National Treasure

Pale Horse

Staff member
Attila the Professor said:
Hmm...the all-seeing eye? Thanatos, doesn't there seem to be another connection to the Masons there?

Like you wouldn't believe....

It seems the Masons also created to world....:eek:

nah, I can't even pull that one off. ;)

I am excited to see this film however especially concerning the involvement of the Declaration of Independence.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
I am excited to see this film however especially concerning the involvement of the Declaration of Independence.

Agreed. It's incredibly far-fetched, but it is the Declaration, so it's worth looking into. Maybe Charles Thomson was even more radical than once thought...

S

skywlkrinc

Re: Oh no!

Renderking Fisk said:
It's a plot my the movie makers to get us to READ THE CONSTITUTION!
It wouldn't hurt any of us to read the Constitution once in a while, especially the people who are supposedly "protecting it" in Washington by trying to change it all the time.

Want to know the last time I read the Constitution? It's just a coincidence, but it was yesterday. For some reason I got the urge to compare the Constitution of the United States of America with the Constitution of the Confederate States of America, so I read them both just for kicks.

It helps to remember exactly what the creators of this country really wanted it to be, and then bums me out how this country has become.

Luke

Finn

Staff member
Actually, you couldn't hit more right. The flick <i>is</i> a heavily adapted version from Brown's novel <i>Angels and Demons</i>. It does not take place in Vatican, but for example, the dollar bill-theory is still there.

S

skywlkrinc

I have a high rez copy of the Declaration of Independence on my home computer. I can post a link to the location I obtained it from. It is an interesting read. It's also interesting to note that in that day and age many of the letter "s" in the text are replaced by the letter "f"

Luke

Attila the Professor

Staff member
skywlkrinc said:
I have a high rez copy of the Declaration of Independence on my home computer. I can post a link to the location I obtained it from. It is an interesting read. It's also interesting to note that in that day and age many of the letter "s" in the text are replaced by the letter "f"

Luke

Well, it's still an "s". That was just the old manner of writing it, similar to an "f".

Joe Brody

Attila the Professor said:
Well, it's still an "s". That was just the old manner of writing it, similar to an "f".

Does anyone know why? Sometimes on monuments, etc. I see "U's" done as "V" because I assume a "V" is easier to carve. Is there some similar logic behind the use of the "F's"?

Finn

Staff member
That U = V explanation is easy. The texts are often in Latin also, aren't they?

And even if they are not, they might be written with Latin versal alphabet to gain more impressive effect. The Latin versal alphabet was missing several letters that are found in the modern one, J, K, U, X, Y and Z.

The last three were easy to disregard, since there was no vocal diftong for them in Latin (yes, they were completely disregarded) and when written, J became I*, K became C and U became V. Story told.

<small>*Jehovah = Iehovah, anyone?</small>

And as Attila stated already, that F is actually still S. Minuscel S just looked like that back then.

Last edited:

Nate Christen

What other books did you have in mind? (I really enjoyed "Angels & Demons" and "The DaVinci Code," so I'm curious to know what other books are written in that style.)

-Nate

Nate Christen

That Funny "F"

While I cannot say with certainty, I believe that funny "f" is a throwback to the German language. German still frequently uses a special letter called the "esstset" (which looks like a funny "B") in place of a double-s, something that gives new German students fits.

-Nate

Finn

Staff member
Not actually. Simply, that funny S is simply a reminder of the Medieval minuscel alphabet.

It was a good notion towards the German however... they do have common roots, that double-S (ß) and the old minuscel S. The direction just is opposite, the German "ß" is a notion towards the old minuscel S, not the other way around.

(And we're not OT. As long as it's educating, it's called topic progression.)

Raffey

Some of the newer DVDs that have come out (especially in the last couple weeks) have a really good trailer of this movie. I think its the same as the online one but it really makes a difference when viewed on a big TV.

Opens Thanksgiving which is soon! :D