TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 04-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #151
Snakes
IndyFan

Art is completely objective. With comics I also think it depends on the story. I personally liked the art in part 3 of FOA best out of all the comics collected in the omnibus.
Snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #152
I Hate Snakes!
IndyFan

I got mine about a week ago from Borders. Great stuff. Do you think they will be making a Marvel Omnibus? Most of the posters in this forum have been saying that it is the better Indiana Jones comic book producer.
I Hate Snakes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #153
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Well, it depends upon how you view the character and what you think an Indy story should be like.

The Marvels are looser in many ways. They tend to involve a lot more MacGuffin quests of the authors' invention, while the Dark Horse ones were more inclined toward basing Indy adventures around existing myths and legends. The Dark Horse ones are more... thoughtfully planned; Dark Horse's were all miniseries, each with a defined story arc, and gave the impression of having been done when somebody had had a specific story idea they wanted to do and that prompted DH to do a(nother) Indy series, whereas Marvel had a regular, ongoing monthly series, and tended to have stories that were more 'whipped up' as needed. Dark Horse also benefited from some years of advancing reader expectations of what a licensed comic series could and should be, and the DH comics seem to have had more care put into them with regard to fitting them into a detailed Indy timeline and canon, but in Marvel's defense there was hardly anything for them to worry about when theirs started - just the first two movies, really.

If you order $100 or more worth of stuff from the online Indy store, they'll add in a free vintage Marvel Indy comic, which may help give you a taste of what the Marvels were like if you don't have any, without you having to make any special investment of time or money to get them. They don't distinguish between comics, though - they just give you a randomly selected comic (it could even be from one of the movie adaptations, or any one of the 34 issues of the regular series), so it's hardly the ideal way to go about trying to plug a hole in one's collection if one already has most of them.
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:41 AM   #154
xVendetta17x
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJones
Nah. Thunder had the best artwork. It was fate, improved.

Thunder had amazing artwork till the last issue
Where they switched the artist
The story is still amazing but the artwork is questionable
Speaking of which, does anyone know why they switched the artist
xVendetta17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #155
phantom train
IndyFan

Quote:

"I got mine about a week ago from Borders. Great stuff. Do you think they will be making a Marvel Omnibus? Most of the posters in this forum have been saying that it is the better Indiana Jones comic book producer."

Quote:

"Well, it depends upon how you view the character and what you think an Indy story should be like.

The Marvels are looser in many ways. They tend to involve a lot more MacGuffin quests of the authors' invention, while the Dark Horse ones were more inclined toward basing Indy adventures around existing myths and legends. The Dark Horse ones are more... thoughtfully planned; Dark Horse's were all miniseries, each with a defined story arc, and gave the impression of having been done when somebody had had a specific story idea they wanted to do and that prompted DH to do a(nother) Indy series, whereas Marvel had a regular, ongoing monthly series, and tended to have stories that were more 'whipped up' as needed. Dark Horse also benefited from some years of advancing reader expectations of what a licensed comic series could and should be, and the DH comics seem to have had more care put into them with regard to fitting them into a detailed Indy timeline and canon, but in Marvel's defense there was hardly anything for them to worry about when theirs started - just the first two movies, really."

Very true - the Marvel IJ comics are a lot looser than the DH series, but I prefer them because of this. These Marvel stories are a lot more off-the-cuff, and impromptu, which to me makes them more compelling (just my opinion, though). This website (theraider.net) has a description of all of the Marvel Indy comics, and these are worth reading if anyone is interested.

BTW, one of the reasons I am talking up these Marvel Indy comics so much is because I really want DH to reprint them (something DH hasn't officially announced yet). I haven't read these comics for years, and would much prefer to have them re-colored and reprinted on high-quality paper than to have to search for the original issues which are printed on cheap newsprint.
phantom train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #156
yodazone
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom train
BTW, one of the reasons I am talking up these Marvel Indy comics so much is because I really want DH to reprint them (something DH hasn't officially announced yet). I haven't read these comics for years, and would much prefer to have them re-colored and reprinted on high-quality paper than to have to search for the original issues which are printed on cheap newsprint.

I've been wanting to re-read the old Marvel issues but my copies are over 25 years and they have that old comic smell. woof!

I can't wait for Dark Horse to release the Marvel run again...with movie adaptations too.

yodazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #157
Snakes
IndyFan

If you can find the "Africa Screams" 2 part comic from the Marvel series, I'd definitely pick it up. Best Marvel Indy comic I've read.
Snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #158
I Hate Snakes!
IndyFan

Orient>Atlantis>Arms

Didn't get into Arms of Gold that much. It was kinda hard to follow along since about a fourth of it was in Spanish.
I Hate Snakes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:17 AM   #159
LawgSkrak
IndyFan

How are they printing the stories in these omnibuses? In chronological order or in the order the original comics were released?
LawgSkrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:47 AM   #160
LawgSkrak
IndyFan

Anyone? Please?
LawgSkrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:00 AM   #161
DrHapgood
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawgSkrak
How are they printing the stories in these omnibuses? In chronological order or in the order the original comics were released?

It looks like release order considering their first 3 releases were Fate Of Atlantis, Thunder in the Orient, then Arms of Gold. (With the Young Indy comics books being released in between FoA and TitO)

And considering Omnibus vol. 2 finishes off the entire Dark Horse run, I'm hoping right after that they'll start working on either the Marvel Omnibuses or a Young Indy Omnibus.
DrHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #162
Luke Skywalker
IndyFan

Indiana Jones Omnibus Titan books edition (UK) question

Hi i'm new here, best site on the net about Indiana jones, congrats to everyone.

Recently (on the indy merchandise frenzy the new film has unleashed ) I bought from an internet store in UK the 1st Omnibus of the Dark horse comics. I was expecting a Titan books reprint (that's the version i ordered), but i got a Dark Horse US print with a barcode sticker from titan books with the price in pounds, and the UK ISBN, over the printed barcode on the cover.

Is this normal? I would like to order the 2nd Omnibus, but i want the two to be of the same publisher, so if anyone can help me i would be most grateful, i'll order from amazon.com, but i would prefer to order from the same UK site since i dont want to put the credit card number on more sites than necessary and the shipping days are less.

Thanks to everyone
Luke Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #163
Ignatius Stone
IndyFan

It's normal.
Depending on the specific publication and the retailer, you'll either find the UK edition which is sublicensed to Titan for British publication, or the imported US edition with stickers overlaying the price and barcode. All of the Indy omnibus editions I've seen so far have simply been US editions with Titan's stickers over the barcodes, so I'm not sure if Titan actually printed a UK edition as such.
Generally I only buy the US editions, but it's a matter of personal choice.
Specialized comic book stores stock the US direct import editions without the annoying stickers.
Ignatius Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:22 PM   #164
Luke Skywalker
IndyFan

Many MANY thanks!
Luke Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #165
Rocket Surgeon

Comics Deal: Indiana Jones Omnibus Volume 1 TPB

Quote:
Indiana Jones Omnibus Volume 1 TPB - nick & dent

WAS: $24.95
NOW: $6.99
LIMITED SUPPLIES LEFT - HURRY!

Time remaining: 10:47:06

Indiana Jones is back in this massive volume recounting three of the most important discoveries in the career of the twentieth century's most adventurous archaeologist!

Containing the long-out-of-print stories, "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis," "Thunder in the Orient," and "Indiana Jones and the Arms of Gold," this substantial tome follows the intrepid Dr. Jones as he travels from Africa to Asia and nearly everywhere in between in a race against the Nazis for the world's greatest treasures. From lost cities, to ancient temples, to artifacts of legendary power, Indy will stop at nothing to preserve these prizes from the grasp of Adolf Hitler's evil minions.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote