Soundtracks?

Stoo

Chuck McKnight said:
Just PM me again if you'd like it. ;)
Good going, Chuck!:hat: Will PM you again but will have to make room in my Inbox. (So, have you finished reading this entire monster thread yet?)
InexorableTash said:
That said: the music was, for the most part, composed for the broadcast episodes. I don't know if any new music was recorded for the bridging segments (it is a re-use in the cases I can think of). This leads me to think that the site should use the broadcast episodes as the primary breakdown, and include DVD chapters and time indexes as secondary.
This is a very hard call. To my ears, most of the bridging segments have re-used tracks but the extended beginnings of some episodes feature brand new music (ex. "Oganga"). Also, "Daredevils" is double the length of "Palestine" so it very likely contains some new music, too.

Since we do have some tracks from the bookends, your idea of using the broadcasts as primary makes sense but like you mentioned, would be near impossible to have a proper timing index.:(
InexorableTash said:
The desire would be a list of distinct compositional units, i.e. the composer sat down and wrote a score for one entry, even if it was broken up for broadcast with distinct bookends. I'm not sure we'll ever know that, unless we had production numbers. Also, I'm unsure of what ordering to use.
As for the order, the 4 non-U.S. episodes aired before the 4 Family Channel movies. Not sure about the order of when the new DVD episodes were made but this is a little bit more precise:

Paris, May 1919
Florence, May 1908
Prague, August 1917
"Daredevils of the Desert", Palestine, October 1917
Transylvania,January 1918
"The Hollywood Follies", Hollywood, August 1920
"Treasure of the Peacock's Eye", London/Egypt/South Pacific, November 1919
"Attack of the Hawkmen", Ravenelle/Ahlhorn Germany, 1917
"Travels with Father", Russia/Athens 1910
Morocco 1917
Princeton 1919
Tangiers 1908

Stoo

Minor new discovery:

The lullaby that Anna Jones sings to Indy in Peking, 1910/Journey of Radiance is called, "All the Pretty Horses". Apparently, it's an American folk song from days of slavery. Obviously, Rosenthal built his instrumentation around it but thought it was worth pointing out. (Updated the spreadsheet.)

AnnieJones

Thank you Chuck McKnight,InexorableTash,and Stoo for these great discoveries!(y)

Stoo,was this the song she was singing?
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tIt3RsXgYDc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tIt3RsXgYDc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Stoo

AnnieJones said:
Oh,ok.Then they're legal.I'm such an idiot.I apologize to Inexorable Tash and to MDew.
Just to clarify: They are fan-made websites and Volume 5 is NOT a legit release.:eek:
AnnieJones said:
Stoo,was this the song she was singing?
That's the one, Annie. She sings the 1st verse (up until 0:37 in your video).

MDew

Interview with Joel McNeely

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I ran across an interview with Joel McNeely that discusses his film scoring career. About 1/3 the way down he goes into detail about the history of his involvement with Young Indy & about the recording process for it. Pretty interesting stuff.
http://www.bsospirit.com/entrevistas/joelmcneely_e.php

Stoo

Nice find, MDew!(y) You can be sure that when InexorableTash gets back from Hawaii, he's going to appreciate it as well...

MDew

Not bad, I'd keep an eye on ebay too - that's where I got mine many years ago. I think I paid between $14-20 each. (y)

Willie

I've got the soundtrack from Raiders of The Lost Ark on cassette tape, I'm transferring it over to DVD. :)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Willie said:
I've got the soundtrack from Raiders of The Lost Ark on cassette tape, I'm transferring it over to DVD. :)

Welcome to the forum, but it might be a good idea to notice which section of it you're posting in.

MDew

So at a complete loss of where else to turn on getting these soundtracks released, the letter writing campaign has begun! Not knowing where to start, I went straight to the top: Lucasfilm! I figure going out to the composers, etc. won't do much good as Lucasfilm are the ones who have the music and own the rights to release it.

I began by telling them that this is not-your-average TV soundtrack music (enough to earn multiple Emmys) and there is a strong desire for it to be released in a more complete form. Only a small fraction of show's total music was represented in the CDs, and with the advent of digital downloads now it would cost them next-to-nothing to release it that way & see that those that want it can finally get it.

Lo and behold, what shows up a couple days later?
lettersmall.jpg

Granted, it's not from the Bearded One himself - but hey at least they took the time to acknowledge it (more than I can say for the hundreds of resumes I've sent out to employers).

lucasfilmlettersmall.jpg

For those of you out there that are tired of waiting, having them receive a bunch of requests probably won't do any harm...Plus you get a nifty souvenir to hang on your wall ;)

If you wish to do the same (c'mon guys, join the bandwagon!), here's the address:

Lucasfilm Ltd.
PO Box 29901
San Francisco, CA 94129​

InexorableTash

MDew said:
I don't know if this has been posted before, but I ran across an interview with Joel McNeely that discusses his film scoring career. About 1/3 the way down he goes into detail about the history of his involvement with Young Indy & about the recording process for it. Pretty interesting stuff.
http://www.bsospirit.com/entrevistas/joelmcneely_e.php

Awesome! I'll link to this from www.youngindianajonesmusic.com when I get a chance. (Next week, possibly.)

MDew said:
So at a complete loss of where else to turn on getting these soundtracks released, the letter writing campaign has begun! Not knowing where to start, I went straight to the top: Lucasfilm! I figure going out to the composers, etc. won't do much good as Lucasfilm are the ones who have the music and own the rights to release it.

Nice! Definitely on my to-do list as well. I plan to specifically ask for specific, actionable items - (1) releasing the Vol 1-4 OSTs on iTunes, (2) releasing the "Attack of the Hawkmen" and/or "Curse of the Jackal" scores on iTunes as a trial for interest and to the gauge costs.

On that note - apart from "Curse..." (which has been requested very often), what would your top unreleased YIJC scores be? I guess mine would be Hawkmen, Daredevils, Peacock and Trenches - but this is biased by having tastes from the LEGO games. What are yours?

MDew

My top votes would be similar to yours:
Curse of the Jackal, more Princeton 1916, Hollywood Follies, Peacock's Eye, Hawkmen & Travels With Father.

My question is, if the music already exists in a recorded state (which there seems to be evidence of) is there really that much of an expense on their part, just to release it via iTunes? C'mon they've got nothing to lose, right? (y)

Stoo

MDew said:
Lo and behold, what shows up a couple days later?
Nice going, MountainDew, and thanks for posting! I'll join your bandwagon.;) My TOP pick would be "Hawkmen" without a doubt. The piece Tash labeled as, "Truck Fight and Biplane Escape", is probably my favourite piece out of the whole series. My other choices are pretty much the same as what you guys would want, "Daredevils", "Trenches", "Jackal" and "Travels With Father".

re: iTunes.
On page 6, post 87 of the thread: Unfilmed episodes of Young Indy, Laird said he found the end credits for "Trenches of Hell" available. Maybe there's more?:confused:
lairdo said:
(Ha ha, YI Music just came up as I type this in iTunes DJ - End Credits for Trenches. Synergistic!)
Mentioning, "Travels" reminds me that I still need to make an mp3 of the rare music from the broadcast opening bookend. It's good! Maybe I'll do that this weekend...

dameain

Another piece of music that should be on any future compilations is the "Indian Style" music that was heard in the Mata Hari episode. I have been trying to track down the name of that piece for years, without success.

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
On page 6, post 87 of the thread: Unfilmed episodes of Young Indy, Laird said he found the end credits for "Trenches of Hell" available. Maybe there's more?

I believe that Laird just meant that iTunes "DJ" feature ("play music from my library using some sort of theme heuristics based on global popularity") decided to play that track while he was typing.

That said, I just checked and Peking 1910 "An American Thanksgiving / A Chinese Adventure" is on iTunes ($0.99) as part of a "Varése Sarabande 25th Anniversary Celebration" album. In addition to the horrid synth-pop "100 TV Themes"-type recordings. *shudder*

(Rights, clearances, and overhead are the reasons I'm not holding my breath that Lucasfilm can just dump the tracks on iTunes. But we should still ask - nicely! And ask again every few years.)