Future "Expanded Universe" Novels?

DIrishB

Michael24 said:
Isn't Rob MacGregor working on a series of new books? I thought I read that somewhere.

EDIT: Yup, found it here. He's got something coming out in early-2009. :)

Violet Indy said:
He's working on one book which happens to be the tie-in apparently to the new Indy game they keep putting off releasing. At least, that's what I read in a thread somewhere here.

Was it ever actually confimed that MacGregor's new Indy novel would just be an adaptation of the game? Or possibly a prequel type novel set before the game...though thats probably less likely than just an adaptation of the game.

I'd prefer an original novel, since we'll get the story from the game in the actual game itself (I always found novelizations of movies and games rather redundant). Anyone else heard any new details on this? I've been looking around the web but haven't seen anything new, just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

...I'm such a man-whore for new Indy product news. :eek:

HovitosKing

DIrishB said:
Was it ever actually confimed that MacGregor's new Indy novel would just be an adaptation of the game? Or possibly a prequel type novel set before the game...though thats probably less likely than just an adaptation of the game.

I'd prefer an original novel, since we'll get the story from the game in the actual game itself (I always found novelizations of movies and games rather redundant). Anyone else heard any new details on this? I've been looking around the web but haven't seen anything new, just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

...I'm such a man-whore for new Indy product news. :eek:

Well, his site says, "Look for a totally new Indy adventure in early '09"

I'd assume that means something completely original, but who knows.

DIrishB

HovitosKing said:
Well, his site says, "Look for a totally new Indy adventure in early '09"

I'd assume that means something completely original, but who knows.

Yeah, I've been to his site and even emailed (his reply was that he couldn't tell me much more than it'd be out in '09). I hope its an original adventure, but the "totally new" thing could merely be in reference to the fact that it'll be new...not necessarily completely original (if its an adaptation of the game).

Eh, no matter. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope it'll be an original tale...I always preferred MacGregor's novels, though I still haven't read McCoy's. Caidin's two novels were terrible.

Crack that whip

I do hope it's an original novel, though I don't know that it will be. I enjoyed MacGregor's original Indy novels of the '90s substantially more than his adaptation of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (though it's been a long time since I read any of them, I must admit, and my response might differ now).

DIrishB, you may wish to try McCoy's novels. From what I've seen here (which mirrors my own personal opinion), the Caidin novels are the clear nadir of the novel series, and the McCoy books are a step back up in quality, arguably to a level comparable to the MacGregors - some might say better, some might say not quite, but as far as I can tell most fans generally agree they're a lot closer to the MacGregors than to the Caidins (and hey, there must be some reason why Caidin got to do just two but McCoy got to do four...).

Tennessee Smith

If the novel is related to the game it could be a great read. I remember when Star Wars had the Shadows of the Empire novel in conjuction with the new game for the systems at the time, and it was one of the best stories put out in paperback, IMO. It also helped push out a new wave of Star Wars novels, which we're still seeing the offspring off (the Thrawn trilogy not withstanding- it was it's own beast).

So, hopefully Lucas is seeing this (if its related to the game) as a launching point for the rejuvination of the Indy books, since the original Indy run wasn't that well recieved (it only came in paperbacks and wasn't a best seller).

DIrishB

Crack that whip said:
I do hope it's an original novel, though I don't know that it will be. I enjoyed MacGregor's original Indy novels of the '90s substantially more than his adaptation of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (though it's been a long time since I read any of them, I must admit, and my response might differ now).

DIrishB, you may wish to try McCoy's novels. From what I've seen here (which mirrors my own personal opinion), the Caidin novels are the clear nadir of the novel series, and the McCoy books are a step back up in quality, arguably to a level comparable to the MacGregors - some might say better, some might say not quite, but as far as I can tell most fans generally agree they're a lot closer to the MacGregors than to the Caidins (and hey, there must be some reason why Caidin got to do just two but McCoy got to do four...).

Definitly. I'm finally almost done with White Witch, so I'm onto the McCoy novels afterwards.

Tennessee Smith said:
If the novel is related to the game it could be a great read. I remember when Star Wars had the Shadows of the Empire novel in conjuction with the new game for the systems at the time, and it was one of the best stories put out in paperback, IMO. It also helped push out a new wave of Star Wars novels, which we're still seeing the offspring off (the Thrawn trilogy not withstanding- it was it's own beast).

So, hopefully Lucas is seeing this (if its related to the game) as a launching point for the rejuvination of the Indy books, since the original Indy run wasn't that well recieved (it only came in paperbacks and wasn't a best seller).

I think a lot of them not selling well originally was Bantam's not advertising and making fans aware of their existence. Unless you happened upon them at a bookstore, you'd never know they were out (before the invention of the Internet, anyway). Not sure if much has changed with their re-release, but I know I bought them, because this time I learned they existed. ;)

DIrishB

Arab Swordsman said:
There isn't much info but Amazon has the new Rob MacGregor novel listed for 2009 release.

I'm looking forward to it. Just hope its an original story. But even if its an adaptation, I'll be checking it out.

JimmyPSHayes

Can't wait for the new book!!! Hopefully if that and the reprints sell well, we'll get some more "expanded universe" books. I say bring 'em on! (y)