Alternative "Indiana Jones-like" Novels

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
You know, while waiting for Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead to arrive (now in September - sheesh), there are many good Indiana Jones-like characters and stories out there, to pick up and read and pass the time. if the Dark Horse Indy comic Omnibus aren't your style and you have read all the Indy novels (maybe even the German ones - which I wish were translated into English)

I remember wayyyy back in the early 1980's some paperback books about treasure hunters from TOR publishing called "The Takers". These were full of action and cliff-hangers reminiscent of Indiana Jones. You probaly can check used bookstores or garage sales -- as the big book chains like Barnes and Nobles and Borders, pushed the corner newsstand out of business - let alone the pressure put on by Amazon.com. Even The Destroyer series (basis for the movie with Fred Ward) had some cool adventure.

Then there is Repairman Jack - a cross between Indiana Jones/James Bond and the Night Stalker -- he was a "mercenary for hire" who got caughtup in many world saving events like Indy -the best being the book called "The Tomb". These were written by author F. Paul Wislon and are still being published with new stories.

You can always check out vintage pulp heroes like Doc Savage that have just been reprinted to celebrate the 70 or 75th anniversary of the Man of Bronze. But make sure you stay away from the 1972 movie with Ron "Tarzan" Ely as it is god awwful!

Recently on the Indy-cast author Barry Nugent was on talking about his book "Fallen Heroes" which is also very "Indy-like" with a mixture of action and mystery - luckily you can still get that and it isn't out of print. Just check out Amazon.com - I think it's a great read and promises to be be just the start with more books to follow!

Lastly, I liked the late Michael Crichton's "Congo" (the book NOT the movie) as it was also a fun trek looking for King Solomons diamonds and had "talking" gorillas and hot-air balloons. Now I read tis more than 20 years ago -- and if I can still remember parts of it -- it must have been good -- and trust me I have read thousands of books since then (not counting the comcibooks).

What's you idea of a good "Indy-like" hero or story out there that fans might like? Lets keep this thread going with recommendations!

Morning Bell

King Solomon's Mines by H. Ryder Haggard is fantastic and the ultimate read for any adventure fan. It has action, drama, and comedy mixed with a fun and fast-paced adventure. I can't recommend it enough.:)

Congo is another good recommendation that has been mentioned. I'd also recommend anything by Jules Verne, especially Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Ironically Chrichton's Congo was tossed about as a possible plot for Indy 3

But Lucas decided to keep to his original stories. At least that was what I read in oneof the sci-fi mags (Starlog????) several years ago.

I personally really liked Alan Quatermain, one of Haggard's sequels to King Solomon's Mines.

Phantom-Train

I also read Haggard's King Solomon's Mines and loved it. I also would second the mentioning of Jules Verne; his Around the World in Eighty Days is a brilliant humorous adventure love story. John Masters wrote a book called The Deceivers (made into a film with Pierce Brosnan, but not as good as the book) that I really liked -- Thuggee Cult stuff.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
King Solomon's Mines is an awesome read. I've been trying to get my hands on the sequel.

As a kid, The Cairo Jim Chronicles series used to fill the void of Indy. There's also the spin-off Jocelyn Osgood Jaunts series, a Marion Ravenwood like character, who was a flight attendant who got too curious and who's Cairo Jim's "special friend."

What's been filling the void lately? The Young Bond series. Yes, the series based on James Bond, 007. He has one Indy like adventure (the 4th book, Hurricane Gold), complete with a boobytrap filled labyrinth!

Even the comic books of The Phantom are very Indy-like (I personally love the film as well, which involves crystal skulls of their own!).

Also, again, kiddy, The Story of the Amulet by E. Nesbit. Still worth the read though.

Morning Bell

Violet Indy said:
What's been filling the void lately? The Young Bond series. Yes, the series based on James Bond, 007. He has one Indy like adventure (the 4th book, Hurricane Gold), complete with a boobytrap filled labyrinth!

It's funny you should bring those up because I was just thinking of suggesting Ian Fleming's original Bond novels as well. They're great suspense reads with some adventure and thriller elements.

Other Books

I've read The Takers and it's sequel, The Takers: River of Gold books by Jerry and SA Ahern and loved them. I know a third book was written but I have yet to find a copy.

Another one: The Discovery by Steve Shagan, also excellent. It has a female archeologist and an LA detective teaming up to find the last testament of God to Moses.

James Rollins Excavation is another good one, with an elaborate temple trap very early in the book.

Geoffrey Marsh has a character called Lincoln Blackthorne that is very Indy-like. He's appeared in at least 4 books, the first one called The King of Satan's Eye that takes place mostly in Peru. I just tracked down 3 other books with Lincoln Blackthorne and am going to give them a read while I'm waiting for Indy's new novels!