not like me and did but I really don't see Marion that way, I think Indy was something she wasn't planning on and actually fell really badly for him... I dont think she normally would have affairs like that.. she doesn't seem like that at all.. and Indy did say in the Raiders novel that he saw her as a woman and not as a teen, because of her maturity.. but we all know there are teen flirts and or sluts looking for curiosity teen sex out there but Marion wasn't one of those.

Now I'd like to hear your view.. can you understand how a 25/26 year old Indy could/would fall for a 15/16 year old Marion?

Damn it you're putting me on the spot.

On a physical level, I remember a girl in my class in FORTH GRADE who was fully developed! Big curves and a HUGE chest...in a certain way I feel sorry for her now. I don't see Marion in that way.

On an emotional level I remember in SECOND GRADE, being teased by brothers and friends for being in love with an older girl and it didn't bother me in the least. It was true and it was partly physical, looking back onit she reminds me of Karen Allen quite a bit! She was mousy, which means petite and very cute. She was not like other girls, gossip-y and giggle-y and I pined away for her for a long time. We finally stole away to the choir loft in church and had an unforgetable romantic, (nonsexual) moment. I still smile today.

Marion strikes me as this type.

Now to the difficult question, I was once propositioned by a young girl by way of a four page love letter and I wrote her back the requist you'll find the right person/don't rush it type response.

I imagine if the stars were aligned, (code for a virtually impossible set of situations and requirements all happening at once), it's not improbable.

Hell if she could speak seven languages, if she wasn't vapid...the list goes on but if she was anything like Indy was when he was a boyscout, sure I could see it.

Robyn

Rocket Surgeon said:
Damn it you're putting me on the spot.

On a physical level, I remember a girl in my class in FORTH GRADE who was fully developed! Big curves and a HUGE chest...in a certain way I feel sorry for her now. I don't see Marion in that way.

On an emotional level I remember being teased by brothers and friends for being in love with an older girl and it didn't bother me in the least. It was true and it was partly physical, looking back onit she reminds me of Karen Allen quite a bit! She was mousy, which means petite and very cute. She was not like other girls, gossip-y and giggle-y and I pined away for her for a long time. We finally stole away to the choir loft in church and had an unforgetable romantic, (nonsexual) moment. I still smile today.

Marion strikes me as this type.

Now to the difficult question, I was once propositioned by a young girl by way of a four page love letter and I wrote her back the requist you'll find the right person/don't rush it type response.

I imagine if the stars were aligned, (code for a virtually impossible set of situations and requirements all happening at once), it's not improbable.

Hell if she could speak seven languages, if she wasn't vapid...the list goes on but if she was anything like Indy was when he was a boyscout, sure I could see it.

Hey that was a good post! It's really interesting to see things from a guys point of view.. like how they must feel when underage girls come on to them.. I think Marion did make the first move on Indy, but I don't think she normally came on to guys, same for Indy I think he had to have been use to younger girls coming on to him and resisted but found something different about Marion..

just out of curiousity, how old were you when that girl sent you that letter?

ronicle said:
Hey that was a good post! It's really interesting to see things from a guys point of view.. like how they must feel when underage girls come on to them.. I think Marion did make the first move on Indy, but I don't think she normally came on to guys, same for Indy I think he had to have been use to younger girls coming on to him and resisted but found something different about Marion..

just out of curiousity, how old were you when that girl sent you that letter?

Every thought in the world goes through your head...from the NO WAY, to hmm, how would that work?

I tend to think they spent a lot of time together on a dig maybe a couple of sites and that Indy saved her from some physical threat. Animal attack (cool idea for a whip scene), natural event, rockslide, something and she was so frightened she jumped into his arms and held tight, then as they parted she planted one on him by way of thanks, and maybe curiosity...and from there it was all eye contact till she finally pushed the issue. I would think Indy was probably her first crush/love.

I never thought of it in Indiana Jones type terms but she was 15/16 and I was 24/25. Hmmmm. She was a very intellegent girl, skipped a grade type and she handed me the letter, must have been nerve wracking! Our rapport was typically repusive. She was always condescending so I would always strike back, (somethings never change I guess) so she went from hate to love and finally her letter was a bit self-deprecating.

Robyn

Rocket Surgeon said:
Every thought in the world goes through your head...from the NO WAY, to hmm, how would that work?

I tend to think they spent a lot of time together on a dig maybe a couple of sites and that Indy saved her from some physical threat. Animal attack (cool idea for a whip scene), natural event, rockslide, something and she was so frightened she jumped into his arms and held tight, then as they parted she planted one on him by way of thanks, and maybe curiosity...and from there it was all eye contact till she finally pushed the issue. I would think Indy was probably her first crush/love.

Hey that's not a bad scene you have set up there, have you ever thought of writing fanfic? I have yet to find one Indy and Marion relationship fanfic written by a guy at fanfiction.net

Rocket Surgeon said:
I never thought of it in Indiana Jones type terms but she was 15/16 and I was 24/25. Hmmmm. She was a very intellegent girl, skipped a grade type and she handed me the letter, must have been nerve wracking! Our rapport was typically repusive. She was always condescending so I would always strike back, (somethings never change I guess) so she went from hate to love and finally her letter was a bit self-deprecating.

Yeah I can imagine a letter like that would be, I definitely can't imagine Marion writting any such letter.. another curiousty question is what kind of setting did you know the girl from?

ronicle said:
Hey that's not a bad scene you have set up there, have you ever thought of writing fanfic? I have yet to find one Indy and Marion relationship fanfic written by a guy at fanfiction.net

Thanks, if you couldn't tell, I'm a big fan of Karen Allen...and Marion. I'm working on an Indy V story. Is fanfiction.net a general site or the Raider.net site? What's your opinion of the Indy Marion relationship stuff there?

Now that you put it in my head, I'd want to write it before reading other ideas/stories.

ronicle said:
Yeah I can imagine a letter like that would be, I definitely can't imagine Marion writting any such letter.. another curiousty question is what kind of setting did you know the girl from?

My brother has his own constuction company and I would help him, in this case build an addition to her family's house. She would speak to me as though I were an uneducated grunt and it would puzzle her when I would either quote Shakespeare..."our faults lie not in our stars, but in ourselves" etc. or challenge her perceptions. I chalk it up to someone speaking to her like an adult for a change.

Robyn

Rocket Surgeon said:
Thanks, if you couldn't tell, I'm a big fan of Karen Allen...and Marion. I'm working on an Indy V story. Is fanfiction.net a general site or the Raider.net site? What's your opinion of the Indy Marion relationship stuff there?

Now that you put it in my head, I'd want to write it before reading other ideas/stories.

I'm a huge fan of hers too! I definitely want to read it if you write one! fanfiction.net is on it's on and has many categories of fan stories, it has a really large Indiana Jones section but it can be hard to find a good read, you have to sift through them to find the really good ones, but there are some. Keep me updated if you go ahead with the your story(s)?

btw if I'd of known you were a fan, I would have asked you to check out the Indy and Marion group --> http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/MarionRavenwoodJones/

Rocket Surgeon said:
My brother has his own constuction company and I would help him, in this case build an addition to her families house. She would speak to me as though I were an uneducated grunt and it would puzzle her when I would either quote Shakespeare..."our faults lie not in our stars, but in ourselves" etc. or challenge her perceptions. I chalk it up to someone speaking to her like an adult for a change.

Just to try and get an idea of what Indy was feeling, did you at all feel attracted to this girl? I'm getting the idea she rather annoyed you lol

StoneTriple

ronicle said:

I hope you're smarter than that, Ronicle.