The Offical KotCS Magazine

That's just another excuse by Lucas to dodge the tomatoes the fans will be throwing at him. I had already lowered my expectations when I heard that aliens would be involved, now I have lowered them considerably more. If Lucas can't come up with a good story or a MacGuffin, he needs to move on to something else instead of corrupting his old masterpieces.

Jr_1981

Raiders112390 said:
Thats shows you went into this with a close mind simply because Lucas was involved.

While I don't agree with Spalko on his points of view, I don't see anything wrong with having certain...preconcieved notions based on the fact that Lucas is involved. Me personally, I think the film is going to be great, and I look forward to all the "controversial" elements it will have, but I'm not going to dismiss someone's opinion merely because it differs from mind.

Don't let anyone tell you what to think Agent Spalko, hold true to your opnions, for they are yours and yours alone :)

eroc

Agent Spalko said:
You guys are sheep. Lucas is an obstinate bastard.

now you are just being rude. some people have faith in this movie, and that is why we congregate here. faith in KOTCS does not = sheep. are you slipping to the darkside? anger, fear, aggression, hate...all lead to the darkside.

eroc said:
now you are just being rude. some people have faith in this movie, and that is why we congregate here. faith in KOTCS does not = sheep. are you slipping to the darkside? anger, fear, aggression, hate...all lead to the darkside.

But it's true. Even Ford rolled his eyes at Lucas back on Young Indy and he said in a magazine recently that "George is that dogged" meaning "He's a stubborn filthy rich bastard who always gets his way."

Raiders90

Agent Spalko said:
You guys are sheep. Lucas is an obstinate bastard.

Being optimistic about him and not hating it because it's different is not being a sheep. It's being a person who is looking forward to seeing A) the first Indy film he's in theaters B) Seeing the next entry in his favorite series and C) Looking to forward to enjoying a movie on it's own merits and having a good time.

Lucas may be an obstinate bastard, but he's not directing the film, nor is he starring in it.

Jndy

I hope that the movie will be good. But I also think that George Lucas has absolutely lost his mind in the past decade.

He's hermetically sealed himself away from society, surrounded himself with fawning yes-men (read about the heavy-handed thug tactics he uses to punish "dissenters"), and placed himself above criticism. As a result, his recent brainchildren (Star Wars prequels) have been generally awful. It is absolutely incredible that the force behind Episodes IV-VI (great movies) could produce crap like Ep I-III.

I have no faith in Lucas. My hope is that Ford/Koepp can moderate Lucas' madness.

Jr_1981

Jndy said:
I hope that the movie will be good. But I also think that As a result, his recent brainchildren (Star Wars prequels) have been generally awful. It is absolutely incredible that the force behind Episodes IV-VI (great movies) could produce crap like Ep I-III.

While the scripts themselves may be weak, the prequel films are technically well made.

Raiders90

Agent Spalko said:
But it's true. Even Ford rolled his eyes at Lucas back on Young Indy and he said in a magazine recently that "George is that dogged" meaning "He's a stubborn filthy rich bastard who always gets his way."

When did Indy roll his eyes at Lucas on Young Indy? The only thing I've seen him comment on it was him talking about it years ago on TV and saying that he thought it was the best thing on television. And if this movie so horrible, as it must be because you've seen the film, why would Ford agree to star in it? Why not just say, "George, this film doesn't live up to the previous ones, let's give it a rest.'' Why would Spielberg? They didn't have to make it. They weren't destitude and strapped for cash. They didn't have to make this film, and I don't think they'd settle for just any crappy film out there. If they did, we would've had Indiana Jones and the Monkey King rather than Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. They're doing it for the fans, people like us.

That in itself sets it apart from the Star Wars prequels, which were made because Lucas wanted to develop the backstory to Star Wars on screen; a completely self-indulgent work over which Lucas had complete creative control. Different story with Indy 4.

eroc

Agent Spalko said:

but come on...from what you have seen or heard, do you really think this movie is going to be anything but awesome? really now. search you true feelings. let go of the hate and free yourself. i tell ya what. give georgie one more chance at redemption and stay opened minded about the film...go into it with a positive attitude and if it falls flat you and I can go hunt down lucas like the dog he is.(y)

Raiders112390 said:
When did Indy roll his eyes at Lucas on Young Indy? And if this movie so horrible, as it must be because you've seen the film, why would Ford agree to star in it? Why not just say, "George, this film doesn't live up to the previous ones, let's give it a rest.'' Why would Spielberg? They didn't have to make it. They weren't destitude and strapped for cash. They didn't have to make this film, and I don't think they'd settle for just any crappy film out there. If they did, we would've had Indiana Jones and the Monkey King rather than Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. They're doing it for the fans, people like us.

That in itself sets it apart from the Star Wars prequels, which were made because Lucas wanted to develop the backstory to Star Wars on screen; a completely self-indulgent work over which Lucas had complete creative control. Different story with Indy 4.

When Lucas told Ford his idea for Indy 4 while filming Mystery of the Blues back in '92, Ford rolled his eyes, said it would never work and he would never do an Indy film like that. Dogged George persisted to hire every hot screenwriter to come up with HIS vision of the story. It has endured all the way to Koepp.

Jndy

Jr_1981 said:
While the scripts themselves may be weak, the prequel films are technically well made.

They are bad movies. The acting, dialogue, and pacing are 1.5 on a scale of 1-10.

The special effects were amazing, but will be dated in less than 10 years. What made the original Star Wars movies great was not special effects- it was a timeless story with "big" themes (good vs. evil), great characters, and a fun atmosphere.

I didn't have any fun watching the prequels. Sitting through Christensen's & Portman's efforts at acting was miserable.

Just my opinion, but I can't believe anyone would dispute that acting/dialogue are critical to a film.

Jr_1981

Agent Spalko said:
ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I see nothing humerous about my statement. I stand by it, the effects are great, the pacing is nice and brisk (the films are never boring). Plus there are some pretty impressive light saber duels in the films.

So I'll stand by my statement :)

eroc

Raiders112390 said:
Being optimistic about him and not hating it because it's different is not being a sheep. It's being a person who is looking forward to seeing A) the first Indy film he's in theaters B) Seeing the next entry in his favorite series and C) Looking to forward to enjoying a movie on it's own merits and having a good time.

Lucas may be an obstinate bastard, but he's not directing the film, nor is he starring in it.

...but Lucas does cameo in it as the pilot of the spacecraft.
(y)

Jr_1981 said:
I see nothing humerous about my statement. I stand by it, the effects are great, the pacing is nice and brisk (the films are never boring). Plus there are some pretty impressive light saber duels in the films.

So I'll stand by my statement :)

That's great if you wanted to see a Saturday morning cartoon. (y)

Jr_1981

Agent Spalko said:
That's great if you wanted to see a Saturday morning cartoon. (y)

We'll just agree to disagree :) If I wanted to debate the merits of the Star Wars prequels I'd be posting at a Star Wars message board :whip:

Raiders90

Agent Spalko said:
When Lucas told Ford his idea for Indy 4 while filming Mystery of the Blues back in '92, Ford rolled his eyes, said it would never work and he would never do an Indy film like that. Dogged George persisted to hire every hot screenwriter to come up with HIS vision of the story. It has endured all the way to Koepp.

Obviously, something clicked with Koepp's script in order for him to recently say that while he didn't like the idea of ''little green men'', Koepp's story was good and provided what was in his opinion a very interesting, Indy like take on it.

So he would never do a film like ''that'', which was probably Saucermen (which imo was not crappy in it's concept but instead in it's execution, dialogue, etc. The general concept was good, but it was handled very cheesily) but he's agreed to do this one now. Something had to be different in order for him to like it and agree to it. Obviously Ford has a strong opinion about what would work in Indy and what wouldn't.

They fought for nearly 20 years over this one maguffin and how it was handled; something had to have worked well with Nathanson's and Koepp's scripts in order for Ford and Spielberg to decide to do it after refusing to for so long. It wasn't like there was a dire need for it be made, so there had to be some other factor there.