Boots

The best pair of boots I've ever owned have been my Canadian Military "Garrison Boots"...

Safety toe (Saved my bacon time and again!) A sole that won't quit.... If treated right, they are waterproof.... With a decent pair of sock, you can wear 'em all winter too...

I'm not saying I wouldn't try on a pair of J&Ms, but after years of cowboy boots and my Garrisons, ankle length boots just feel silly to me.

Raider Joe

ClintonHammond said:
The best pair of boots I've ever owned have been my Canadian Military "Garrison Boots"...

Safety toe (Saved my bacon time and again!) A sole that won't quit.... If treated right, they are waterproof.... With a decent pair of sock, you can wear 'em all winter too...

I'm not saying I wouldn't try on a pair of J&Ms, but after years of cowboy boots and my Garrisons, ankle length boots just feel silly to me.

No question if you're used to high boots and military steel toes, or industrial steel toes, the ankle high ones can be odd. As an avid hiker, I probably feel opposite of you, but can understand totally what you're saying.

I do love my cowboy boots (Justins) though. Hella comfortable!

Raider Joe

ClintonHammond said:
It's been too long since I owned a good pair of cowboy boots....

Let's see pics of yers!

ha! They're beat up bigtime....I don't have any pics, I'll have to take some. Nothing fancy really.

groves

LL Beans, Katahdin Iron Works Engineer Boots

I think LL Beans, Katahdin Iron Works Engineer Boots are probably the best you could do as a substitute and at a fraction of the cost (when they get beat up they look even better). J. Crew had a really good vintage work boot as well but they have been discontinued.

M49464_Brown.jpg

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=katahdin-iron-works-engineer-boots&categoryId=49464&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=501687&cat4=9906&shop_method=pp&feat=501687-tn

AntiJones

What You wanna do with a USD 300 boots?

Admiring your hero and what he wear is one thing. What are you actually going to do with a pair of USD 300 worth of boots? You can't wear it to formal or official occasion (look too gawky), you don't have the heart to wear it everyday for rugged use (it will probably worn out in 2 years), and there's no indy-wannabe conference every other year for you to show off. What do you actually do with it? Keep inside your closet and once in a while wear it and look at yourself in front of the mirror and admire how much you look like indy. Rest of the time, let the mold take over and let it rot.

You might wear it to IJ4 movie for a day and that's about it.

Last edited:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
AntiJones said:
wear it everyday for rugged use (it will probably worn out in 2 years)
Key word here is probably, got any real info to back that sentiment up?

AntiJones said:
there's no indy-wannabe conference every other year for you to show off.
Yes there is.

groves

I have a pair of Alden's and wear them all the time. There probably the most comfortable piece of footwear I own. At some point, I'm sure they will wear out (so what). I will enjoy them while I have them. Everyone should be aloud to make a few frivolous purchases in life. My grandfather never bought anything for himself, except for shoes. Then he would drop some money. "Not a bad thing to spend money on, since we spend most of our lives on our feet" he always said. These shoes are handmade and quality in every way. If you don't feel you can afford them, then don't but them. But don't slam everyone else who has saved and spent, just for a little fun, or simply because they like the boot.

groves

These are the J.Crew vintage work boots.
There's a bunch of them on ebay right now.
Probably the closest thing to Alden's. Better color, in my book.

79359_BR6402.jpg

Last edited: