General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Matt deMille

I have some insight into this. A few things . . .

1) Don't bother Spielberg. The ideas come from Lucas. Spielberg and Ford have to agree on the ideas, but it's Lucas who comes up with them. That's their arrangement. So, the real effort should be in getting a letter through to Lucas (and good luck -- I've tried).

2) If you *do* try to send a letter to Lucas or Lucasfilm, be sure to emphasize that it does not contain any suggestions of a story or plot in any way. For legal reasons they will return any such letter unopened.

3) If anyone is in the L.A. area, keep on the lookout for events where these guys (or their key players, such as Kathleen Kennedy) might appear. I am currently trying to get Kathleen's ear, and I attend what events I can, but I only have so many hours in the day.

4) If you do get Spielberg's ear, do indeed emphasize the "less CGI" preference. He and Lucas got into a fight on KOTCS over Spielberg wanting a set and Lucas wanting a greenscreen. Spielberg will back practical sets and effects. A preference for old-fashioned moviemaking might just endear you to him.

That's it for now. I'll see what I can turn up around this town.

lao che & sons

JP Jones said:
Well, I would not fear. LD didn't send back the autograph for 2 years. What excatly did you say?

It wasn't anything on Indy 5 if that's what you were thinking. Just one how I enjoyed his films etc.

Stoo

Matt deMille said:
1) Don't bother Spielberg. The ideas come from Lucas. Spielberg and Ford have to agree on the ideas, but it's Lucas who comes up with them. That's their arrangement. So, the real effort should be in getting a letter through to Lucas (and good luck -- I've tried).
How about this novel idea: Don't bother any of them...:rolleyes:
Matt deMille said:
2) If you *do* try to send a letter to Lucas or Lucasfilm, be sure to emphasize that it does not contain any suggestions of a story or plot in any way. For legal reasons they will return any such letter unopened.
Are you surprised?:rolleyes::p
Matt deMille said:
3) If anyone is in the L.A. area, keep on the lookout for events where these guys (or their key players, such as Kathleen Kennedy) might appear. I am currently trying to get Kathleen's ear, and I attend what events I can, but I only have so many hours in the day.
Now THAT is creepy. You're a stalker!:eek:
Matt deMille said:
4) If you do get Spielberg's ear, do indeed emphasize the "less CGI" preference. He and Lucas got into a fight on KOTCS over Spielberg wanting a set and Lucas wanting a greenscreen. Spielberg will back practical sets and effects. A preference for old-fashioned moviemaking might just endear you to him.
Bwa-ha!...You 'endear' yourself to the director and then what happens?:rolleyes:

Matt deMille

Stoo said:
How about this novel idea: Don't bother any of them...:rolleyes:
Are you surprised?:rolleyes::p
Now THAT is creepy. You're a stalker!:eek:
Bwa-ha!...You 'endear' yourself to the director and then what happens?:rolleyes:

Nah, it's not stalkeresque. Old movies play all the time in Hollywood, and the filmmakers commonly show up to do Q&A, sign autographs and things like that. It's actually pretty easy to meet people in the industry that way.

Centerfield

Bermuda Triangle storyline just doesn't cut it for me... too vague and non-corporeal if that makes any sense... would like to see Indy go after something more tangible (like an artifact) that is based in fact and legend, perhaps going back to a pseudo-religious theme... Arthurian legend, Alexander the Great, Napolean, etc... there is a wealth of possibilities

only way I see Bermuda Triangle idea work maybe is if it is tied into a Lost City of Atlantis kind of deal... not sure

maybe I'm not being imaginative enough, but back to the basics I say - the tone and the chase should evoke ROTLA and Last Crusade (TOD was adrenaline, but great)... forget KOTCS (except for the beginning portion of the flick up to the point where Indy and Mutt are caught by the Russians in the Peruvian cemetery - had a chance to make something special and drowned it in messy plotting, CGI and a poor script - if only Frank Darabont's screenplay was available and then maybe we would have known what could have been...)

