TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 02-02-2008, 11:03 AM   #26
Andy Jones
IndyFan

This is great news. Hopefully it won't be a one of and he'll write a few Indy books.
Andy Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #27
fixer79
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Jones
This is great news. Hopefully it won't be a one of and he'll write a few Indy books.

My thoughts exactly...
http://www.robmacgregor.net/works.htm states "More Indiana Jones...coming in '08 from Ballantine Books"...

Let's all keep our little whip-blistered fingers crossed
fixer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:14 AM   #28
walker
IndyFan

a tidbit on the new MacGregor Indy book

Hello everyone
There's been a rumor going around in some other threads that Rob MacGregor was going to write another Indiana Jones novel. In fact, it's listed on Amazon's British site (amazon.co.uk) already. The pub date is listed there are April 9th, 2009, so it's still quite a ways off.

In any case, I emailed Mr. MacGregor tonight via his website and asked him if he could confirm or deny anything. I was hoping this might be the start of a new series. He was very prompt to respond and kindly shared some of the details. I asked him if I might post them here and he is allowing me to confirm the basics. The finer points must stay under wraps per George (Lucas, that is). So, here's what I can tell you, with Mr. MacGregor's permission:

There is a new novel coming out in early 2009. He is indeed writing it. It has connections to the new version of the Indiana Jones video game coming out about the same time. I am not at liberty to tell you what it's about, or the time frame in which it takes place, but I can assure you it's going to be very cool.

So...not much information really - but I'm pleased just to know there's more Indy fiction on the way. As to whether or not this is the start of a new series, who knows? I'm sure it will depend on how many of us buy this novel and the adaptation by James Rollins.

Best
walker
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:36 AM   #29
metalinvader
IndyFan

Very,very nice! Thanks so much for sharing! If it has connections to the new game then it's most likely a prequel.Hmm...
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:13 AM   #30
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Wonderful news! I did speculate that this new novel was really new a couple of weeks back. Good to have confirmation!
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #31
Blue Jay
IndyFan

now we only need drew struzan to do the cover and we are back in 1992

but i think that this something we can expect
Blue Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #32
fixer79
IndyFan

Aaaah, finally!
I knew I wasn't the only one who had contacted mr. MacGregor about this new Indy book...
I wasn't sure I was allowed to spill the beans out here on the forum so I've kept silent for quite a few months.
I'm really glad you asked permission to break the news, Walker. Now we can finally discuss the new Indy book...

Personally, I'm incredibly thrilled that mr. MacGregor will be writing at least one more Indy novel. He was truly the best Indy writer of the bunch!

Counting down...
fixer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:22 PM   #33
xVendetta17x
IndyFan

I'd prefer Max McCoy but beggers can't be choosers
xVendetta17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #34
UltimateManGod
IndyFan

This is great to hear. Now that I've got most of the novels and I'm reading through them, I really like MacGregor's Indy books. The McCoy books certainly had the best action and were my favorites when I first read them years ago, but the MacGregor books I've finished are certainly keeping my attention and are just as well written. I get an Indy vibe from both authors. I've got no comlaints with him coming back and writing more Indy books. I'm dreading when I reach the Caidin novels though. I've yet to hear really nice things about them. Good thing there's only two.
UltimateManGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:49 PM   #35
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateManGod
This is great to hear. Now that I've got most of the novels and I'm reading through them, I really like MacGregor's Indy books. The McCoy books certainly had the best action and were my favorites when I first read them years ago, but the MacGregor books I've finished are certainly keeping my attention and are just as well written. I get an Indy vibe from both authors. I've got no comlaints with him coming back and writing more Indy books. I'm dreading when I reach the Caidin novels though. I've yet to hear really nice things about them. Good thing there's only two.

The characters are not bad in Caidin. He's just a little too into aviation technology. They're worth reading though, if you're reading the others, I say.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #36
xVendetta17x
IndyFan

He did Sky Pirates right?
I found it ridiculously out of place in the Indy Series
Old 03-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #37
UltimateManGod
IndyFan

Yes, Caidin did Sky Pirates and White Witch. I'll definitely read the books so I can have my own opinion about them, once I get to them in order. On a related note, the works page on MacGregor's site says to look for more Indy early next year too. I'm probably looking forward to the new book more than the new comic because I like reading books over comics. I like the books more than the first two comics I read in the omnibus. That's not to say they were bad. The books just felt more "Indy" to me than the comics did. Hopefully "Tomb of the Gods" impresses me more. Here's MacGregor's site with the Indy blurb. http://www.robmacgregor.net/works.htm
UltimateManGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:33 PM   #38
xVendetta17x
IndyFan

I'm ridiculously excited for the new comics
The work from the artist, who's name escapes me, is really good
It's going to be better then any of the Indy comics released in the 90s
Old 05-06-2008, 12:05 AM   #39
LawgSkrak
IndyFan

Any idea if he's tying these in with his original books at all?
LawgSkrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:30 AM   #40
scottbravesfan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPSHayes
I wonder if it will be a restart or continue where the previous books left off.

I actually emailed him a few months back and asked him if there would be any new Indy books and he said that he was going to write a novelization of the new lucasarts Indy game that is supposed to come out in 2008 but apparently has been pushed back to 2009. So the new book could be the adaptation of the video game.
scottbravesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:44 AM   #41
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

That would be the game with the euphoria technology, that they keep pushing back. They have done game adaptations for comics before (Fate of Atlantis) but that has only happened once. Interesting that they chose to do a tie-in novel. McGregor could probably come up with something better though. His books are my favourite.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #42
DIrishB
IndyFan

Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings (novel) by Rob MacGregor

So I emailed Rob MacGregor yesterday, asking him about his upcoming Indiana Jones novel, and got a quick and informative response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob MacGregor
Thanks for your kind words about my Indy novels. I do have another one coming out, but not until next year. It's related to the sixth generation of the Indiana Jones computer game. Game and novel have the same title -- Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings -- and somewhat similar story lines. My novel was completed months ago and was originally scheduled to come out at the time of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. But production on the game was delayed. The current publication date is fall of '09...

