TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #51
metalinvader
IndyFan
 
metalinvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orellana's Cradle
Posts: 2,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo

Gail? Who dat? Please refresh/enlighten me.


I think he mans Gale as in Gale Parker from the two Caidin novels.
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #52
Goonie
IndyFan
 
Goonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
George Lucas said that Indy never married Deidre.

I'm in the middle of reading Seven Veils, so a simple explanation may be that they had a ceremony on that ship in Rio, but they never signed any papers, thus not legally married.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:24 PM   #53
|ZiR|
IndyFan
 
|ZiR|'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Mexico / NYC
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
From Henry Sr.'s point of view, he probably never knew about Indy's marriage to Dierdre at all.
'Twas brief & tragic. Considering father & son were never too close, it's a good bet Indy never
revealed that part of his past.

I agree, yes.

Quote:
You should get the "Complete Making of..." It's an excellent book!

I plan on it! I don't have much so far of the "behind the scenes" Indy material.

Quote:
Which is why I like to imagine that Sophia begat Old Indy's daughter. For more on Indy's redheads:
Indy's daughter in TV series?

I forget, was she retconned along with old Indy?

Quote:
Ha ha. I was going to say something similar but held back. A few of my friends have married redheads
and while I wouldn't say "nerdy" there does seem to be a "type" who fall for them.

Mm-hmm. I do believe Luke Skywalker even ends up with a redhead who meets a similarly tragic fate in the extended universe books. Han Solo had a firehaired companion before the trilogy who died too, IIRC.

Anyway, something DIrishB said sparked my interest: what about the German IJ books? Do we know who his female partners were in those and what color hair they had? Did he even have romantic interests in those novels?
|ZiR| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:52 PM   #54
DIrishB
IndyFan
 
DIrishB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien
Sophia Hapgood. A redhead.

Good point. I'm going to have to start a talley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
From Henry Sr.'s point of view, he probably never knew about Indy's marriage to Dierdre at all.
'Twas brief & tragic. Considering father & son were never too close, it's a good bet Indy never
revealed that part of his past.

Thats a completely viable explanation.

Quote:
Gail? Who dat? Please refresh/enlighten me.

Gail Parker...she was the female sidekick and potential love interest for Indy in Martin Caidin's (terrible) two Indy books (Sky Pirates and White Witch). She was a pilot, into Witchcraft/Wicca, your usual fiery redhead. Not much else to her besides that.

Quote:
More redheads:
Professor Karen Mays (Marvel 4-5, Gateway to Infinity & The Harbingers)
Miss Jessie Hale (Marvel 25 & 29, Good as Gold & Shot by Both Sides)

Nice mentions. I guess eventually, Indy'll even get some from a gray haired female (assuming Marion went gray post Crystal Skull). Of course, Indy didn't live long enough to see Viagra.

Quote:
Un-named daughter, Spike’s mother (Old Indy)

I just assume its Marion given the ending of Crystal Skull, but it is entirely possible Indy and Marion divorce later on, or Marion dies and Indy remarries, or Indy just knocked up some random red-headed broad post-Marion.

But I personally prefer to think of Spike's mom as Marion.
DIrishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #55
Violet
Moderator Emeritus
 
Violet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Posts: 3,198
Did anyone happen to notice in the wedding scene that Marion's hair looked slightly redder? I'm serious. I thought I was crazy the first time, but then I watched it a second time (and yes, a couple of times on Youtube before it was pulled off) and it appears Marion's hair got redder. I can't prove it right now with a screen shot, but even in general Marion's hair in CS, had a shade of red pigment in it, more than usual as her hair is pretty much dark brown/almost black in Raiders.

I sat there thinking maybe she dyed it in the 50s or maybe in different weather conditions such as more sun, etc has changed her hair colour (the sun does that to me, it makes my hair lighter in the summer and darker in the winter).
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #56
Indy~Annie
IndyFan
 
Indy~Annie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indy land...where im happy.:P
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyt
This is embarrasing but I did not know Indy had a wife. What does the comics/books say about her? And how did Indys mom die? thanks guys

not as embarrassing as me not knowing Indy had a sister named Suzie but died. i should of known that!!!
Indy~Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #57
Indy~Annie
IndyFan
 
Indy~Annie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Indy land...where im happy.:P
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Indy
Did anyone happen to notice in the wedding scene that Marion's hair looked slightly redder? I'm serious. I thought I was crazy the first time, but then I watched it a second time (and yes, a couple of times on Youtube before it was pulled off) and it appears Marion's hair got redder. I can't prove it right now with a screen shot, but even in general Marion's hair in CS, had a shade of red pigment in it, more than usual as her hair is pretty much dark brown/almost black in Raiders.

I sat there thinking maybe she dyed it in the 50s or maybe in different weather conditions such as more sun, etc has changed her hair colour (the sun does that to me, it makes my hair lighter in the summer and darker in the winter).

hey yeah! i noticed that too.maybe it was the lighting?
Indy~Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #58
Sankara
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 904
Watch the movies and you know that was nevery married to Deidre...

