Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Collecting Indy
User Name
Password

Old 03-05-2016, 03:25 AM   #1
Fett75
IndyFan

Sideshow Collectibles' Ark of the Covenant

Hello everyone!

I just signed up to these message boards and I'm a big fan of the original Star Wars and Indiana Jones trilogies (especially Raiders of the Lost Ark). I have been looking at some of the amazing collections some of you guys have here - very impressive!

My primary reason for signing up here is for my own search... for the Ark of the Covenant. More specifically, I have set myself the near-impossible task of trying to find the amazingly detailed version 23.5" Prop Replica that was created by Sideshow Collectibles.

I'm not a 'professional collector' or anything like that. I do have some particular chosen collectibles / items / toys / props from some of my favourite action and sci-fi films and I've always wanted my own 'Ark'.

I know that there are some variations on size and scale (there was one that came with the 'Toht' Hot Toys Figure, I think...?) But that's why I am here - I reckon there are probably a whole bunch of Indy-collectors who may be able to help me on my own little quest! I have gone through all the regular channels - ebay, amazon, independent online toy retailers etc. and so far... no joy

Anyway, perhaps some of you die-hard 'archaeologists' can help me out...? Maybe you have one that you want to sell (yeah.... right!), or you may have knowledge of a similar version out there that I don't know about....? (in reality, scale doesn't matter - so long as it IS the film version, officially licensed by Lucasfilm). Heck, I'll even go for that wee 'business card holder' that was released around the time of THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL's theatrical release.

I just hope to find a nice, smart-looking version of the Ark that I may put on display on my shelf (alongside my favourite bounty hunter).

Cheers!
Fett75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
ROB98374
IndyFan

I know how you feel, I spent a few years trying to find one. I actually had one pre-ordered, and then the day it was going to ship, I cancelled my order because it wasn't going to fit in my display case. Of course I regretted it, and after years of searching, I finally found one on eBay.
I just checked, and there is currently one on eBay. If you want one, now is the time!
ROB98374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #3
Billy Ray
IndyFan

Hasbro actually made a really nice 1/6 scale Ark. It's made of plastic, but has a much more brilliant shine to it than the Sideshow one (the 1/6 that came with Toht). Unfortunately, you had to send in proofs of purchase from their rather disappointing 12" figures to get one, but my mom managed to score one for me at a decent price.

Billy Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:10 PM   #4
Fett75
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB98374
I know how you feel, I spent a few years trying to find one. I actually had one pre-ordered, and then the day it was going to ship, I cancelled my order because it wasn't going to fit in my display case. Of course I regretted it, and after years of searching, I finally found one on eBay.
I just checked, and there is currently one on eBay. If you want one, now is the time!

I must have missed out on the ebay one too! Thanks anyway
Old 03-18-2016, 12:11 PM   #5
Fett75
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Ray
Hasbro actually made a really nice 1/6 scale Ark. It's made of plastic, but has a much more brilliant shine to it than the Sideshow one (the 1/6 that came with Toht). Unfortunately, you had to send in proofs of purchase from their rather disappointing 12" figures to get one, but my mom managed to score one for me at a decent price.

Wow! I didn't even know about this Hasbro version - I shall have to try and keep an eye out for it too - Thanks!
Old 04-17-2016, 01:37 AM   #6
superado
IndyFan

I have the Hasbro ark and what I love most about it is the finish. However, I don't like the molded rendition of the cloth wraps in the middle portion of the carrying poles, which the 1:6 Sideshow ark rendered correctly.

I also have the Sideshow ark, which is slightly larger and significantly heavier than the Hasbro Ark. What I like to do eventually is apply authentic gold leaf to give it a shiny finish over the painted factory finish.
superado is offline   Reply With Quote