TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 04-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #26
curmudgeon
IndyFan

Quote:
Much more interesting to have a new Indy lady, perhaps an old flame whom we get to know in flashback scenes, and then older Indy meets again in act II.

We already had the "old flame" story line, twice, with Marion.

I think a more interesting twist on that would be if she's not an old flame of Indy's but of of Henry Sr.

Maybe Henry took on a younger (albeit now older) wife or girlfriend in the years after Last Crusade, who Indy never quite got along with.

I like the idea of an academic type as suggested by others, and applying it to my suggestion maybe someone like an Emma Thompson would make sense.
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:23 PM   #27
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon
We already had the "old flame" story line, twice, with Marion.
Not really. The first time round you can rightfully call her an old flame, whom we didn't know and Indy meets again.
In KOTCS she's more of a recurring character, much like Sallah in LC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon
I think a more interesting twist on that would be if she's not an old flame of Indy's but of of Henry Sr.
Not exactly a novel concept either, is it?

Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:58 PM   #28
Pale Horse

Let's not do the 70 year old romance storyline, please. While it's great for certain types of films and relationships, we can't be entertained with something like this:

Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:30 AM   #29
Gear
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
Not really. The first time round you can rightfully call her an old flame, whom we didn't know and Indy meets again.
In KOTCS she's more of a recurring character, much like Sallah in LC

Yeah, but it's revealed in KotCS that Indy and Marion had once again had a falling-out since Raiders, and hadn't seen each other in years. To me, that seems to qualify.

Marion could come back as the antagonist for Indy V as the ex wife. "Once again what was briefly yours is now mine."
Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:33 PM   #30
curmudgeon
IndyFan

Quote:
Not exactly a novel concept either, is it?

Indy didn't know Elsa beforehand.

In my scenario, the lady and Indy would have had a contentious platonic relationship before the film even began. I'm imagining an "Oh God, not her again..." reaction upon her arrival in the film.
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:19 AM   #31
Olliana
IndyFan

Fun Fact: Ford was twice as old as Doody when they were filming Crusade.

Question: Would that make a 38 year-old love interest for Indy 5 legit?
Olliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:16 AM   #32
Mickiana
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliana
Fun Fact: Ford was twice as old as Doody when they were filming Crusade.

Probably not and it doesn't come down to some template maths formula laid over everything. But I suppose no one would want to see a 76 yo anything with a love interest half his age, especially Dr Jones in Indy5. Or at least I wouldn't. A man in his later 40s with a woman in her 20s is more acceptable.

But maybe we shouldn't be so ageist. The real world has plenty of old geezers with young ladies hanging off their arms. Of course the blokes have big, fat wallets.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #33
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliana

Brown chicken brown cow.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:07 AM   #34
Kai Hagen
IndyFan

If one 20-something year old is too young for Indy, why not have two?

Kai Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #35
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Hagen
If one 20-something year old is too young for Indy, why not have two?
This man would know how to handle them.

This man, on the other hand...

Old 02-13-2017, 07:10 AM   #36
Indyfan82
IndyFan

I may be in the minority here, but seeing as how in the last Indiana Jones movie, Indy reunited with Marion Ravenwood and finally married her, I would like to see Karen Allen back as Marion. She wouldn't have to have an extensive role, but it would be nice to see her included. I'd even be okay with Shia LaBeouf showing up for a bit as Mutt, though I hope that would only be a quick cameo. (I'm not particularly wanting to see more adventures of Indy and Mutt together- and it seems unlikely Shia would be brought back in any case.)
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #37
Walecs
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfan82
I may be in the minority here, but seeing as how in the last Indiana Jones movie, Indy reunited with Marion Ravenwood and finally married her, I would like to see Karen Allen back as Marion. She wouldn't have to have an extensive role, but it would be nice to see her included. I'd even be okay with Shia LaBeouf showing up for a bit as Mutt, though I hope that would only be a quick cameo. (I'm not particularly wanting to see more adventures of Indy and Mutt together- and it seems unlikely Shia would be brought back in any case.)
I agree with this. Marion doesn't necessarily need to appear along Indy around the world, but I'd be really disappointed if Karen Allen didn't appear at all.
Walecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:28 PM   #38
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
To me, Marion should make an appearance- not all movie necessarily but at least a couple of scenes to at least explain where she is and what their relationship is at this point.

In terms of a female lead, I'm liking the former students angle that Pale suggested in another thread- have a couple of former students. One of them easily could be female. I just don't think a younger love interest would be a good idea - I also doubt Disney would like that too. I also don't want the villain angle either- been done twice.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:37 AM   #39
Attila the Professor

Broadbent didn't add much to the show last time around, though that was, of course, largely a writing issue.

So maybe, if Indy spends some time with a Marcus type, that character could be a woman. Not Helen Mirren, necessarily, as she's a rather obvious choice, though she could easily play not-72 to Ford's not-75.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:57 AM   #40
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Broadbent would be a welcome return in my mind if it didn't suggest we'd be returning to campus. After the fourth movie I feel like we don't need any more time spent in the USA.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:51 PM   #41
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
if Indy spends some time with a Marcus type, that character could be a woman.

Yes, excellent idea!

When I started this thread, I was working on the assumption that the fifth move would be a prequel with a younger actor, and imagined the next Indy lady as "a sophisticated, smart, scholarly character who ends up actively helping Indy solve the puzzles and defuse the boobytraps they encounter in their quest for the macguffin".

Your post made me realize that such a character would work just as well with older Indy, particularly if she's a colleague.

The only difference with my original vision would be the lack of romantic developments.
Indy is now married to Marion and wouldn't fool around, particularly at his age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Not Helen Mirren, necessarily, as she's a rather obvious choice, though she could easily play not-72 to Ford's not-75.
Mirren would be great, IMO.

If they go for someone younger, Michelle Pfeiffer would also be a good choice.
She'll be around 60 by time they start shooting.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:01 PM   #42
Pale Horse

Quote:
If they go for someone younger, Michelle Pfeiffer would also be a good choice.She'll be around 60 by time they start shooting.

Plus they've worked together before.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:50 PM   #43
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Helen Mirren really should've been considered for an Indy girl back in the day. She could be both seductive and dangerous. She would've, in her heyday, made a great female villain. She had the acting chops too that she could've even portrayed a rival of Indy's in the field of archaeology on par or surpassing Belloq. A Dame who unlike Belloq doesn't mind getting her hands dirty to get what she wants. So many missed opportunities....
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:53 PM   #44
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Brown chicken brown cow.

It worked in The Misfits.

While Gable was only 59 he obviously looked a lot much older. Plus 59 was considered a LOT older than in 1960 than it is now. Marilyn was 34 at the time.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #45
Kai Hagen
IndyFan

Quote:
Perhaps Indy's son could have the hots for..... Elsa's daughter from her relationship with the Grail Knight who saved her?
Kai Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote