Federation IV: Regular VS Deluxe

GT Jones Jr.

First of all, greetings to everyone. New member here.:)

A couple of days ago I started doing a little research on Indy hats. I'm looking for a hat as screen accurate as possible within a price range (about 100-150 ?). More importantly, I'm looking for a durable hat to take with me on trips. If the conclusion I've reached is correct, the Akubra Federation IV is the best choice for me. Not too expensive, quite accurate (if you give it the right bashing/creasing) and can take the elements.

Now I'm trying to determine if the Deluxe Fed is worth the extra money or not...

What's really the difference between the Regular and the Deluxe Fed? I know it's a different kind of felt, but practically what does that mean? For example, is one of them more durable than the other? Another issue is that, as I've read on this and other sites, the Fed (or any hat I guess) "shrinks" after some time. Do both versions of the Fed shrink, or not? (That's a question that will help me with choosing size too.)

What do you think? Regular or Deluxe?

davidraphael

I really don't think there's that much of a difference. I even think that it's the same felt (rabbit), it's just that they treat the felt further for the 'deluxe' (Imperial) to make it a little more durable.

I'd go for the standard. In fact, I did.

All felt hats can shrink a little. Back in the day gentlemen also bought a hat stretcher in case this occurred.

mikieson

the ONLY difference is the felt has been "worked" more and it has a better sweatband. Thats IT..Why spend more for that? I got mine a couple days ago..I love it but I dont like the color as I was wanting more INDY brown..

NickTurner

I have the previous version, Federation Deluxe. I can't compare with the regular, but I can offer observations. I wear it whenever I can, but I do find it very warm. Any temp over about 60 F and I'm sweating like I was on a Cairo dig! I have not noticed any shrinkage at all. I ordered it to exact size as per Akubra's instructions and it fit perfectly.

When wearing it out it can get in the way in restaurants. I've had to place in UNDER my seat on many occasions. At first that bothered me but I've learnt not to worry so. I do usually switch to a leather hat if I know it's going to rain, so I've never gotten it soaking wet. It would probably take it but I just don't feel like dealing with soggy felt! :D

Kinda curious to know what they changed for a IV. The web site doesn't say...

fenris

My Fed IV Deluxe has been soaked in the rain twice! And I do mean soaked! It's still alive and kicking!

I hear the deluxe has a better felt in terms of water resistance and the pouncing is much smoother than on the standard. I can't compare as I don't have a standard Fed IV.

kevblee

I have a Fed Regular I bought a couple years ago...hat has held up great in the rain. The shape of the hat, and ribbon are perfect Indy....but the color is off. I was hoping it would change some in color over time...and I think it has maybe slightly...but place it next to a classic Herbert Johnson, or a Coyle's and it's off.