• Last Crusade

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

Stoo

Monkey Brains

Le Saboteur said:
No snakes yet, but brains, cow urine, marijuana smoothies, and kidneys are all a go. Testicles, too.
According to the film, "Never So Few" (1959), there are/were people who eat MONKEY BRAINS!:eek: The Kachin people of northern Burma and neighbouring areas of India c.1943.

This movie was based on a novel about actual events during 1943 so whether this monkey-brain bit was invented for the film or not is unknown. (The film also mentions that the Kachins eat monkey and goat entrails.)

That said, the Kachin people live relatively close to the fictional state of Pankot (approx. the same distance as New York City to Chicago).

To be fair, the dinner guests in "Temple of Doom" are not of Asian descent like the Kachins but I felt this SPECIFIC mention of eating monkey brains was worth a mention, especially considering the location's proximity to Pankot.

Here is a screengrab with the DVD's subtitles on:

NeverSoFew_MonkeyBrains_zps00fe1be1.jpg

In light of this detail: Is the film, "Never So Few", racist?:confused:

Montana Smith

There's a wiki schmiki for everything.

Monkey brain is a controversial foodstuff, often attributed to the Chinese, but also found in certain other countries. The practice of eating monkey brains has led to over-hunting in Indonesia, especially due to the belief that eating the monkeys' brain can cure impotence.[1]

In Western popular culture, the consumption of monkey brains is repeatedly portrayed and debated, often in the context of portraying exotic cultures as exceptionally cruel, callous and strange.[2] It is often portrayed as follows:

the brain is eaten cooked.
the brain is eaten raw (occasionally directly out of the dead monkey's skull).
the brain is eaten fresh, spooned out of the skull while the monkey is still alive.

Consumption

It is still debated[citation needed] and difficult to substantiate whether live monkey brains was one of the items in the Qing dynasty's Manchu Han Imperial Feast. Paul Burrell, the former butler of Princess Diana, claims he was served monkey brains on banana leaves and coconut palms on one of their visits.[where?][3]

The Anyang tribe of Cameroon practices a tradition in which a new tribal chief would consume the brain of a hunted gorilla while another senior member of the tribe would eat the heart.[4]

It is not only humans who eat the brains of monkeys. Both extant species of chimpanzee are known to eat the brains of monkeys which provide fat in their diet.[5]

Risks

Consuming the brain and other nerve tissue of animals may be hazardous to health.[6] Brain consumption can result in contracting fatal transmissible spongiform encephalopathies such as Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and other prion diseases in humans.[7]

Popular culture

That the eating of the brains from living monkeys is part of some restaurants' menus is one well-known example of an urban legend.[8][9]

Maxine Hong Kingston's book The Woman Warrior also contains a description of a monkey feast, including the special table.

The Attic: Memoir of a Chinese Landlord's Son is a 1998 memoir of life in Communist China by Guanlong Cao, in which the author describes the eating of live monkey brains.

In Tama Janowitz's collection of stories, Slaves of New York, a character describes a dinner experience in which his fellow diners ate fresh monkey brains whilst on a business trip.

In a Calvin and Hobbes strip, when Calvin complains about the smell of his mother's cooking, saying "Whatever it is, I'm not eating it!", his mother tells him that the stuffed bell peppers she is preparing are actually "monkey heads". While Calvin's mother succeeds in making him eager to eat the peppers, his father is disgusted by her description and reacts with the same words that Calvin had used beforehand.[10]

Serving live monkey brains was staged in the 1978 mondo film Faces of Death, in which a scene shows a group of people eating the dish in this manner.

Il Paese del sesso selvaggio directed by Umberto Lenzi (1972, also known as The Man from the Deep River) is an Italian cannibal film set in Burma that has a monkey brain scene.

In Cannibal Holocaust (1980), a tribesman slices off a monkey's face and proceeds to eat the brains.

In Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984), chilled monkey brains are served as a dessert in a scene set in India.[11]

In the 1985 film Clue dinner guests are served monkey brains, but they are not revealed as such until the end of the film. This provides a clue towards who killed the cook.

In the 1995 Hong Kong film Jin Yu Man Tang (The Chinese Feast)[12] featuring Leslie Cheung, monkey brain is the last cuisine that two best Chinese chefs are competing with.

Elsewhereless (1998) is a contemporary opera set in Africa that features a live monkey brain scene.

Notes

1.^ "Monkey brains on the menu (Indonesia)". United Nations Development Programme Viet Nam Country Office. 2003-03-03. Archived from the original on 2005-03-13. Retrieved 2007-07-03.
2.^ "Taboo Table Offerings - The Intricacies of Intercultural Menu Planning".
3.^ (Burrell 1999, p. 6)
4.^ Meder, Angela. "Gorillas in African Culture and Medicine". Gorilla Journal. Retrieved 14 October 2005.
5.^ Clarke, Bella (2005). "Review of The Madness of Adam and Eve: How Schizophrenia Shaped Humanity". Human Given magazine. Retrieved 2006-11-04.
6.^ Dorfman, Kelly. "Nutritional Summary: Notes Taken From a Recent Autism Society Meeting". Diet and Autism. Retrieved 14 October 2005.
7.^ Collinge, John (2001). "Prion diseases of humans and animals: their causes and molecular basis". Annual Review of Neuroscience 24: 519–50. doi:10.1146/annurev.neuro.24.1.519. PMID 11283320.
8.^ Debunking strange Asian myths: Part II | The Japan Times Online
9.^ Live Monkey Brains
10.^ Watterson, Bill (2011-08-14). "Calvin and Hobbes". GoComics. Universal Uclick. Retrieved 2011-08-16.
11.^ "Trivia for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom". IMDb. Retrieved 2007-02-22.
12.^ [1]

In light of the Kachin revelation the Wiki needs updating!

Stoo said:
In light of this detail: Is the film, "Never So Few", racist? :confused:

I couldn't find any reference to Kachin and monkey brains on the net, so maybe it was an invention/joke similar to TOD?

594b1b4819d09d05a40e17f3e6e79710.jpg

Is that Frank Sinatra playing Indy again?

RKORadio

Are the positive portrays in Raiders really positive or are they Exceptionals, meant to contrast with the villains.

The Exceptional Woman (or girl) has often been used to mistreat women who don't live up to an artificial ideal.

Henry W Jones

RKORadio said:
Are the positive portrays in Raiders really positive or are they Exceptionals, meant to contrast with the villains.

The Exceptional Woman (or girl) has often been used to mistreat women who don't live up to an artificial ideal.

Have you watched Raiders recently or are you going off what the internet says again? Also, I have noticed, your only contributions at this site are when it has to do with how the movies are perceived as racist, sexist or how they would be looked at today. Do you like the films or just want to tear them down and find something socially wrong with them?

RKORadio said:

Can you provide the source for your term "Exceptionals"?

The only reference I found, (after a cursory search) included the qualifier "awesomer"! :rolleyes:

As in:

Some history: The term “Exceptional Woman” refers to a woman, real or fictional, who is the best and awesomest at what she does, but she’s still the only woman who’s allowed to play the game reserved for boys.

And that was when I figured you were the best person to provide something better than some quasi-academic "thomasina-foolery."

To answer your question with that in mind, since there is more than one contrast to the villains, women would be viewed as a Complement.

As in: com·ple·ment Noun A person place or thing that completes or brings to perfection. Verb Add to in a way that enhances or improves it; make perfect.

Last edited:

Henry W Jones

RKORadio said:
It isn't all or nothing - you can like something and still see the flaws.

Why do you avoid questioning? You totally side stepped answering my last post and never provide answers. You normally avoid then run away for a week or so then come back to make HUGE statements and don't provide backup.

Again...........Have you watched Raiders recently or are you going off what the internet says again? Also, I have noticed, your only contributions at this site are when it has to do with how the movies are perceived as racist, sexist or how they would be looked at today. Do you like the films or just want to tear them down and find something socially wrong with them?

Can you contribute to a positive thread about Indiana Jones with any info? What do you like about the films? All I've really seen is you finding the flaws. Where are you a fan? You don't own the films and admit you haven't seen them in years. Years puts you pre-teen, so how well do you remember the films? Enough to attack them?

Last edited:

Henry W Jones

Rocket Surgeon said:
Good luck with this.

I hope she pops her head up in the Flash Gordon thread. Now THAT would be fun!

That could be fun!!! She will probably google it and have all kinds of other peoples opinions about it. I want to know what she likes about the films that brought her here in the first place. It seems to me she was reading about racism and sexism in Hollyweird and decided to go after indiana Jones based on what she read somewhere and not because of a love of the films. I feel like she joined this site to talk down the series and not talk about it. I don't care who finds them racist and find the topic and opinions interesting but if you are not a fan of the series and just here to find fault.........

And if you are going to have an opinion, then have one of your own. Not the opinion of others. And be able to explain your opinion or it falls flat.

RKORadio

Don't you know that it's bad manners to be rude to a lady?

I'm sorry for swallowing other people's opinions.

RKORadio said:

I'm having a difficult time reconciling your position.

Do you want the door of the club held open for you and the free drinks at Ladies Night or are you the self-actualized self sufficient modern woman?

I'm confused!

Surely you don't think you can have it both ways...

Henry W Jones

RKORadio said:

So I have to treat you different because you are a lady? Do you want equal rights for women or should I treat you different because you are a "lady"? You can't have it both ways.
P.S. You still haven't answered my question.

Henry W Jones

Rocket Surgeon said:
I'm having a difficult time reconciling your position.

Do you want the door of the club held open for you and the free drinks at Ladies Night or are you the self-actualized self sufficient modern woman?

I'm confused!

Surely you don't think you can have it both ways...

HEY!!!!! I was typing that!!!!!

Henry W Jones said:
HEY!!!!! I was typing that!!!!!
Sorry about that Tex...I was a bit quicker on the draw.

But I appreciate where you're coming from.

Oh, by the way she hasn't answered your question!

Last edited: