TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 06-26-2008, 12:05 AM   #51
Snakes
IndyFan

Jeez! Its been 3 weeks since they said it would be released. How much longer is it gonna be? This comic better be good!
Snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:11 AM   #52
yodazone
IndyFan

I think it will be. But Dark Horse has really been slow dancin' on releasing these new books around the time when the #1 movie on the planet is out right now. It's been a month since and nothing new!

Been waiting years to see some original "Indy" comic stories!

They could at least release the "Marvel Indy Omnibus" to tide the fans over during this wait....

Last edited by yodazone : 06-26-2008 at 12:19 AM.
yodazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:49 AM   #53
Dust McAlan
IndyFan

I was at my LCS today with my son, because I told him that finally TODAY would be the day he gets his Indy comic. I searched high and low, didn't see it. They were still unpacking, so l checked near the boxes, and lo and behold there it was! I snatched it up, gave it to him, and we paid and left.

Reading these other posts, I wonder if I was supposed to be able to buy it today. Oh well. Tomorrow after I read through it again expect a review!
Dust McAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #54
Wulfgang
IndyFan

I was at my comic store yesterday and saw a copy. Sadly, it was a copy that was ordered for another customer. My comic store lady let me take a quick look and I ended up ordering one for myself. It should be here in a week or two. Looks very cool guys.
We finally got something cool here in Canada!
Wulfie
Wulfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:53 AM   #55
foreignerfred
IndyFan

I got it yesterday and read it immediately. It was good, but you need to think of it as sort of a comic book companion to an Indiana Jones Animated Series that doesn't exist (yet). You need to free yourself to the premise.

Imagine if you had just watched Tim Burton's movie for the first time and decided you wanted to get a Batman comic. But instead of buying an issue of "Detective Comics" or "Batman" you bought a copy of "Batman Adventures," the comic based on the Bruce Timm/ Paul Dini animated series. What you'd experience in this hypothetical situation is what you will experience when you pick up "Indiana Jones Adventures."

I won't post spoilers unless you want me to, but you will get most of the beats you expect in an Indy story, and...CHARACTERS. Let's just say that Forrestal and Marcus aren't the only characters who appear from the movie series.

I recommend it for younger and older audiences alike, but you must free yourself to the premise. I'll be there for Volume 2...

"...But you don't have to take MY word for it!"
foreignerfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #56
Junior Jones
IndyFan

I got mine yesterday, too, and I really enjoyed it.

Timeline question for those who have it...
Do you think Winter 1930 means January/February or November/December?
Junior Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:19 PM   #57
foreignerfred
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Jones
I got mine yesterday, too, and I really enjoyed it.

Timeline question for those who have it...
Do you think Winter 1930 means January/February or November/December?

There was no mention of Christmas or anything, so I would guess January/ February is your choices were the only options I had.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #58
Dust McAlan
IndyFan

Indiana Jones Adventures, Vol. 1: An Honest Review

One thing that I'd like to point out to begin with, is that Indiana Jones Adventures, Vol. 1 is the first published work of writer Philip Gelatt. He's a lucky bastard, and upon reading the comic, clearly he's a talented one at that.

The story moves at a brisk pace, even for 80 pages: we begin in Sweden, 1930, with Indy on the trail of a Norse treasure, which crosses his path with that of Theresa Lawerence, a British archaeologist who is none too pleased to see Dr. Jones on her site. A little searching reveals their treasure: a golden ring used by an ancient Odin cult, but it turns out that that's not really what the treasure was, and so the hunt begins with Indy and Theresa on the trail of a certain French archaeologist/mercenary.

Without spoiling much, I'll tell you that this is book is just as action-packed as any of the films, and quite honestly the best work of the expanded universe I've read to date. Indy is a little more ruthless in this outing (as we see from his trip to the British Museum), but he's younger, more brash, and willing to get into trouble. He's also confident and cool, and there's one page near the end that perfectly marries the art and the writing to give us a bona fide Indiana Jones moment, one of those where John Williams' theme swells in the background. This is something I wouldn't mind seeing as, say, a serial or an animated ongoing. The art, by Ethen Beavers, is quite good as well, more emotive and detailed than I thought it would be from the previews. What makes the art work so well is that it takes the "animated" route, but you can see traces of Harrison Ford in Indy, you can recognize Marcus Brody, and when Belloq makes his appearance, you know exactly who it is. The detail work on the background and the caves evokes Hellboy, which isn't bad, considering that Hellboy was evocotave of Indiana Jones as well.

My only complaint about the book is that Indy's escape (or, should I say, "release") felt a little too easy, especially considering some of the sticky situations he gets himself into. Granted, there wasn't a lot of room left to play with, but the climax is a bit of a let down in that he just gets to walk away. I can't go any further, but you'll see what I mean. Any my other source of unease, and this is more as a parent than a critic, is that there's a scene which is actually quite graphic for a comic marketed towards kids, but is perfect for the Indiana Jones story. It wasn't grisly, there's no actual blood or gore shown, but it's intense, and you know exactly what the violence entails. For me, I thought it made sense, but as a parent, it made me a little hesitant to show it to my five year old son. But this is a minor quibble, and boils down to what a parent is willing to show their child and what they are not.

That said, Indiana Jones Adventures, Vol. 2 will not be arriving soon enough, especially since it's nowhere in sight yet. Here's hoping that next week's Indiana Jones and the Tomb of the Gods will be of the same quality, and whet our thirsts for more.

Score: 8/10
Dust McAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:40 PM   #59
OhioJones
IndyFan

I got a message from amazon today saying it's delayed:

Philip Gelatt (Author), Rick Lacy (Author) "Indiana Jones
Adventures Volume 1" [Paperback]
Estimated arrival date: 07/21/2008 - 07/23/2008

But you guys got yours?
OhioJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:53 PM   #60
foreignerfred
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJones
I got a message from amazon today saying it's delayed:

Philip Gelatt (Author), Rick Lacy (Author) "Indiana Jones
Adventures Volume 1" [Paperback]
Estimated arrival date: 07/21/2008 - 07/23/2008

But you guys got yours?

I got mine at my local comic shop.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #61
CasualJeff
IndyFan

Thanks for the reviews, guys. I had planned on skipping this one...but for some reason got a little more excited once I read that interview with the writer. I think I will actually like this one more than the other Dark Horse Indy comics.
CasualJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #62
Stoo
IndyFan

Just got it today. Boy, is it ever tiny! I was expecting a full-size comic book but it's more like a paperback.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:14 PM   #63
yodazone
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust McAlan
That said, Indiana Jones Adventures, Vol. 2 will not be arriving soon enough, especially since it's nowhere in sight yet. Here's hoping that next week's Indiana Jones and the Tomb of the Gods will be of the same quality, and whet our thirsts for more.

Score: 8/10

I just heard that comic writer, Mark Evanier (Groo, DNAgents, Blackhawk) is going to be writing some "Indy" stories for Volume 2 of the series. Trying to find out when it's going to be solicited.

I love how these books are 80 pages long.

"Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures" had the same "trade" format for 10 issues and was recently nominated for an Eisner Award!

yodazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:50 PM   #64
CasualJeff
IndyFan

Mark Evanier will always be the Garfield guy to me. That's awesome to hear that he's working on Indy Adventures. I can't wait to see what kinds of stories he comes up with.
CasualJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:59 AM   #65
Avilos
IndyFan

Mark Evanier has his own Blog http://newsfromme.com/ which I read all the time. If you e-mail he would probably be willing to answer questions on his upcoming Indiana Jones stories.
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #66
bennihana123
IndyFan

Have any of you who have it get it from Barnes and Noble? The closest comic shop to my house is 30 minutes away and Barnes and Noble says it doesn't come out until September... And I want it now!
bennihana123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #67
EddyW
IndyFan

I just finished reading this, and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised! For just the 6.95 it's a pretty good read, the art is good and the story has a nice Indy feel to it. I recommend this if you are hungry for some new Indy stuff.

Btw, did you guys see the Dark Horse desktops at the DH site? I came across them by accident while looking for the preview pages for the adventures book : http://www.darkhorse.com/downloads.p...dltype=desktop
EddyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #68
bennihana123
IndyFan

I just got it last night. Overall it is very good, probably one of my favorite comic stories. A tad more action and it would have been perfect. 9/10
bennihana123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:18 AM   #69
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
I got it today and loved it! Story was great, best comic art for Indy out of the whole lot too! I'm so glad to see a well done drawing of Brody. Belloq looked awesome in cartoon character form. I could easily imagine an animated series with this style!
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #70
YouNeverKnow
IndyFan

I loved this adventure! Easily my favorite of the comic series. Indy was young, eager, and egotistical and the find was far more archaeological than paranormal. It felt like the kind of adventure Indy would have in 1930. And the whole Marrakesh part felt so Indy. Nicely done. I look forward to more of these!
YouNeverKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:03 AM   #71
Avilos
IndyFan

How has everyone found this? My comic book shop is very small. Tends to foucs on Gaming more than comics. I all but certain they will not have it. I firguring I will need to order it from Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow
the find was far more archaeological than paranormal.

This sounds great!!! After reading the Dark Horse Omnibuses I feel like FAR TOO
OFTEN writers feel Indy's adventures must have supernatural elements. I think the movies should be his rare encounters with the paranormal. Also I felt like the older DH comics fell into an all to predictable pattern.
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #72
JimmyPSHayes
IndyFan

[quote=Avilos]How has everyone found this? My comic book shop is very small. Tends to foucs on Gaming more than comics. I all but certain they will not have it. I firguring I will need to order it from Amazon.
[quote] As long as your comic store has an account with Diamond, they can order it. Just ask!
JimmyPSHayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #73
OhioJones
IndyFan

My copy just shipped from Amazon!!
OhioJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:52 PM   #74
Pan Rado
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow
I loved this adventure!

It was quite good, wasn't it? Surprisingly so, if I say so myself. The only problem I had with it is that there was almost no third act.

Marrakesh sequence was fantastic, but hardly epic enough for a conclusion, and the ending proper was done away in, what, two pages? Three? It came too soon.

But other than that, it was very high-quality. Thumbs up!
Pan Rado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #75
HellofaSandwich
IndyFan

Yeah, this was a great little volume. I was expecting something "childish", but the tone and dialogue are very much in-line with the rest of Indy's comic book adventures, if not stronger. I'm hoping they release many more volumes of these in the months/years to come.
HellofaSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote