TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 04-19-2008, 01:17 AM   #101
Perhilion
IndyFan

lol that'd be a great gag, Dovechenko tries to punch out Indy and ends up smacking himself in the face and off the sled!
Perhilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #102
xVendetta17x
IndyFan

Maybe the Aliens impregnated Marion
xVendetta17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:19 PM   #103
DocWhiskey
IndyFan

Has anybody found this handbook in a bookstore? I was going to order it online along with the Lost Journal when it's released but it sounds really cool.
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:31 PM   #104
xVendetta17x
IndyFan

I found it in Chapters
But Chapters is only Canadian if my memory serves me right
Old 04-19-2008, 11:37 PM   #105
metalinvader
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien

Anyways, could you scan the "alien" page? I'd be interested in seeing what it specifically says...

I don't have a scanner but I'd be more than willing to type it out.......

Quote:
The number of academics who believe in the existence of extraterrestrials is surprisingly large,despite the the evidence for such beings is equivocal.Mathematically speaking,life on planets beyond ours is not impossible.What is hard to rationalize-or justify mathematically-is that such life is (a) intelligent,(b) living at a time concurent to our own,and (c) capable of constructing spacecraft capable of traveling from distant galaxies to Earth.Yet for all these uncertainties,Scientist would not be scientist if they did not ask the question,What if?Certainly,it is worth keeping an open mind about the possibility of other dimensions when working in the field.Indeed,many cultures,including our own,embrace and promulgate fascinating bits of folklore surrounding the explanation of unusual phenomena that should definitely be investigated by willing researchers. But if you are ever confronted with beings from other dimensions,it may be smart to do as Indy did and get the heck out of there.As fascinating as aliens may be,you don't want to end up an artifact in another species' meseum.
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:45 PM   #106
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalinvader
I don't have a scanner but I'd be more than willing to type it out.......

Merci.

Hmmm.... interesting... and disconcerting.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:55 PM   #107
xVendetta17x
IndyFan

Seems something more out of a UFO book rather then an Indiana Jones Handbook
Old 04-20-2008, 01:48 AM   #108
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by xVendetta17x
Maybe the Aliens impregnated Marion

Well, Karen Allen's character in 'Starman", did it with the alien ad got pregrant.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:42 PM   #109
Perhilion
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien
That seems to suggest not aliens, but inter-dimensional beings... Sorta the Infernal Machine route?

Either way, I dislike the concept.
When you think about it, if handled correctly, it would be no worse than the ghosts in Raider. Just so long as Indy doesn't cross dimensions, it's basically the same thing.
Perhilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #110
xVendetta17x
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Indy
Well, Karen Allen's character in 'Starman", did it with the alien ad got pregrant.

Haha, really?
I've never seen Starman before
Old 04-20-2008, 03:48 PM   #111
herr gruber

I've stuck to my guns on the Oh, please, not aliens argument. Aliens are at least tangible whereas the spooks at the Raiders finale weren't.
I really don't see the problem.
herr gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #112
Deckard
IndyFan

"But if you are ever confronted with beings from other dimensions,it may be smart to do as Indy did and get the heck out of there.As fascinating as aliens may be,you don't want to end up an artifact in another species' meseum. "

Sure sounds like that confirms living, breathing aliens. And apparently not friendly, close encounters, hand holding aliens. Indy runs from aliens? Hmm...
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:19 PM   #113
xVendetta17x
IndyFan

I'm sure all the anti-alien hype will dissapear once everyone sees the film
The more I see of the film the more I'm beginning to believe how they're going to pull it off
Old 04-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #114
bergstrom
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xVendetta17x
Haha, really?
I've never seen Starman before

A great film with an ending that begged for a sequel, one which was written (unsolicited by irish screenwriter Brad Hansen). never went anywhere though. Even Jeff Bridges suggested a story.

Berg
bergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #115
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard
"But if you are ever confronted with beings from other dimensions,it may be smart to do as Indy did and get the heck out of there.As fascinating as aliens may be,you don't want to end up an artifact in another species' meseum. "

Sure sounds like that confirms living, breathing aliens. And apparently not friendly, close encounters, hand holding aliens. Indy runs from aliens? Hmm...

Maybe he runs because they come as a surprise and just scare the **** out of him; I picture him running through the Akator temple near the climax of the film, after having dealt of with death-defying traps one-after-another, and then suddenly he stops. We see a close-up of his horrified face, and as he runs away, we see three aliens sitting on a throne (as was described by several movie sites a while back).
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #116
SterankoII
IndyFan

Does anybody have any scans?
SterankoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #117
donufro
IndyFan

I'm far more concerned about the refrigerator than anything involving aliens. Do you realize if that makes the movie, it will become fodder for every smart aleck who criticizes a movie's logic?

"That's as bad as using a refrigerator to survive a nuclear blast!"

It's just the sort of stupid thing that could hurt the movie. I can't imagine out of all the people involved, especially Ford (who suggested 'why don't I just shoot the son of a b*tch', that they would consider that idea anywhere near decent.

Now, if the bomb wasn't atomic, I could see the refrigerator having SOME plausability, as long as he was far enough away. Also, if they're trying to tie in real history (Roswell) with the story, wouldn't they also need some sort of historical reference for an atomic bomb detonation in 1950s New Mexico? But there isn't one, that I know of. So it gives me hope that it's not an atom bomb, just a conventional one. I could handle that.

Last edited by donufro : 04-20-2008 at 11:08 PM.
donufro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:14 PM   #118
donufro
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vile
That said, Iím quite happy to see Indiana Jones cross over into ĎX-Filesí territory (assuming itís done well and it doesnít invalidate what went on in the other movies).

If you think about it, the other three movies invalidate each other. Raiders deals with the Hebrew God and suggests omnipotence, TOD deals with Hindu and the power that exists, thus challenging the Hebrew God's omnipotence in the first place, and the Last Crusade invalidates them both because it deals with the Christian God. It's the same as the Hebrew God, yes, but Jewish people don't believe in Jesus' divinity, so if the Hebrew God is the true one, then Jesus can't be divine.

So they're already invalidated. :-)

Bring on the ETs!
donufro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:23 PM   #119
herr gruber

What is all this refrigerator business? It's absurd! It sounds like something that Mel Brooks would consider. If hiding in a refrigerator protects you from an atomic blast then I guess everyone with a fridge survives an atomic attack. It's crazy. What's next? Mass underground refrigerators?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:02 AM   #120
|ZiR|
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by donufro
If you think about it, the other three movies invalidate each other. Raiders deals with the Hebrew God and suggests omnipotence, TOD deals with Hindu and the power that exists, thus challenging the Hebrew God's omnipotence in the first place, and the Last Crusade invalidates them both because it deals with the Christian God. It's the same as the Hebrew God, yes, but Jewish people don't believe in Jesus' divinity, so if the Hebrew God is the true one, then Jesus can't be divine.

So they're already invalidated. :-)

How dare you bring your logic in here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herr gruber
What is all this refrigerator business? It's absurd! It sounds like something that Mel Brooks would consider. If hiding in a refrigerator protects you from an atomic blast then I guess everyone with a fridge survives an atomic attack. It's crazy. What's next? Mass underground refrigerators?

It's all about the context. If the refrigerator is anywhere near the blast it'll be pretty ridiculous, yeah. But we still don't know the full story (i.e. where the fridge is in relation to the blast site.) I think hiding in a fridge is a neat, if implausible, idea. Very IJ.
|ZiR| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:12 AM   #121
herr gruber

Quote:
Originally Posted by |ZiR|
How dare you bring your logic in here!!

It's all about the context. If the refrigerator is anywhere near the blast it'll be pretty ridiculous, yeah. But we still don't know the full story (i.e. where the fridge is in relation to the blast site.) I think hiding in a fridge is a neat, if implausible, idea. Very IJ.

Yes, but I can't imagine how they could bring such a ridiculous scene to the screen without it looking like a scene from from a Pink Panther movie. We'll have to wait and see.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:15 AM   #122
agentsands77
IndyFan

Quote:
Yes, but I can't imagine how they could bring such a ridiculous scene to the screen without it looking like a scene from from a Pink Panther movie.
Have you read the SAUCER MEN script? This sequence is in it. You should check it out.

At any rate, it's no more ridiculous than the life raft stunt from TEMPLE OF DOOM, and probably won't come across as blatantly silly.
agentsands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:21 AM   #123
herr gruber

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsands77
Have you read the SAUCER MEN script? This sequence is in it. You should check it out.

At any rate, it's no more ridiculous than the life raft stunt from TEMPLE OF DOOM, and probably won't come across as blatantly silly.

Yeah, there are more implausible escapes in the trilogy but something about
the fridge makes me smile. "Quick, move the frozen peas! Get in!"
Old 04-21-2008, 12:26 AM   #124
agentsands77
IndyFan

Quote:
Yeah, there are more implausible escapes in the trilogy but something about
the fridge makes me smile. "Quick, move the frozen peas! Get in!"
That's not quite how it works, at least in SAUCER MEN.

Indy frantically tears through the fake house, tries to get into the basement, but realizes that, upon opening the door, the "basement" is only two-feet deep. So he empties the fridge, lays inside the two-foot basement and pulls the fridge over him like a turtle shell.
agentsands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:27 AM   #125
|ZiR|
IndyFan

Quote:

Oh! I knew there was a reason it seemed so familiar - I'd read it BEFORE. Here's the actual sequence for anyone who's too lazy to get it themselves.

(Spoiler Warning?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucer Men From Mars
ON INDY
He ducks behind a single-story house and knocks on the screen door. No answer.

INDY
Anybody here? It’s an emergency, I need to borrow a phone!

He tries the knob, it turns and he enters the house.

INT. HOUSE - DAY
MUSIC plays from a radio. Indy moves quickly into a modern kitchen, equipped with the latest and best appliances--a new electric range, large Westinghouse refrigerator. He picks up the phone and dials "0”, then realizing the line is dead. He clicks the receiver, nothing. He hangs up and looks around. The house has an eerie, hollow feeling.
Indy moves toward the dinning room where four figures sit at the table as if waiting for dinner.

INDY
I'm sorry, I knocked but—

He stops when he realizes that they are all mannequins. Just then the music on the radio stops and we hear:

RADIO ANNOUNCES (V.0.)
You've been listening to Civil Defense Radio...

INDY
I've got a bad feeling about this...

EXT. GAS STATION - DAY
Spy #2 plugs the phone with change but discovers that it too is fake.

Spy #1, peering inside the gas station, sees that the sleeping gas station attendant is also a mannequin. Just then a CIVIL DEFENSE SIREN starts to wail.

SPY #1
Uh...oh...

Both men bolt for the car.

EXT. HOUSE - DAY
As the SIREN WAILS Indy runs out of the house to the family car. Like the family it too is only a prop. He runs around the side of the house in time to see the two spies roaring out of town in their car. Indy stops, considers his options then runs back inside.

INT. HOUSE / KITCHEN - DAY
Indy runs into the kitchen and sees a trap door to the basement.
He throws the door to reveal...
...a two foot crawl space.

INDY
Great...

But the walls of the foundation are concrete. He gets an idea.
Indy throws open the refrigerator and hurls the contents, shelves and all, onto the floor as we...

CUT TO:
INT. CAR - DAY
The two spies roar out of town. Driving like bats cut of hell, they speed across the desert. As the town fades behind them they begin to relax when they pass a sign which says:
ENTERING TWO MILE ATOMIC BLAST ZONE.
The two men exchange a look, realizing they went the wrong way,

SPY#1
Uh, oh...

HIT. THE KITCHEN - DAY
Indy hops into the crawl space and topples the fridge over the crawlspace like a lead-lined turtle shell. It fits over him just as the room glows white.

EXT. THE DESERT - DAY
The two spies frantically try to turn their car when the sky in front of them suddenly flashes white and the fireball of the atomic blast rises. The heat wave hits them – immediately igniting the car.
INT. CAR - DAY
The two spies incinerate before our eyes, as—

EXT. DESERT - DAY
a monstrous CLAP OF THUNDER, the shock wave, blows out the fire, then lifts the charred car like a feather and sends it flying back toward town.

EXT. THE DESERT/ TOWN - DAY
The shock wave roars across the desert and hits the town...
Cars, gas pumps, signs, mailboxes, roofs, street signs, fuel tanks everything not bolted down is suddenly propelled across the desert in front of the blast--

INT. HOUSE - DAY
The impact blows out the walls and rips off the roof of the house. The howling wind strips the house clean - then we loose sight of the house in the swirling dust...

EXT. TOWN - DAY
The dust begins to settle...Shapes seem to rise en the horizon.
THE HOUSE
is gone except for the foundation.

Indy pushes back the refrigerator and stands shakily. He stares around him at the devastation and makes out SIX WHITE FIGURES moving slowly toward him. Their movements are stiff and non-human and as they get closer we see they make sweeping movements with what look like long appendages.
Then the wind clears and we see
THEY ARE A DECONTAMINATION TEAM armed with long-handled Geiger counters. They stop in amazement when they see Indy.

LEADER
Holy cow, we've got a live one.

Quote:
That's not quite how it works, at least in SAUCER MEN.

Indy frantically tears through the fake house, tries to get into the basement, but realizes that, upon opening the door, the "basement" is only two-feet deep. So he empties the fridge, lays inside the two-foot basement and pulls the fridge over him like a turtle shell.

Oh, well thanks for beating me to it.

Last edited by |ZiR| : 04-21-2008 at 12:35 AM.
|ZiR| is offline   Reply With Quote