He also mentioned this, in case anyone is interested (I know I am):

Quote:
Thanks again for your comments. By the way, there is a new Indiana Jones magazine coming soon, and published in the UK. I'm being interviewed for an article this week. It's an official publication, licensed by LucasFilm to Titan Magazines.
Rob MacGregor

Very nice guy, all around (and great writer all around as well).

I find it interesting that he mentions the game and novel have "somewhat similar storylines". I suppose thats no big surprise, as some condensing, added characterization, or even ommission, addition, or re-ordering of events between the game and novel is probably to be expected. But at least now we know for sure that his new Indy novel will adapt the upcoming game.

Also interesting that its delayed until Fall of 2009, which I assume means thats when we can expect the game (I think its safe to assume they'll release the game and novel around the same time). This supports the theory I had that the Indy game won't be out until Fall of '09.
DIrishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #43
Dewy9
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIrishB
So I emailed Rob MacGregor yesterday, asking him about his upcoming Indiana Jones novel, and got a quick and informative response:

He also mentioned this, in case anyone is interested (I know I am):

Very nice guy, all around (and great writer all around as well).

I find it interesting that he mentions the game and novel have "somewhat similar storylines". I suppose thats no big surprise, as some condensing, added characterization, or even ommission, addition, or re-ordering of events between the game and novel is probably to be expected. But at least now we know for sure that his new Indy novel will adapt the upcoming game.

Also interesting that its delayed until Fall of 2009, which I assume means thats when we can expect the game (I think its safe to assume they'll release the game and novel around the same time). This supports the theory I had that the Indy game won't be out until Fall of '09.

Cool. Nice to get such a quick response.
Dewy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #44
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Firstly, I would just like to say to all the guys who didn't believe me when I said MacGregor was writing the novle tie-in for Staff of Kings, "I told you so!"

Secondly, I can't wait for both Perry's novel and this tie-in by MacGregor. It means even if I suck at the game (which no doubt I probably will), I can find out what happens next via the novel! Yay! It's sooooo about time we had some new Indy novels. I've been enjoying the comics so far, but the novels will be all the more sweeter.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #45
DIrishB
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewy9
Cool. Nice to get such a quick response.

I thought so too. He just comes across as a really nice guy, too, which is something I can always be supportive of (besides the fact that he writes awesome Indy novels, which is something I'm DEFINITELY supportive of...heh).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Indy
Firstly, I would just like to say to all the guys who didn't believe me when I said MacGregor was writing the novle tie-in for Staff of Kings, "I told you so!"

Nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-naaaah!

Quote:
Secondly, I can't wait for both Perry's novel and this tie-in by MacGregor. It means even if I suck at the game (which no doubt I probably will), I can find out what happens next via the novel! Yay! It's sooooo about time we had some new Indy novels. I've been enjoying the comics so far, but the novels will be all the more sweeter.

I just hope it expands on the story of the game some...maybe incorporating deleted sections of the game, or added characterization (which is a given anyway), etc.

It'll just be nice to read a new Indy novel by MacGregor. His were always my favorite. McCoys are awesome too, and McCoy's storylines seems more in-line with the Indy movies, but MacGregor's novels flowed better and were just overall written better. Caidin's...well, they sucked.

So yeah, very much looking forward to this. Too bad we'll have to wait a year or so to see it released, but I can be patient.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #46
Johnny Jones
IndyFan

Well I'm glad he's so nice. I hate it when authors or celebrities are jerks, although with all the pressures of that lifestyle I can't always blame them. But when someone is kind and patient with fans it makes it even easier for me to enjoy their work. And it's probably better that we're not getting all the Indy stuff at once, or we'd guzzle through it all and have nothing to look forward too...
Do you suppose they'll ever do a novelization of Emperor's Tomb? I know it would be kind of redundant... but I don't want any of Indy's adventures missing from my bookshelf. If they did hopefully Rob would be their first choice for that as well.
Johnny Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #47
DIrishB
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Jones
Do you suppose they'll ever do a novelization of Emperor's Tomb? I know it would be kind of redundant... but I don't want any of Indy's adventures missing from my bookshelf.

Then just put the game on your bookshelf.

Quote:
If they did hopefully Rob would be their first choice for that as well.

I think it depends on how successful the existing (and upcoming) novels are. In fact, I wonder how the re-released Bantam novels (by MacGregor, Caidin, and McCoy) are selling?
Old 09-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #48
Moedred
Administrator

I decided to merge with the MacGregor 2009 thread... because it's most certainly the same book.

It funny the Staff of Kings title has been leaked so much the author's use of it is no surprise.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:47 PM   #49
DIrishB
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
I decided to merge with the MacGregor 2009 thread... because it's most certainly the same book.

Makes perfect sense. And here I thought confirmation of MacGregor's upcoming Indy novel being an adaptation of the upcoming game was news...

I'm so silly.

Quote:
It funny the Staff of Kings title has been leaked so much the author's use of it is no surprise.

Yeah. Its telling just how much of a tentpole release the upcoming Staff of Kings game will be...seeing as how its THE major Indy release next year and is getting its own novelization.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #50
Luke Skywalker
IndyFan

It will be the Indy universe's 'The Force Unleashed' kind of promotion.

A cannon story also?
Luke Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote