The Reboot Awakens at Abner's Journal

Mickiana

I almost laughed out loud when in Abner's Journal, suggestions of actors to play certain characters were based on their resemblance to the character as already played by someone else. The funny part was when he suggested Michael Fassbender to play Forrestal.

DDW1

No lie, I originally had Paul Bettany playing Forrestal

gangster4.jpg

11Forrestal.jpg

Z dweller

DDW1 said:

gangster4.jpg

11Forrestal.jpg
Ha! Amazing likeness!

Joking apart, well done with Abner's Journal, Doug: very engaging and inventive. (y)

I am glad I discovered your blog and will definitely follow it from now on.

And thanks to Moedred for posting a link here at the Raven. :hat:

TheFedora

DDW1 said:

gangster4.jpg

11Forrestal.jpg

Well, I must say your site does look very professional. Its clear and precise and it covers a lot of different topics... Well done.

DDW1

Indiana Jones 5 Script

Hoping fans from the Raven Forum will read my spec script for Indy 5, entitled Indiana Jones and the Stone of Destiny. I need it reviewed for rewrites, right now it is running about 20-25 pages too long. A link to the script can be found here: http://www.abnersjournal.com/#!the-stone-of-destiny/c1yrw

65475f_193d2ce1ecac46249d31cd0cfdd32d4c.png_srz_p_670_237_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

All reviews can be sent to abnersjournal@gmail.com and a handful of them will be posted on a future installment of The Reboot Awakens that will focus on the screenwriting of the Indiana Jones films.

Lambonius

I'm not sure I buy the Mad Max and Indy comparisons. There are some good points there, but I think the key area where I disagree is in the idea that an Indiana Jones film should strive to BE an action movie. What made Raiders so great was not JUST the well-choreographed and realistically grounded action, but also the intelligence of the character of Indy, solving problems just as much with his wits as his fists/guns. Last Crusade struck a pretty good balance in this, too, but not as good as Raiders. Every time the Indy series has tried to push the action further, it's failed, in my opinion. Temple of Doom, as much as I love it, is often criticized exactly because it takes the action and camp much further than Raiders did. Crystal Skull does it to an even more absurd degree, and it's one of the main reasons why that film falls flat. There's not ENOUGH smart moments in Skull, and the action scenes are too frequent and drawn out, so the plot feels very thin as a result. A great Indy film cannot just be about over-the-top action sequences.

DDW1

Very true. The intelligence of the Indy character is one thing I should have included. But mainly the article was striving to say that there are basic elements that were introduced in Raiders that have seemed to gradually dissapear through out the rest of the movies and Disney should think hard about the "identity" of the series before continuing. But I totally agree that Indiana Jones shouldn't be about action. One of the best things about the series is it has the potential to include multiple genres. One film's plot could be one long chase, another film's plot could be a detective storyline. The beauty of the serial-style format is that it allows for this "change in structure" between each installment. It doesn't matter as long as you keep the root elements that make the film feel like an Indiana Jones film. That's why I always thought one more with Harrison Ford was possible. If done correctly, knowing it was Ford's last ride, could make for a beautiful, moving, epic adventure.