Temple of Doom Lovers

ronthereviewer

:gun: An outlet to speak about our thoughts on an under-appreciated PREQUEL not SEQUEL....

An action packed adventure showing the dark side of adventure...discuss your thoughts.................

FedoraHead

I for one LOVE IT and did not people hated it or it was unloved until I came here! It damn sure is better than Crystal Skull!

ronthereviewer

Temple

I am a huge fan, the action is non-stop from the time he came out of the spell of Kali till the end on the bridge. How great was it when Short-Round said "he no nuts, he crazy"

Did you like the darkside????

Indy's brother

TOD was/is awesome. I was turned off by it initially, but over the years I have come to really love it! Ron, you are absolutely right about the second half of the movie, I always thought it was a kiddie movie until I watched it with my kid for the first time. (sans heart ripping ;) ). I feel it's a much under-appreciated member of the OT. I kind of pity IJ fans that dislike it, they're really missing out. But no matter, I get to enjoy it!

lao che & sons

I absolutley love temple of doom. It is my favorite Indiana Jones film. The action, comedy, characters, all of it was done almost perfectly. let's start...

the club scene,

this was very energetic, funny at times, and houses my all time favorite INdy moment "that's not a waiter" and the tables turn

then we get that pretty funny short round car chase with "okey doke doca jons hold on to yo potatoes :D

The crazieness of the life raft escape was great, and in my opinion much more crazy then the nuked fridge.

Villains,
Temple of doom houses my top two favorite villains (#3 is toht) number one is Lao Che because of his witty lines, his outlandish behavior, and his almost godfather likeness.

then there's chatter lal. wow. this guy reminds me of the guy running the insane asylum in martin scorcese's "shutter island" they are both great villains, and I love the "nice guy in suit" on the outside appearance but the viewer knows somethings up, then it's revealed the he is no good. (By a big plot that is, or an evil cult in this case;) )

There is another classic car chase: the mine carts, my favorite scene ever: saving willie from being lowered into a giant lava pit of doom, and an awesome finale: the edge-of-your-seat rope bridge fight.

So there's my opinion on Temple of doom. Is it as perfect, beutifully shot, wonderfully scripted, simply amazing counterpart: Raiders of the Lost Ark? the answer is no. But what you get is a great homage to those slightly scarier action serial film of the 30s/40s/50s and the result is wonderful(y)

indyrcks

We are going to die brilliant Ford moment what did you think about the mine cart chase in Temple of Doom?

Indy's brother

indyrcks said:
We are going to die brilliant Ford moment

The best comedic moments in the films are in TOD, that one, his hand-acting ""your other left, the one on your left" "Do it NOW!", and his really awesome drunken swaying dance in front of the cabaret!

lao che & sons

Indy's brother said:
The best comedic moments in the films are in TOD, that one, his hand-acting ""your other left, the one on your left" "Do it NOW!", and his really awesome drunken swaying dance in front of the cabaret!

I beg to differ, the last crusade got many more laughs than temple of doom;)

and I think that the minecart chase was pretty good, but one thing that always killed me was that the John Williams score doesn't kick in until a few minutes into the chase. I wish he wuld've scored the entire chase or none of it, that's one reason why the Raiders truck chase turned out so awesome, becuase of the score

Indy's brother

lao che & sons said:
I beg to differ, the last crusade got many more laughs than temple of doom;)

While "No ticket" in particular was a great gag, the tone of the entire film was lighter, so the payoff on it's humor wasn't as big for me. Don't misread me though, I love LC.

Ajax the Great

While I generally regard Raiders to be the best, Temple is the most rewatchable for me. It's just gushing in mystery and good old pulpy pulp. It's the bravest and most unique of the franchise, I think. Plus, it was the first Indy I saw, so I'll always have a soft spot for it.

DocWhiskey

Temple 'o Doom is my favorite Indy film for sure. Like previously stated, it's the most rewatchable for me. Short Round is my favorite Indy character and Mola Rom is my favorite Indy villain.

ronthereviewer

Temple Rules

You guys know Temple very well, looking it as a prequel it is neat to see Indy as more carefree. Try watching it first then Raiders it give it a different feeling.

I loved it when he went back to save the children and punched out the thugee guard..The minecart was great, if you remember the Temple of Doom arcade game from the early 1980's they had a great level with the minecart.

ronthereviewer

Hey Doc I love when you send in reviews of video games, maybe you can send one in about the Arcade hit- Temple of Doom- I am actually buy an arcade game for my home next Xmas and will be looking for that one...

DocWhiskey said:
Temple 'o Doom is my favorite Indy film for sure. Like previously stated, it's the most rewatchable for me. Short Round is my favorite Indy character and Mola Rom is my favorite Indy villain.

lao che & sons

Indy's brother said:
While "No ticket" in particular was a great gag, the tone of the entire film was lighter, so the payoff on it's humor wasn't as big for me. Don't misread me though, I love LC.

well I get where you're coming from, so what you're saying is that the comedy ind TOD is better because it contrasts a lot more to the over all mood of the film and I agree. But it seemed like LC was built off of gags and humor. But I see where you're coming from.:hat:

lao che & sons

ronthereviewer said:
You guys know Temple very well, looking it as a prequel it is neat to see Indy as more carefree. Try watching it first then Raiders it give it a different feeling.

I loved it when he went back to save the children and punched out the thugee guard..The minecart was great, if you remember the Temple of Doom arcade game from the early 1980's they had a great level with the minecart.

I've always classified TOD as the "first" Indy picture. In my collection I have each piece classified by film and the temple of doom stuff come first. And If I ever want to watch Raiders I watch TOD first. It's just a great film overall, and I'm glad that people are giving it the respect it desirves. My favorite part of the film is the mysterious, hidding something behind the beuty, everything isn't as it seems type of feel to the picture, just the sequnce ehn Indy find ths bug tunnel/ death trap and ultimatley the temple of doom, has such an erie feel to it and the John Williams score only backs that up:whip: :gun: . The feeling is much like "Shutter Island" which I recomend to anyone if they haven't seen it yet ;) ;)

lao che & sons

Indy's brother said:
The drunken dance Ford does that I mentioned a few posts back is the only part of the 4 films that still gets a laugh out of me every time!

That one never made me laugh, it was more of a "cringe moment" for me. The one that still gets me is the cairo swordsman:gun: , and believe it or not the quick sand from KOTCS:p

Ajax the Great

Really, that was a cringe moment for you? I thought it was really funny, and it sort of showed that the poison was getting to him. The quicksand for me was absolutely ridiculous. I know its his phobia, but he was acting completely neurotically. In Raiders he thought he was going to be trapped underground with hundreds of thousands of snakes and in ToD he had to watch people eat them. His dealings with snakes in CS were considerably milder, so it doesn't make sense to me that Indy would go that crazy over it.

There's definitely a character progression from Temple to Raiders. In Temple, Indy is searching for fortune and glory. He's much more of a rogue, and much rougher around the edges.

I love the beginning when the band starts playing Anything Goes amidst all the chaos. That was just such a fun scene to watch.