These lousy booky are "Expanded Universe". They've got nothing to do with the movies...
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #59
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan
 
Jeremiah Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London
Posts: 370
We know do we? Hows that?
Jeremiah Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #60
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 7,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalinvader
I think he mans Gale as in Gale Parker from the two Caidin novels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIrishB
Gail Parker...she was the female sidekick and potential love interest for Indy in Martin Caidin's (terrible) two Indy books (Sky Pirates and White Witch). She was a pilot, into Witchcraft/Wicca, your usual fiery redhead. Not much else to her besides that.
Thanks, guys. Had 'em all for years & years but haven't read those yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIrishB
But I personally prefer to think of Spike's mom as Marion.
Noooo...the un-named, redhead daughter is definitely Spike's mom. I figured that out here. Post #48:
Indy's daughter in TV series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by |ZiR|
I forget, was she retconned along with old Indy?
Gad, I hate that word but, yes, she was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |ZiR|
Anyway, something DIrishB said sparked my interest: what about the German IJ books? Do we know who his female partners were in those and what color hair they had? Did he even have romantic interests in those novels?
Good question. Anyone know? Flannery10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
Watch the movies and you know that was nevery married to Deidre...

These lousy booky are "Expanded Universe". They've got nothing to do with the movies...
Nothing except the main character! Anyway, this is a thread entitled "Dierdre Campbell" in the Indy Literature section. It's not about the movies.
Anyway, if you're holding this quote from Lucas to debunk the CANON status of the books, keep in mind that in the same paragraph Lucas talks about
events from Young Indy which you consider NON-CANON (but let's not go down that road again).
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #61
DIrishB
IndyFan
 
DIrishB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
Watch the movies and you know that was nevery married to Deidre...

These lousy booky are "Expanded Universe". They've got nothing to do with the movies...

Which is fine, if you only accept the movies as canon. I accept almost everything Indy as canon (the Star Wars expanded universe approach). To each their own.

But for those of us who consider the novels canon, yes, Indy was married or a very short time to Deirdre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIrishB
But I personally prefer to think of Spike's mom as Marion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Noooo...the un-named, redhead daughter is definitely Spike's mom. I figured that out here. Post #48:
Indy's daughter in TV series?

Whoops! I meant to say Spike's mom's mom.

Or on a simpler note, Spike's grandmother.

Quote:
Nothing except the main character! Anyway, this is a thread entitled "Dierdre Campbell" in the Indy Literature section. It's not about the movies.
Anyway, if you're holding this quote from Lucas to debunk the CANON status of the books, keep in mind that in the same paragraph Lucas talks about
events from Young Indy which you consider NON-CANON (but let's not go down that road again).

That says it all right there.
DIrishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #62
Luke Skywalker
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 143
Marion...cannot or should not have another baby post KOTCS.

THe daughter of Indy could be from another woman. Afterall he already had an unkown son, and with all the women he has met, the probabilities of another is high...
Luke Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #63
DIrishB
IndyFan
 
DIrishB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker
Marion...cannot or should not have another baby post KOTCS.

THe daughter of Indy could be from another woman. Afterall he already had an unkown son, and with all the women he has met, the probabilities of another is high...

True. I guess I'm on the fence about that. It all depends on whether the Old Indy bookends are considered canonical or not.
DIrishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #64
Sankara
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 904
Fact is: GL said that Indy NEVER was married before "KOTCS"...
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:01 AM   #65
DIrishB
IndyFan
 
DIrishB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
Fact is: GL said that Indy NEVER was married before "KOTCS"...

No, he didn't. We had this conversation already, and Stoo explained it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
This is being taken out of context. The quote is Lucas talking about *Indy's life after WW2 ended* and the events since Crusade
"some 18 years ago". Apparently, Henry Sr. wanted grandchildren which Junior failed to produce.

If you don't consider the expanded universe stuff canon, thats fine. Others do. Its up to personal preference, and unless something is said in one of the movies about it (which it never has been explicitly stated one way or the other), I don't care what Lucas says behind the scenes or in some book or whatever.
DIrishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #66
Sankara
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 904
No, this is only what you WANT to read.

GL said that Indy NEVER was married before "KOTCS"...
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #67
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan
 
Jeremiah Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London
Posts: 370
And for the obvious rebuttal:
And thats the way you WANT to read it Sankara.
Different opinions can exist you know. Shocking but true.

And don't start on that whole Lucas's opinion is the only opinion stuff, we all know what way you argued about young indy prior to KOTCS
Jeremiah Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:19 PM   #68
DIrishB
IndyFan
 
DIrishB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
Sankara No, this is only what you WANT to read.

GL said that Indy NEVER was married before "KOTCS"...

OUT OF CONTEXT.

