The Lost Journal

Crack that whip

Many people regard Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis one of the best Indy tales told yet, in any medium, so it seems a wise move to include it unless it's absolutely contradicted by an actual Lucasfilm production (which FoA, being a LucasArts game, arguably almost is anyway). Presumably nothing in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull obviates it, so...

I haven't read the Rob MacGregor novels in a while, but I loved them all, and I've been looking forward to rereading them soon. Max McCoy's inclusion of a crystal skull element in his books is probably seen as too close to the story of the new movie without expressly supporting it, so I guess his books probably have to go, alas...

TalonCard

Crack that whip said:
I haven't read the Rob MacGregor novels in a while, but I loved them all, and I've been looking forward to rereading them soon. Max McCoy's inclusion of a crystal skull element in his books is probably seen as too close to the story of the new movie without expressly supporting it, so I guess his books probably have to go, alas...

Actually, LFL seems to be taking an inclusionistic stance when it comes to Indy's Expanded Adventures. Indy notes the existance of other Crystal Skulls in the lost journal, and mentions that he's searched for many of them already.

TC

Raiders90

ATMachine said:
I went out to Barnes and Noble tonight, and found they'd put out the Lost Journal of Indiana Jones book a few days early. So I snapped it up. Intriguingly, there are almost zero references to non-filmed Indy stories: YIJ and the four films take up most of the book. Understandable, as many such sources are extremely dubious story-wise.

However, there are a few pages of the journal devoted to Fate of Atlantis and Indy's relationship with Sophia, plus brief references to the Seven Veils novel and Deirdre Campbell.

So apparently Fate of Atlantis (and Rob Macgregor's novels) are good enough for the Lost Journal writers to include mention of them with the filmed Indy, but nothing else? Well, if we have FOA at least...

Well, there's also a referrence to the Sky Pirates book, and I believe a referrence or two to some of McCoy's books.

The Tingler

I saw it in my local Waterstones bookshop today. Much to my shock, I didn't buy it. You know why? It's tiny. The Emperor's Tomb manual's got more information in it. You could read the whole book in under three minutes. It's short and mostly filled with pictures and sketches we've already seen.

I consider myself an absolutely major Indy fan. If something's got 'Indiana Jones' written on it, I'll probably buy it. I'm not going to buy The Lost Journal. I hope that gives you a clue.

|ZiR|

The Tingler said:
I saw it in my local Waterstones bookshop today. Much to my shock, I didn't buy it. You know why? It's tiny. The Emperor's Tomb manual's got more information in it. You could read the whole book in under three minutes. It's short and mostly filled with pictures and sketches we've already seen.

I consider myself an absolutely major Indy fan. If something's got 'Indiana Jones' written on it, I'll probably buy it. I'm not going to buy The Lost Journal. I hope that gives you a clue.

Thank you! I've been trying to decide whether I should buy it or not, and when I saw that it's only 160 pages at Amazon I suspected it wasn't worth it.

Thanks for the confirmation.

The Tingler

It really is just giant pictures. You know how sometimes magazines put "Big Feature Inside!" on the cover along with a picture of, as an obvious example, Indiana Jones, and then after you buy the magazine you find that feature is just loads of pictures with less text than you'd find on the back cover of the DVD? That's what this journal is like.

Any fan with a few weeks to spare could do a better job. The cover and paper is nice, very authentic looking. That's the best thing I can say about it. It's overpriced too.

If you're still not sure (and I've got several pages in this thread of excitement to fight through), I advise you NOT to buy it on the Internet and to wait until it's in a store so you can check it out yourself first. Once you see how pathetic it is you'll leave it on the shelf too.

I have to agree with Tingler, I'm really quite dissapointed with the journal, it looks pretty, but Indy really does seen to have never written in the thing, just sorta drawn random pictures/ let people draw random pictures. Its too slim, and doesn't.. well, it doesn't invent enough, what I wanted were the missing pieces in Indys life, not random ads for 50s fridges, and a poorly drawn map of the village from Temple of doom...

Bah...

TalonCard

Jeremiah Jones said:
I have to agree with Tingler, I'm really quite dissapointed with the journal, it looks pretty, but Indy really does seen to have never written in the thing, just sorta drawn random pictures/ let people draw random pictures. Its too slim, and doesn't.. well, it doesn't invent enough, what I wanted were the missing pieces in Indys life, not random ads for 50s fridges, and a poorly drawn map of the village from Temple of doom...

Bah...

That map isn't supposed to be all that detailed--it's a technique used in the field by real life anthropoligists, although for the life of me I can't remember what it's called. (Yeah, I retained my college electives real well... :p )

I can see why some wouldn't want to shell out the $16 for it, though...

TC

mr.wolf

so here's the e-mail i just got from indyshop.

Due to unanticipated demand, the following item(s) has gone into backorder or the backorder date for this item(s) has been pushed out, the new estimated ship date is listed here :
IJSASBLJIJ The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones <shipstatus>

The Tingler

Come to Oxford, there's loads here. Haven't sold one since the last time I looked (unless they got a lot in and are consistently re-filling them).

deckard24

I saw the Lost Journal at the bookstore and passed on it, it's really not worth the money! The book is reallly geared towards kids, and is full of pictures that make no sense. An example being a picture of the Shaman from the village in TOD that apparently Willie took? What?? When did she find time to so this? LOL:confused:

My advice save your money and buy the DK guide, that's worth the money!! The reprints of all the novels(movie adaptations and Macgregor, Caiden, and McCoy novels) are at Borders. If you never got them the first time, now's your chance.

martinland

Just to offer a different perspective: I love the journal. (y)

It's nice to show other people what it's like if somebody loves the movies and puts something together with a lot of nice little details. I'm a stickler for those... :p

I even sent photographs to one dear friend with whom I always wanted to roam around Venice to search for locations... ...now we have a nice map to go with, hehe - never been on the other side of the canale grande near piazza san marco... ;-)

Martin of the Martinland

Tempest19

Didn't really search through the thread, but can any one tell me if there are supposed to be a couple of ripped pages in it? I don't know if this was done by someone who picked up the book before I did or if it's just to have the book look authentic.

Tempest19

Don't know how to edit a post. But nevermind about the comment above, posted that when I was just skimming through the book. Just read the annotation that the pages are purposefully missing.