Indiana Jones Pinewood Derby

In addition to our main car, we slapped together a second car for the family race and it's a simple Lego Indy running from the bolder.

We played with making the Last Crusade Motorcycle/Sidecar, (three wheels less friction!) and even the Tank...but a bit too ambitious for an almost nine year old.

These would have been more recognizable as Indiana Jones themed then the Dusenberg and maybe a bit more apt for kids then a nazi staff car.

Pics later...

Has anyone made/seen Indy themed Pinewood Derby vehicles?

Indy Scout 117

actually, no i havent. im a boy scout (if you didnt already know ;) ) and i still look back at my cub scout days and remember the pinewood derbys. that was my favorite part of cub scouting. but in all my years of doing that, i have not seen an Indy pinewood car....now its tempting to make one :p thanks for the idea!!! lol (y)

lao che & sons

That's pretty awesome. I remember in my cub scouting days my bro did a bat mobile pine wood derby car.

I sure someone would go crazy with it and do a tank or sidecar. But a REALLY cool one would be the raiders truck with an Indy figure being dragged with his whip. Now that wouldn't be too hard since it's blocky, and it would be very iconic(y)

Goodeknight

lao che & sons said:
But a REALLY cool one would be the raiders truck with an Indy figure being dragged with his whip.

Dragging Indy, you'd come in last place in the derby, but you'd be the envy of everyone there.

Sweet.

4993382767_f7ed1b4c69_z.jpg

Stoo

Oh my G_d! This brings back memories. Looks like the same plastic wheels they had in the '70s!:eek:

Speed efficiency be damned, it's still a fun design. Next year you can have Indy dragging behind the car (as lao che & sons suggested above)!:D

P.S. Montana, the wiki article fails to mention that the derby is also done in the Boys Scouts of Canada, too.

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Oh my G_d! This brings back memories. Looks like the same plastic wheels they had in the '70s!:eek:

They also remind me very much of the wheels on the German motorcycle and sidecar that Cherilea made for 1/6 Action Man/GI Joe - right down to the big metal rivet! Of course, that would make that a giant Lego Indy. ;)

Stoo said:
P.S. Montana, the wiki article fails to mention that the derby is also done in the Boys Scouts of Canada, too.

That's Wikis for you!

When I read "Pinewood" I first thought of Pinewood Studios.

Montana Smith said:
Neat car, Rocket. With a quick-release Indy and boulder it may even have a chance of winning. ;)
HA! One stipulation includes no moving weights...the transfer of energy that a rolling lead ball, (or mercury) provides is considered a cheat!

Actually if I we had begun it sooner than an hour left on the submission deadline, it might have stood a chance, Could have redistributed a lot of the weight!

It was quite popular though!

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
HA! One stipulation includes no moving weights...the transfer of energy that a rolling lead ball, (or mercury) provides is considered a cheat!

Indy wasn't known for fighting fair!

Rocket Surgeon said:
It was quite popular though!

That's good to hear!

Indy Scout 117

hahahaha i remember making pinewood derby cars when i was a Cub Scout!! i didnt make any Indy cars (i wasnt a fan back then) but i think that'd be something interesting to try...i might have to make one!!! lol (y)

Junior Jones

DiscoLad said:
I think 93% of everyone was a boy scout. :)

I would think it couldn't be higher than about 50% of everyone, since last I checked girls aren't allowed to be boy scouts. Maybe you meant 93% of boys.