On this one, I'm with Stoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Jones
And for the obvious rebuttal:
And thats the way you WANT to read it Sankara.
Different opinions can exist you know. Shocking but true.

And don't start on that whole Lucas's opinion is the only opinion stuff, we all know what way you argued about young indy prior to KOTCS

Especially since Lucas' opinion of his own work seems to change every ten years or so. I expect we'll see a new re-edited version of the Indy quadrilogy and Young Indy show in another ten years or so.

DIrishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:03 AM   #69
Sankara
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 904
Actually I DON'T care about GL's opinion. But many of you guys do. I just want you to know that GL said Indy NEVER was married before "KOTCS"...
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:58 AM   #70
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan
 
Jeremiah Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London
Posts: 370
And has been stated and restated above, your comment was taken out of Context..
Jeremiah Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:06 AM   #71
Sankara
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 904
No, it is not.
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #72
DIrishB
IndyFan
 
DIrishB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
Actually I DON'T care about GL's opinion. But many of you guys do. I just want you to know that GL said Indy NEVER was married before "KOTCS"...

I don't think many people care much about Lucas' opinion, at least post SW Prequel Trilogy and Crystal Skull.

As for the comment by Lucas himself, can you post THE ENTIRE comment by him concerning the marriage thing, so we can determine once and for all if it was or wasn't taken out of context?

The whole yes/no argument is childish and is getting us nowhere.
DIrishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #73
Lao_Che
IndyFan
 
Lao_Che's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIrishB
I don't think many people care much about Lucas' opinion, at least post SW Prequel Trilogy and Crystal Skull.

As for the comment by Lucas himself, can you post THE ENTIRE comment by him concerning the marriage thing, so we can determine once and for all if it was or wasn't taken out of context?

The whole yes/no argument is childish and is getting us nowhere.

George Lucas sez:
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lucas
"Indy ended up a secret agent because he'd had all this experience in World War I in the Beligian army and as a spy; he was older, so he couldn't really fight," George Lucas says. "Afterward he got out of that, teaching and getting artifacts and selling them. So in terms of his personal life, he hasn't really done that much. He never got married, and his father gives him a really hard time about it-there are scripts where all this came out. His father wanted to have grandchildren, and he worries that Indy's not happy. Then his father dies, and Indy goes along in his rut."

That can be taken both ways by the look of it. Still, he didn't say no when the book was written anyway. (Though McCoy did in Secret of the Sphinx )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker
Marion...cannot or should not have another baby post KOTCS.

THe daughter of Indy could be from another woman. Afterall he already had an unkown son, and with all the women he has met, the probabilities of another is high...

Why shouldn't she have had a second child?
Lao_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #74
Junior Jones
IndyFan
 
Junior Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Michigan
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
Actually I DON'T care about GL's opinion. But many of you guys do. I just want you to know that GL said Indy NEVER was married before "KOTCS"...

If you really "just want [us] to know", then you've succeeded. We have been informed. Thanks.

Though it seems more like you "just want to" convince us all that we're wrong, and that the EU is crap, and that only the four (three?) movies are worthwhile. If that's the case, you might as well give up because many of us (myself included) have blinded ourselves to the fact that our enjoyment of the EU is all just a big, pointless waste of time and energy. Perhaps you should just sit back, secure in your superior knowledge of Dr. Jones, and allow us the misguided pleasure of desperately clinging to our beliefs that Indy was married and has worked at more that one college. It makes us happy, and we're only hurting ourselves.

Junior Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #75
DIrishB
IndyFan
 
DIrishB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao_Che
That can be taken both ways by the look of it. Still, he didn't say no when the book was written anyway. (Though McCoy did in Secret of the Sphinx )

Thanks, Lao_Che. You're right, though. It does lean towards Lucas meaning Indy was never married, but as you said, he (or someone at Lucasfilm) did approve of the Indy/Deirdre marriage when the book was released.

As for Secret of the Sphinx...haven't gotten there yet. Just finishing up Philosopher's Stone.

And again, its up to personal preference. Some only consider the movies canon (some only Raiders canon, disavowing the sequels/prequel), whereas others like myself consider ALL the Expanded Universe material canon.

There's no point in arguing what is or isn't canon when it comes to Indy. Just include what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Jones
If you really "just want [us] to know", then you've succeeded. We have been informed. Thanks.

Though it seems more like you "just want to" convince us all that we're wrong, and that the EU is crap, and that only the four (three?) movies are worthwhile. If that's the case, you might as well give up because many of us (myself included) have blinded ourselves to the fact that our enjoyment of the EU is all just a big, pointless waste of time and energy. Perhaps you should just sit back, secure in your superior knowledge of Dr. Jones, and allow us the misguided pleasure of desperately clinging to our beliefs that Indy was married and has worked at more that one college. It makes us happy, and we're only hurting ourselves.


I agree, though I think Sankara means well. Like I said, its a personal preference thing. There's about as much point to arguing that fact as there is religion, politics, or sex.
DIrishB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.