TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 06-10-2009, 11:11 PM   #101
Indy's Fist
IndyFan

I like that idea and would by it! I was also wondering if they could do a multi part book? Maybe in the form of say five parts, each with a cliff-hanger ending, well except the final book that is. Each sold seperatly, yet all one complete story!
Indy's Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #102
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

I would definitly buy it. It would be cool to combine staff of kings and kingdom of the crystal skull.
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:36 AM   #103
fixer79
IndyFan

Given the choice I'd prefer a seperate paperback novel, like all the other MacGregor Indy novels, with a cover by Drew.
Sadly, beggars can't be choosers...

The most important thing is to read the novel, so yes, I'd definitely buy your compilation
fixer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:45 AM   #104
Goonie
IndyFan

I'd probably get it , but, don't forget, there are the issues of licensing and getting by the great flanneled one.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:33 AM   #105
Trennas
IndyFan

Would probably buy it too, although I also prefer paperback (so less heavy to carry around )
Trennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #106
walker
IndyFan

Re: the great flanneled one, this would be a licensed property. I'm just trying to gauge interest. Not sure what the actual price would be. Just throwing a high one out to see what the ceiling would be. Thanks for the feedback.
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #107
Stoo
IndyFan

I bought a compilation of classic, adventure tales just to own a printed version of H. Rider Haggard's, Allan Quatermain short story, "A Tale of Three Lions" and enjoyed the other tales as well. Yes, I would definitely buy this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer79
Given the choice I'd prefer a seperate paperback novel, like all the other MacGregor Indy novels, with a cover by Drew.
Sadly, beggars can't be choosers...

The most important thing is to read the novel, so yes, I'd definitely buy your compilation
Wholeheartedly agree on each count but considering Drew has now retired, the cover would be done by someone else (and hopefully not using the video game artwork...) It's a cryin' shame that this book was cancelled.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #108
Plaristes
IndyFan

I want the book, so however it's released, I'll buy it.
Plaristes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #109
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker
Re: the great flanneled one, this would be a licensed property. I'm just trying to gauge interest. Not sure what the actual price would be. Just throwing a high one out to see what the ceiling would be. Thanks for the feedback.

25 is defintly a fair price for a new Indy novel, especially if other stories were included.
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:56 AM   #110
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Yep, definitely have my vote!

Especially since the Australian dollar is now 80c US.

I would have bought it anyway actually. Heck, I paid 50 bucks (Aust) for a couple of the DH Omnibuses.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #111
The Tingler
IndyFan

$25 isn't that much, that's almost normal for a hardcover!

While I'd definitely prefer it separately, I'd certainly buy it in a compilation!
The Tingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #112
QBComics
IndyFan

Yes, I definitely would. I only have a few books to read at the moment (a bunch are some classic novels), and I would love to read this before Army of the Dead comes out.
QBComics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #113
Jono11
IndyFan

Do you have any kind of plan in place for getting George Lucas to just hand over a licensed and paid-for piece of Indy fiction that he has decided should not be published? Does George Lucas seem like the type of person who would just do that?
Jono11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #114
walker
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono11
Do you have any kind of plan in place for getting George Lucas to just hand over a licensed and paid-for piece of Indy fiction that he has decided should not be published? Does George Lucas seem like the type of person who would just do that?

That made me laugh. I'm not suggesting that George Lucas would "just hand over" a license to anyone (he wouldn't, obviously). I just know a couple of folks over at Random House and I'm trying to set up a situation by which they could justify publishing the book well after the game has been released.

It could very well end up that Random agrees to do it, but LucasFilms says no anyway. But I won't know until I explore it further.

The feedback from everyone on their interest in buying the book has been helpful, so thanks to you all for that.
walker

Last edited by walker : 06-13-2009 at 05:32 PM.
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #115
Laserschwert
IndyFan

Just wondering, has anything come from this?
Laserschwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #116
michael
IndyFan

Location: "What was it again? The penitent man will what? Oh No."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert
Just wondering, has anything come from this?
I don't think many things come from online petitions, especially one for a book about a game that got horrendous reviews.

Although, I do believe I signed this...
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #117
IndyBr
IndyFan

I signed it either...
Damn, that novel would have been great, the game is too simplistic, out of nothing Magnus learn how to use the Staff, Mayas in Panama, Indy somehow knowing where in Nepal to find the Staff... all this could have been better explained in the novel (At least the Mayas in Panama were, acording to Macgregor in his site).
But I've lost hope that it will be released.
IndyBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #118
RaiderMitch
TR.N Staff Member

THe Lost Novel

Author Rob Macgregor digs up the truth behind his "lost" Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings novel http://www.sevenrealmspublishing.com...acgregor/?p=43
RaiderMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #119
Rocket Surgeon

Nice link, thanks...maybe it could go somewhere a bit more eye catching, like here.

In any event, for our posterity:

Quote:
Every so often I get an e-mail from someone asking if I wrote a novel called Indiana Jones and Staff of Kings. As any avid Indy fan knows, that’s the name of the sixth version of the Indiana Jones computer game. There is no novel by that name. But there was supposed to be one. I know. I wrote it.

It rests on a shelf behind me in manuscript form. Had it been published, it would’ve been my seventh Indiana Jones novel.

The novel was written under contract, it was accepted for publication, and I was paid quite well for it. I was even flown out to LucasFilm in San Francisco to talk about the novel.

Everything seemed to be going quite well until the publisher literally forgot about it. The jargon phrases used for such a mistake go like this: ‘Someone dropped the ball.’ Or, ‘It fell through the crack in the floor.’ No, it wasn’t a ball, it wasn’t a crack. It was rigid thinking by the company execs, and an overworked editor.

You see, the publisher was fixated on the novel coming out the same time as the related computer game. The problem was that LucasFilm changed their game platform and that changed their schedule. No one told the publisher about it. Well, actually I did. A couple of avid Indy bloggers informed me of the changes, which I passed on to the editor. Unfortunately, the message never got through. The editor thought I had it wrong. Certainly, she would be informed on such matters, she implied.

Then the game came out just as the bloggers had said it would, but there was no book accompanying the release. The logical thing, it seemed to me, would be to rush the book into print. Nope. Somehow, the powers-that-be felt the book would not sell well unless it was released precisely at the time the game came out.

That’s what I call rigid thinking. Do people who buy and play computer games buy a related book? Maybe some do. But I think it’s a different audience. If you’re spending money on games, you’re probably not buying books.

So Del Rey lost money on the project, namely because no one ever had an opportunity to buy the book. An Indy fan wrote Howard Roffman, president of the Lucas Licensing, and asked what happened to the book. The response was forwarded to me. ‘Rob MacGregor missed the deadline.’

Oh, yeah. I wrote to Roffman and told him that Del Rey had the completed novel for more than a year before the game came out. He checked on it, wrote me back, and apologized.

From a writer’s point of view, it’s all part of the business. If you get a contract and get paid, what happens to the book is basically none of the writer’s business. It wasn’t the first time, I’d encountered a publisher who accepted my work, paid me, then failed to follow through. Years ago, Trish and I wrote for OMNI Magazine and they did the same thing. Repeatedly.

Of course, OMNI doesn’t exist any longer, and I’m thinking that many of the major publishers will fall through that ‘crack in the floor’ themselves…because someone ‘dropped the ball.’
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #120
Rocket Surgeon

Untill it's moved...(hopefully).

The Lost Novel

Thanks Mitchie...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #121
RaiderMitch
TR.N Staff Member

no problem, Patty...
RaiderMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #122
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Seeing the cover just makes me more sad. The cover actually fits in with the rest of the novels (for some reason, the AotD cover does't follow suit in looks, though I suppose it did match with the adult novel of KOTCS).

It's pretty annoying to know that my fave Indy author has a novel that currently looks as though it will remain unread. I can't imagine what that must feel like for an author. He sounds frustrated.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #123
IAdventurer01
IndyFan

Just more proof on how the whole affair was botched. It's odd what the game we got out was so mediocre and yet the game and novel that was cancelled still looks so good!
IAdventurer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:00 AM   #124
Moedred
Administrator

Key

You can read the game scripts here.

Now that we have a cover I'll have to add it to the list of novels, as "coming soon" with Del Rey contact info.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #125
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet
Seeing the cover just makes me more sad. The cover actually fits in with the rest of the novels (for some reason, the AotD cover does't follow suit in looks, though I suppose it did match with the adult novel of KOTCS).
Must agree, Violet. This is a GORGEOUS cover and makes a great match with the Bantam series. I'm in love with it. So nice to see Indy amongst the snowflakes but rather sad to know the book is just beyond our grasp!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
In any event, for our posterity:
Also for our posterity, the artist's name is: Christian Guldager

P.S. Thanks for the finding the article, Mitchie-Poo!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote