Indy 4 Deleted Scenes

Attila the Professor

Staff member
mister64 said:
I thought Indy and Dovchenko's fistfight was originally going to be on the Jungle Cutter with Indy winning when Dovchenko was cut to shreds by the giant blades at the front of the vehicle. Does anyone else remember this rumor?

I haven't heard such a rumor that came from an reputable source.

Honestly, as much as I feel there was a lost opportunity there, there's an extent to which I admire the audacity of having such a vehicle and not using it in the most obvious way.

The other point is that just because it's on the box art doesn't mean it was <I>ever</I> intended for an action sequence along those lines.

Dayne

Attila the Professor said:
Honestly, as much as I feel there was a lost opportunity there, there's an extent to which I admire the audacity of having such a vehicle and not using it in the most obvious way.

The other point is that just because it's on the box art doesn't mean it was <I>ever</I> intended for an action sequence along those lines.

Why would you admire the filmakers decision to tease their audience with such a mean lookin' machine as the Jungle Cutter by literally not doing anything with it? I mean, we get to see it for all of what, 15 seconds!? It doesn't even DO anything!!! This is personal to me, as this was the first ever Indiana Jones film that I was able to see in theatres. Before seeing the film, I was so excited because I just knew that they would use the Jungle Cutter in the same fashion as the Flying Wing or Rock Crusher. You'd have to be bat-**** crazy not to! I mean it's INDIANA JONES! What where they thinking? What are YOU thinking! I wonder what all the men and women who poured hours of work and research into designing such an awesome vehicle where thinking when they realized their creation gets annihilated with such blatant ease! The danger and suspense it could have provided, along with a lot of creativity and a couple very entertaining deaths (which no Indy film should be without) could have made this scene on par or even surpass Raiders' Cargo Truck chase! This movie should win an award for "Most Wasted Movie Prop in the History of Film". :mad: :sleep:

Hanselation

Dayne said:
Why would you admire the filmakers decision to tease their audience with such a mean lookin' machine as the Jungle Cutter by literally not doing anything with it? (.....)This movie should win an award for "Most Wasted Movie Prop in the History of Film". :mad: :sleep:

Jungle Cutter="Most Wasted Movie Prop in the History of Film"
:dead: :sick:

You're dead right! (y)

emtiem

Here's my idea for how I'd have liked to have seen the cutter used:

Indy's RPG blows up a truck near the cutter: a bit of wreckage from which kills the driver of the cutter. The cutter then goes out of control (shades of LC tank, admittedly!) and veers right into the jungle and disappears. The chase pretty much goes as in the film except that you could have, say, Indy's duck chasing Spalko's jeep with her possessing the skull, when suddenly the cutter appears from the right directly in front of Spalko. She hits the brakes so as to not be torn up by the driverless machine as it passes in front of her but Indy overtakes her, spins his duck around the front of her jeep, grabbing the skull as he goes, and then tears off down the new path the cutter has made. She could then head back down the path she's already driven down, knowing that the paths should meet again.
So all through the chase, as well as the occupants all switching vehicles and the skull hopping between all of them you could have an out of control cutter occasionally appearing and getting both parties into trouble. Plus it would mean that they could essentially be driving down paths not knowing where they go or what they link up with.

Then, instead of Mutt getting caught in the vines and being left behind: it's Indy. He's left dangling 20ft in the air as the vines snap him upwards, but he turns and sees the cutter heading straight for him! He pulls out a penknife and starts sawing through the vines as quickly as possible, and at the last minute he swings free out of the way of the blades! The return of the swing then lands him on the deck of the cutter: he moves up to the cabin and gives himself one of those Indy-can't-believe-his-own-luck half smiles! Cut to the cliff face where Marion, Mutt et al are being pushed to the edge by Spalko's jeep, when suddenly Indy comes tearing through the treeline in the cutter! He grinds up Spalko's jeep which jams the blades (after making raspberry jam of a couple of commies of course!): the Russians advance on Indy and a fight breaks out on the moving cutter with Mutt hopping aboard to give support- Marion's duck escapes.
Eventually the cutter runs down a steep slope and gets caught in some trees: the crash sending Indy, Mutt and the Russians flying and the mangled jeep into the ants nest. Dovchenko and Indy battle it out, their fight having to hop between various bit of high ground to avoid the ants, when finally the only bit of ground left available to them is under the spinning blades of the cutter, still caught on the slope in the trees by its back wheels! They swing it out some more as the cutter's weight brings it slowly down towards them- they try and force each other's faces into the blades etc. But then Indy is knocked down; he's lying on a log and Dovenchenko is holding him there as the blades are directly above him. Indy manages to kick free and rolls along the log just in time: the log is torn up by the cutter and the half Indy is lying on gets caught on the blade: pulled up around the blade into the air. Indy hangs from the log and lands a kick to Dovenchenko's face just before he is thrown into the air with the log by the force of the spinning blade! Dovenchenko is sent flying back into the other blade: his hand is torn off and he staggers, screaming, into the ants. They then envelop him and drag him away to his death. Indy lands with a thump out of the way of the ants. He sees them swarming towards him however and looks around frantically for a way escape to no avail: just then Ox appears and unveils the skull; using its powers to divert them. They turn around and see the cutter getting covered in ants and dragged down underneath the ground into their nest.

Dayne

That was great emtiem! Except the little bit at the end where the ants drag the cutter down into their nest... that doesn't make much sense. :p But what you have just written would've certainly made the film much more exciting. Good job! :D

Col. Detritch

I agree emtiem, very cool!:cool:

If I did it thought I would have done this:
Indy climbs into the back of the truck and finds the RPG and fires it at the Cutter, but unlike the Raiders style 'quick fix' (shooting the swords man), Indy misses in true Temple of Doom fashion (unable to shoot the Thuggee he must engage him in a sword duel). Indy and the gang climb into the next duck and speed off after the cutter. Indy climbs aboard and knocks the driver to the floor. Meanwhile Dovchenko awakens and head after Indy in the truck. Marion and Mutt come up alongside Irina, who also happens to have Mac and Ox in the same jeep. Mutt, having picked up a sword lunges at Irina and engages her in a duel. Mutt continues to duel until he gains a chance to steal the skull, he does so with gusto. Marion attempts to veer off but is tailed by Irina. Back on the Jungle cutter Indy fends off the driver as he turns the blades for Irina. The driver begins to chock Indy by wrapping his arm around his neck; Indy flicks his head back hitting the driver in the nose. The brawl a little until Indy throws him forwards towards the blades. The driver maintains balance. Indy raises his fist again to strike when a stray branch hits the drive sending him into the window and then backwards and over the edge into the blades. The blood sprays up onto the windshield. Indy knocks out the window and continues to tail Irina. Back with Mutt, he continues to duel Irina when Indy comes up behind them. This distracts Irina Mutt pushes her onto Marion's duck. Marion jumps cars, punches the driver over the side and takes control. Irina is left to control the duck. Dovchenco pulls along side the cutter and fires a machine gun at him agrssivly and runs out of ammo. One of Dovchenko's men climbs aboard the cutter and clambers for control. Indy engages him in struggle for control. Indy elbows the soldier to the floor and gets to the controls. There he turns off the blades and turns for the biggest tree he can see. With that Indy makes a leap over to Marion's jeep and smiles cheekily; we cut to the helpless Russian at the controls screaming as he hits the tree and explodes. Indy then grabs Mac and threatens to push him off the jeep, we get the CIA bit. Then we cut to the final part of the chase (minus the monkeys) on the cliffs edge, 'bumber cars' over the cliff and then Indy pulls away and they crash then we have the Ants sequence and Dovchenco fight as such!:gun:
:hat:

Rhys135

Came across these in some of the UK exclusive books we got (Annuals and Greatest Adventures of) - gives us an idea of what to expect if an extended/alternative intro and the Mac torture scene are released on DVD someday.

l_d0f523e7d1ea44b49e9e8d851e34a5fa.jpg

l_1b2cc29a3cfe4a8d9d5845e4919464e4.jpg

l_a3ae0ca6c68a404393e1461043a8d8bc.jpg

l_c67f4c9088b14edb85d3a0b648d52422.jpg

l_412a854f8b5d4621873f478fdfe4f1af.jpg

l_a7e2348c0f974c949dc71155a19226d5.jpg

l_ec584ca62d0e458286dc3570e592a9c6.jpg

l_0242627969104dbaba874b8717a93085.jpg

l_8e5c94e4ceb64705aaee5d831c81a9b0.jpg

Udvarnoky

Thanks for posting these.

With the screenplay available along with the various novelizations of the film and some very interesting clips in the various behind-the-scenes documentaries, I think TheRaider.net has sufficient resources to compile a pretty extensive deleted scenes page that would rival the ones for the first three films. I would love to see such an effort in the near future.

Stoo

Rhys135 said:
Came across these in some of the UK exclusive books we got (Annuals and Greatest Adventures of) - gives us an idea of what to expect if an extended/alternative intro and the Mac torture scene are released on DVD someday.
Thanks a bunch, Rhys! Sweet collection of deleted snaps!:hat: I LOVE stuff like this.

P.S. I have "Greatest Adventures" but don't know what the "Annuals" are.:eek:
Udvarnoky said:
With the screenplay available along with the various novelizations of the film and some very interesting clips in the various behind-the-scenes documentaries, I think TheRaider.net has sufficient resources to compile a pretty extensive deleted scenes page that would rival the ones for the first three films. I would love to see such an effort in the near future.
It's bound to happen at some point but, yeah, I agree.
Henry said:
Just after this scene, you can see Spalko taking off the sunglasses and giving it to the soldier next to her in the movie:
Didn't notice that. Thanks for pointing it out!:cool:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
P.S. I have "Greatest Adventures" but don't know what the "Annuals" are.:eek:

You don't see the Annuals in Canada, Stoo? The early ones that I remember (for Raiders and TOD) were really hardback comic versions of the films. The last one I saw had a big Crystal Skull on the cover, and was full of photos and information about the film. When I saw it I wasn't interested in Skull, so didn't bother to buy it.

I think there's another one out now, but if they're anything like the Star Wars annuals then they'd be aimed at a younger audience, with puzzles and simplified descriptions of the films.

But, as Rhys has shown, they can also be a source for rare photos.

Udvarnoky

One of the most interesting "deleted scenes" to me was the original portrayal of the portal that opens up in the skull chamber at the film's climax that sucks up Mac, the Russians and all the artifacts. It was originally designed to be a standard "black hole" type vortex, and I think the movie even entered the production with that still being the intention, but at some point late in the game Spielberg decided to go outright with the flying saucer. In the screenplay and all the novelizations including the comic, which depicts the departure of the aliens via a semi-transparent orb rather than a classic 1950s-looking spaceship, give you a glimpse at the original idea.

Personally, I think Spielberg's choice to embrace the flying saucer idea was a good one, but I suspect the decision, which possibly retroactively caused the exploration of Akator to require a degree of holding back (in order to keep the reveal hidden), might have hurt the movie's third act, and no doubt the vortex as originally imagined would have made the staging of Mac's demise a little more harrowing and less awkward.

There was a similar last minute change where Spielberg decided to alter the design of the wrappings the conquistadors are found in from the magnetic shroud coating seen in the film's prologue for the Hangar 51 alien to standard Indian wrappings. I guess having the Spanish in the metallic stuff would have just been too confusing.

Last edited:

Lego Indy

Udvarnoky said:
One of the most interesting "deleted scenes" to me was the original portrayal of the portal that opens up in the skull chamber at the film's climax that sucks up Mac, the Russians and all the artifacts. It was originally designed to be a standard "black hole" type vortex, and I think the movie even entered the production with that still being the intention, but at some point late in the game Spielberg decided to go outright with the flying saucer. In the screenplay and all the novelizations including the comic, which depicts the departure of the aliens via a semi-transparent orb rather than a classic 1950s-looking spaceship, give you a glimpse at the original idea.

Personally, I think Spielberg's choice to embrace the flying saucer idea was a good one, but I suspect the decision, which possibly retroactively caused the exploration of Akator to require a degree of holding back (in order to keep the reveal hidden), might have hurt the movie's third act, and no doubt the vortex as originally imagined would have made the staging of Mac's demise a little more harrowing and less awkward.

There was a similar last minute change where Spielberg decided to alter the design of the wrappings the conquistadors are found in from the magnetic shroud coating seen in the film's prologue for the Hangar 51 alien to standard Indian wrappings. I guess having the Spanish in the metallic stuff would have just been too confusing.

Great stuff.

dr.jones1986

There is actually a short deleted scene that everyone has missed and you can view clips of it on the special features disc. During the map sequence, Indy and Mutt change planes in Mexico City. You can see them transfering Mutt's Harley in a crate and he is freaking out that something is going to happen to it. It would have been short with no dialogue but it would have been nice to see it in the final film. It was one of the last scenes they shot for the movie. It is the last feautrette in the filming section of the DVD.

indyswk

I think there might be a deleted scene at the start of the jungle chase too.

When Indy kicks Dovchenko down in the truck, he falls face down towards the rear end of the truck.

When you see Marion being the last to jump off the truck, you see Dovchenko wake up facing the FRONT end of the truck.

I think there might be a deleted sequence where after Indy goes into to get the RPG he sees Dovchenko wake up and knocks him out cold again with something.

That might explain why he was facing the wrong way. Also, this was probably cut because it would've have been one too many fights with Indy & Dovchenko..

Just speculating, but the continuity error is there.

indyswk

dr.jones1986 said:
There is actually a short deleted scene that everyone has missed and you can view clips of it on the special features disc. During the map sequence, Indy and Mutt change planes in Mexico City. You can see them transfering Mutt's Harley in a crate and he is freaking out that something is going to happen to it. It would have been short with no dialogue but it would have been nice to see it in the final film. It was one of the last scenes they shot for the movie. It is the last feautrette in the filming section of the DVD.

Also, the overall idea that Mutt takes the bike all the way to South America and we don't get to see it after they leave the airport until when Mutt says he left the bike at the cemetary -- i think there's a whole scene with his bike in Peru that was cut too. Personally after that it feels unnecessary to see them loading the bike into the plane or even for Mutt to say that last line.