Darth Vile

Centerfield said:
Bermuda Triangle storyline just doesn't cut it for me... too vague and non-corporeal if that makes any sense... would like to see Indy go after something more tangible (like an artifact) that is based in fact and legend, perhaps going back to a pseudo-religious theme... Arthurian legend, Alexander the Great, Napolean, etc... there is a wealth of possibilities

only way I see Bermuda Triangle idea work maybe is if it is tied into a Lost City of Atlantis kind of deal... not sure

maybe I'm not being imaginative enough, but back to the basics I say - the tone and the chase should evoke ROTLA and Last Crusade (TOD was adrenaline, but great)... forget KOTCS (except for the beginning portion of the flick up to the point where Indy and Mutt are caught by the Russians in the Peruvian cemetery - had a chance to make something special and drowned it in messy plotting, CGI and a poor script - if only Frank Darabont's screenplay was available and then maybe we would have known what could have been...)

I think the Bermuda Triangle has enough modern 'myth' around it to make it viable... and it's also undeniably interesting (as we all associate it with a modicum of 'mystery','terror' and 'death'). I think it would almost certainly be linked to Atlantis/advanced ancient civilisations/aliens.

Dr Bones

Did anyone read the Empire interview with Cameron, Spielberg and Zemeckis where they discuss the future of filming and the comment that Spielberg could make Indy films as long as Harrsion is alive using motion capture and CGI!?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Dr Bones said:
Did anyone read the Empire interview with Cameron, Spielberg and Zemeckis where they discuss the future of filming and the comment that Spielberg could make Indy films as long as Harrison is alive using motion capture and CGI!?

Jeez, really? Can we get a quote?

Dr.Jonesy

Dr Bones said:
Did anyone read the Empire interview with Cameron, Spielberg and Zemeckis where they discuss the future of filming and the comment that Spielberg could make Indy films as long as Harrsion is alive using motion capture and CGI!?

You know, uh, maybe I'll hold onto that letter I was gonna send...:sick:

Montana Smith

I would think Spielberg said that with his tongue firmly planted in his cheek.

Empire said:
The Future Of Movies

The Empire Rolodex came out this month as we called up Steven Spielberg, James Cameron and Robert Zemeckis to talk to us about the future of movies for an exclusive peek into what cinema has in store over the next few years. The three performance-capturing big-thinkers sat down with our Ian Freer to talk about 3D, slamming Meryl Streep and Andy Serkis scratching his butt. Possibly in retaliation, we also asked Andy Serkis, surely the world's leading performance-captured actor, his views on the cinema of the future…

http://www.empireonline.com/magazine/

Dr Bones

Attila the Professor said:
Jeez, really? Can we get a quote?

Sure

Lifted directly from the page.

Spielberg : "I just saw a little bit of Tron Legacy the other day at Digital Domain. I saw Jeff Bridges looking exactly like the Jeff Bridges we loved in Starman. They took 35years off him. He did all the performance, but Jeff Bridges in a huge swatch of that movie looks like he's in his thirties."

Zemeckis "I'd consider that to be liberating for an actor."

Cameron: "What do actors fear the most apart from SAG strikes? Getting old. I think that's going to open a whole new realm for atcors in terms of their intellectual property. Who they are or their character identities can continue indefinitley. With performance capture, Harrison could be making Indiana Jones films as long as Steven wants to make them. It's when you start trying to whistle up Bogart and Marilyn that it becomes a problem"

Perhaps they were just shooting the breeze, but Speilberg was obviously impressed with Tron and the whole article is about how CGI could be the future of movie making to enhance (not replace) living actors performances.

With Avatar and now Tin Tin...doesn't sound so tongue in cheek to me.

Dr.Jonesy

Dr Bones said:
Sure

Lifted directly from the page.

Spielberg : "I just saw a little bit of Tron Legacy the other day at Digital Domain. I saw Jeff Bridges looking exactly like the Jeff Bridges we loved in Starman. They took 35years off him. He did all the performance, but Jeff Bridges in a huge swatch of that movie looks like he's in his thirties."

Zemeckis "I'd consider that to be liberating for an actor."

Cameron: "What do actors fear the most apart from SAG strikes? Getting old. I think that's going to open a whole new realm for atcors in terms of their intellectual property. Who they are or their character identities can continue indefinitley. With performance capture, Harrison could be making Indiana Jones films as long as Steven wants to make them. It's when you start trying to whistle up Bogart and Marilyn that it becomes a problem"

Perhaps they were just shooting the breeze, but Speilberg was obviously impressed with Tron and the whole article is about how CGI could be the future of movie making to enhance (not replace) living actors performances.

With Avatar and now Tin Tin...doesn't sound so tongue in cheek to me.

I'd be a little more worried if Steven himself said that about Indiana Jones. I don't doubt that Steven was impressed by the technology, but it was Cameron who said it. And I'm not sure that Steven would go beyond 'considering' it.

Let's hope not.

JP Jones

Dr.Jonesy said:
I'd be a little more worried if Steven himself said that about Indiana Jones. I don't doubt that Steven was impressed by the technology, but it was Cameron who said it. And I'm not sure that Steven would go beyond 'considering' it.

Let's hope not.
You see, this is why we write letters to him saying the fans don't like cgi and Indiana Jones should never be overly-digitilized. We know that Steve is a man of the people. If the people don't want cgi there's a chance he won't want cgi.

Or at least I hope.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Marshall is talking Airbender in Europe, and Indy 5. Figure this out:
So are the employees of Indy mastermind George Lucas currently busy on a story of Indiana Jones 5 researching. Downer loudly Frank Marshall: "This train is right there not there." In particular, directors are neither Steven Spielberg still Actor Harrison Ford in the project officially involved.
Or babel fish, if you prefer...
Like that are the coworkers of “Indy” - Mastermind George Lucas up-to-date employs to investigate for story of “Indiana a Jones 5”. Drops of bitterness thereby according to franc marshal: “So correctly course is not there in it.” In particular neither producer Steven Spielberg nor leading actor Harrison Ford is officially involved in the project.

Last edited:

Dr.Jonesy

Moedred said:
Marshall is talking Airbender in Europe, and Indy 5. Figure this out:

Or babel fish, if you prefer...

Crap on a cracker...they need to make up their damn minds if they're gonna make this film or not. This news doesn't sound promising. I mean hell, Harrison may be dead by the time the next one rolls around. And they'll still make it, not with a CG Harrison, but his 80 year old body on puppet strings. You know, as an avoidance to that pesky CGI in favor of practical effects.

But in all seriousness, if they wait too long, Harrison's age may just make the decision for them.

Mungi

Calm down, guys! "Kino.de" is a very untrusty website. They usually mix old and new "news" and put things together in a wrong place just to make it look like good news. Sometimes they even use a wrong translation! They don't show any sources either. That's why I don't go to that website anymore. Trust me, this doesn't mean anything.

Centerfield

I already don't trust the idea that Lucas & Spielberg are working on a script -- if this means they are still looking to hire a writer, then fine -- but if those two try their own hand at an actual screenplay, then it's time to worry... with all due respect to Lucas and the wonder that was the original Star Wars, Lucas hasn't written a good script since American Graffiti.

And if they are still looking for a writer, then this is a long way's away which is another worry as already expressed here - Harrison Ford is too old and will look it soon. Now, having an elderly Indy on film is not necessarily a bad thing. BUT if the action is to dominate, how will it work - not to mention Ford's own limitations with age, but the look of an old man running around and getting into fist fights -- this leaves the door open for more Shia and please, no more Shia...

I think 2011 has to be the deadline for a new film... after that, it's still possible, but perhaps in a different light... if they need writers, there are plenty out there who know the Indy tradition and are real skilled... you could also turn to good crime writers like Price, Pelecanos, Lehane... or have Darabont take another crack... How about going back to Lawrence Kasdan... or John Sayles... or if they had the guts, let Joss Whedon have a go... that would be worthwhile...