Supanova Pop Culture Convention

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Yay!!!! Supanova is coming!! The only place and time of the year I can get Indy comics (They're hard to get down here). It's on 23-24 April and it's only been around for about 3 years. It's the only pop-culture convention in Queensland. Very exciting!!! (I just felt like posting this; I know this won't matter to anyone except those in the Great South East an area of Queensland I live). And I'm moving bak to the Gold Coast again in 2 weeks whilst starting my major projects for film school! God I have a busy month ahead.

monkey

Wish I could be there with you Violet.

I've been to your wonderful country before.............but that was on the west coast...........Geralton............Loved it........If I had to only form my opnions about Australia based on only one city..........then I would have to say that I LOVE Australia........

Great people, Great place........Great time

I Love Australia!!!!!!!!

Can't forget the Abo girls ...........had a great time!!!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Hate the West!! Especially their footy team...grrrrrr..... The East Coast is better (that's the coast I'm on). It has Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and my hometown the Gold Coast which has all the theme parks (Including Warner Bros Movie World and Sea World) and the Indy 500. I moving back there in 2 weeks like I said before.
Abo girls? Wonder what you were doing with them? ;) Oh and I'm not Aborginal but I know they take offense to the word "Abo". It's kinda like calling an African American a "nigger." Don't worry, you didn't know that.

monkey

Hey Violet,
Thkanks for educating me. Sorry...didn't know............sorry for saying "Abo girls"......

But really....honestly....didn't know...........and certainly wouldnt want to use the equivilant of "Nigger" (bad word.........to NEVER be used anywhere.)

I cannot lie however and must say that I enjoyed the company of several Aborigone girls in Geralton.

I had a greAt time..........and I (KNow) hope they did too.

Must be honest.

I have to say here that to US Sailors, Ausralia is like.....the "promised land"....!!!!!!

God bless..........and LONG LIVE Australia!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
If you like Australia that much, go look at my "Aussie Indyfans Exist?" thread in the O-T forums. I think it's on the second page :p .

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Nice to see you went there. I probably should have provided a hyperlink but I was too lazy.

Actually, I forgot to mention that at the second annual Supanova, John Rhys Davies actually went. Sadly, at the time I was in Melbourne :( . And now that I got the job on the independent film, I might end up missing Supanova! :( . So now I have to beg my mum to buy me Indy comics for me there.

I made a mistake with Supanova's dates. It's 22nd-23rd of April. I can go on the 22nd.... And yes, I realise that I'm probably posting with no one interested considering the part of the world this is in.

Yep.... Like I said before... I am planning to go as Marion... And it's business as usual for Violet Indy.... No one else on line.... And if VP thought I was spamming before, he should see this thread.....

Last edited:

monkey

Hey Violet,
Well, it seems like it's just you and me on this thread. I apologize for being a bit risque and indescreet on previous posts.

I AM interested in your corner of the world....ie...Austrailia. And you seem like quite a nice, and interesting person.

I wish you luck in your film career.

Thanks,

Monkey

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Thanks Monkey. I'm going to need all the luck I can get. It's Australia... There is no film industry. Or at least nothing like Hollywood or Italian New Wave or something like that.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Supanova 2007

Yay, I'm going again to Supanova, the comic book convention down here. My friends are doing their own cosplays and we're going together. I've updated my Marion costume, so I'll be going as Marion. Hopefully, I'll be able to buy more Indy comics. Billy Dee Williams is coming this year, so I'm going to get my brother's "Empire Strikes Back" poster signed. I'm going to tomorrow. I just excited so please forgive me for posting about this (Rene might be the only one who might find this interesting, considering his location).

deckard24

Billy Dee is a really cool guy. I met him a few years ago, and he's so laid back that when he talked all I could think of was a Colt 45 commercial. I met him at a book signing, so he really wasn't signing Star Wars stuff but he made a few exceptions. Have fun, Lando is the man!

San Holo

Hey Violet, Supanova sounds smooooth as a bottle of Colt .45- have a good time and take lots of pictures:D

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
deckard24 said:
Billy Dee is a really cool guy. I met him a few years ago, and he's so laid back that when he talked all I could think of was a Colt 45 commercial. I met him at a book signing, so he really wasn't signing Star Wars stuff but he made a few exceptions. Have fun, Lando is the man!

