Indy gear and dating.

nezobiwan

Crack that whip said:
It was a joke. Dating really is of vital importance to archaeologists, but I meant as in "we're able to date these clay tablets to around 2500 BC." :p ;)

LOL! Because I totally thought you were referencing Indy and Willie's conversation in TOD there. Y'know.... Nocturnal activities? Mating rituals? etc... Ok I got Indy on the brain and now I'm unable to grasp puns... maybe that's a good thing though? :D

As to the topic.... she's going to find out your inner weirdo eventually anyways. :) (No offense to you personally--everyone has their quirks.)

I don't think I'd have married my husband if he didn't like/share my Star Wars and Indy fanaticism. We played the "Coronation March" from A New Hope as I walked down the aisle at our wedding...

Stoo

The Cracking Wit of Crack that whip

Crack that whip said:
It was a joke. Dating really is of vital importance to archaeologists, but I meant as in "we're able to date these clay tablets to around 2500 BC." :p ;)
Not only are you knowledgable about Indy, you're funny, too!:D:hat:
Your joke was so well crafted that it went completely over my head.
Violet Indy said:
If someone was a trekkie and came to a date with Spock ears, I would dump him on the spot!;)
Thanks for making me laugh!:D I wonder if that has ever happened...

What one could do is bring their "lucky lighter" if she's a smoker.
That is one piece of gear you could definitely get away with.

Crack that whip

Thanks for the kind words, both of you! :hat:

Personally I think a costume date could be fun, though of course the other person would have to be up for it in advance...

Lao Che Pun said:
I'm just interested.....did you say "I'm going to the restroom" to this girl....or did you really say "I'm going to the toilet?"

This could be the problem. ;)

Er...this is the United Kingdom. If you tell someone you're going to the restroom they'd be like, " What, are you American, Gruber?"

nezobiwan

herr gruber said:
Er...this is the United Kingdom. If you tell someone you're going to the restroom they'd be like, " What, are you American, Gruber?"
You just tell the girl you're going to the loo. That will solve the problem. (y)

nezobiwan said:
You just tell the girl you're going to the loo. That will solve the problem. (y)

I don't think the vocabulary was the problem. It was probably a clash of personalities... She didn't have one.

Lao Che Pun

herr gruber said:

hahaha...thanks for the clarification. Culture clash....I learn something new everyday. :D

Iandiana

Crack that whip said:
Personally I think a costume date could be fun, though of course the other person would have to be up for it in advance...

If only ALL dates were like that. I'd take my girlfriend out wearing a full Optimus Prime outfit.

Or Robocop. I'd even do the walk.

DocWhiskey

Iandiana said:
If only ALL dates were like that. I'd take my girlfriend out wearing a full Optimus Prime outfit.

Hahaha. I could see that.

GF: So, what do you want to do tonight?

*Iandiana transforms from his robot form to a truck*

Iandiana: I want you inside me.

Athenee

Stoo said:
No offense, but this has got to be one of the strangest questions I've ever seen asked on this board. Indy Gear & Dating? Sorry, I don't see how the two relate.:confused:

Hey, hey, HEY! I'll have you know that I met the man who is now my husband at a Star Trek/Dr. Who con-- and he was dressed as Allen Grant from "Jurassic Park"! (and looked real good too!) (If you really must know, I was wearing a Counselor Troi-like knit dress to the banquet...).

But, about the whole dating thing: you should never go on a totally blind date. You should play "20 Questions" with whomever you're meeting: Smoking? Drinking? Drug use? Sex? Allergic to pets? Afraid of rats, snakes, spiders? Level of education? Interests? Favorite movies? Favorite books and magazines? What book/s are they currently reading? If you get blank looks or outright laughter at any of these questions, s/he may not be the right person for you. My hub and I are the kind of people who are reading at least 3 books at once; he gets space and astronomy magazines, I get Smithsonian and Arts-&-Crafts house mags, and we're both SF/adventure movie fans. He reads 19th & 20th century history (NASA), I read life sciences, genetics, archaeology, re-enactment stuff.

BTW, our first date was at the Boston Museum of Science's Jurassic Park exhibition when it toured in 1993. Needless to say, he wore the same outfit again (yes, washed, I'll have you know). I stayed over at his place (no, he did not live in his parent's basement) to meet his friends for a New Year's Eve party, and our third date was the Annual Boston 24-Hour Science Fiction Movie Marathon. Yeah, I knew then that he was the one... we celebrated our 10th anniversary on 5/23... saw IJKCS, went to my Mom's, came back and saw IJKCS with our friends, went to his parents to have a cookout with his family.

Life is good, although I am jonesing for a cat...

Mickiana

Good story Athenee, my girlfriend was a bit freaked out to learn that I was an Indy fan about one year after we started going out. She's a bit more used to it now. At first I worried about telling her but the props gave it away and now I'm proud of it!

Athenee

...why is it...

***hayleyrox*** said:
hahah :p i guess it's just like girls dressing up as Lara Croft, guys dress up as Indy :)

Why is it always the size 24 (or larger) fangirls who wear the Leia slave-girl, or the Willie Scot maharani, or Arwen/Eowyn outfits at cons? I can't pull off Lara Croft-- heck, Angelina Jolie can't pull off Lara Croft until she's done three months of 8-hour days of strength training and strict dieting!! (hey, if I were that wealthy, I could have a personal trainer, too, ya know...)

I was easily 80 lbs. lighter in 1993, so the knit dress looked okay on me, but really! Yeah, I know, we're supposed to be a classless, sizeless society, and SF fans and movie buffs (lotta overlap there) are more forgiving (more oblivious?) than most. But folks, the first sign of maturity is looking at yourself in a full-length mirror and admitting to yourself, if to no one else, "Nope, I'm too (young, fat, short, tall, old, etc.) to pull this off."

Once you realize this, you may wallow in self-pity for two minutes (like the Two Minute Hate in "1984"), then knock off the pity-party, and then you do something about it (in my case, physical therapy for my bad back, and joining Curves to lose weight, rev up my metabolism). (BTW, Netflix or rent "1984" to see John Hurt in an incredibly amazing and pathetic role; he's waay underappreciated as an actor.)

As far as amateur costuming goes, you want people to look twice at the costume, not the *person* wearing the costume (and it shouldn't look 'costume-y', but that's a different topic).

To get back to Indy and dating, there is one thing with which I have to credit Indy (and Harrison, George, and Steven): Professor Jones is a gentleman; his parents brought him up properly. :hat: If his manners have slipped, it's because he has had to deal with a lot of impolite and vulgar people over the years. :gun:

:D I just had a dumb idea: should we suggest a "Dear Marion" column to the mods? You know, 'what would Indy do?' 'what would Marion do?' 'what should Mutt not do?'

Any ideas? Any questions?

Mickiana

I'm 40 and I took my girlfriend to see Indy 4 and I wore my Raiders jacket and Alden boots. No one looked twice, no recognition it seems. My fedora and 12 foot bullwhip might have tipped me off though. Next time...