Yeah, he's such a gentleman, I didn't get a chance to get a autograph (that would have costed me $30 and I had already spent that much on Indy comics, plus my travel money plus the entrance fee) however I did sit in on his Q&A session and he was great.

Gustav said:
Looks like you were wrong.

Oh, shut up! I only said that coz last year I posted about it, only Monkey replied and no one else. You just posted to annoy me (mind you, pay back for what I do to your Raven News Threads).

Yeah, I had a great time, though the vast majority of cosplayers are anime. No one recognised my character (and no guys dressed as Indy, which is pretty disappointing). Everyone wanted to take photos with my friend (who was dressed in a kimono) and I felt kinda rejected. But anyway, I got 5 YIJC comics and #2 of IJ and the Golden Fleece.

Gustav

Speaking of Raven News, it's high time for an update.

And seriously, what good is a convention without an Indiana Jones? It's cool that you got to meet Lando though. Do you have any pictures of your costume?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
It's the revised version of the Marion costume I posted last year. I bought a new tie, I made a way better medallion and I got these really cool vinyl boots.

So yeah, there was no Indiana Jones there! It sucked. I was the only person dressed in a Indy character cosplay and no one recognised it, apart from one old comic book guy. Said I looked just like Karen Allen. I do have a pic (it's on my friends camera though, so she'll have to email it to me) of my costume and me with a guy who dressed up as Mario (that's a pretty damn good costume).

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Sydney Supanoa 2011

*ba-ba-bump*

Over the past weekend, I went to the Sydney Supanova- this time for the whole weekend. So what happened?

On Friday night, went to the awesome 'I Dream of Jeannie' panel with Barbara Eden, Larry Hagman & Bill Daily. I even got to ask a question! Got the supanova exclusive comic for the SciFi series Lost Girl and got to see the first ep. Saturday, dressed up as Sarah from Labyrinth and got to touch the Black Beauty from Green Hornet. I also won the major prize at the FilmInk Magazine stand. Also went to the Transformers panel with Julie White (aka Mrs Witwicky) and finally got the TinTin boxset.

In terms of Indy, saw about 5 or 6 people in Indy cosplay. That's a new record!

Indy_Chic

That's awesome Violet, I'm glad you had fun. I've been to Supernova once a couple years ago and I only saw one person dressed up as Indy, so it's great to hear that more are turning up Indy style! Were there any Marions or Henry Jones Snr costumes?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Violet said:
*ba-ba-bump*

Over the past weekend, I went to the Sydney Supanova- this time for the whole weekend. So what happened?

On Friday night, went to the awesome 'I Dream of Jeannie' panel with Barbara Eden, Larry Hagman & Bill Daily.

So I have enough remaining interest in <I>I Dream of Jeannie</I> to ask: what was your question? Or any other highlights?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Attila the Professor said:
So I have enough remaining interest in <I>I Dream of Jeannie</I> to ask: what was your question? Or any other highlights?

Yeah, I asked them what did they think would have happened if Major Healy had been Jeannie's master. The place broke out in laughter. Larry Hagman answered,"It would have been a better show." My brother also asked a question at Ms Eden's panel on Sunday, and he asked about the Blue Djinn and what he was really like because those are his favourite episodes, and she answered, "well he was very nice, he was actually my husband!" The panel was an absolute riot- Bill Daily is still very funny and can still pull those wonderful expressions. There was a guy filming it next to me, so chances are this is probably on the net somewhere.

Another funny thing that happened was that one of the ladies in the front row had a cartoon Jeannie tattoo and Larry asked if he could touched it and she let him. Bill was like "Oh God, she's stripping" (the tattoo was on her shoulder blade). Barbara was totally a real lady. She's donating her Jeannie costume from that Lexus commercial (the one where she had to cover her navel) to the Smithsonian in October. Larry also brought both his hats from Jeannie and Dallas to his panel.

@ Indy_Chic-Unfortunately nope! I did see a lady dressed as Indy though an I saw a few little fellas running around- they were selling those kiddie Halloween costumes at one of the booths. And I saw a Temple of Doom Indy, you know with the ripped shirt and some fake blood. A bit brave, considering how cold it was!