Camerawork

Ajax the Great

What are some of your favorite shots and camerawork in the Indy series?

I really like the scene in the Raven bar when Indy's fighting with the guy and Toht says "shoot them both." The guy he's struggling with shoots the guy with the machine gun, and you only see his shadow on the wall as he clutches his chest and falls down. Really pulpy. Then, in the same shot, the camera swings over and sees Toht trying to get the medallion. All in the same shot, which I think really captures the complexity of the action. It shows you that there's more than one thing going on, and it helps you follow it. Even though the focus is on one thing, the camera reminds you of the other action going on in the bar. They do the same thing. When Toht runs out they swing the camera to show him running out the door and as they do, you glimpse Indy in the background, still wrestling with the guy for the gun.

I also really like the closeup on Indy's eyes when he sees the marketplace full of baskets.

But I've always hated the shot when Belloq is talking to Indy in the Cairo bar. Indy's face is out of focus and fills up the frame, and it makes me feel really claustrophobic. And that's such a long take too.

Mickiana

The scene when Marion has said to come back tomorrow to get the medallion and he's about to go out the door and the lattice work of the door makes a small square of light that highlights his eye. She's saying with derision, "See you tomorrow, Indiana Jones." At that moment he looks unsure and hesitant, all the more so because he says nothing in return.

lao che & sons

I like the camera work in the beginning of raiders when we see a dolly shot of them walking through the jungle in a nice ws then the dolly continues until it runs into the dart stabbed into the tree. That is a great shot. (y)

Ajax the Great

Those are great. Speaking of lattice work, I like the shot of Indy in Cairo at the old man's house, right before the guy comes in and poisons the dates. It's really mysterious and brooding.

In ToD, I like the integration of scenery with dramatic technique. When Indy decides to free the kids and they push that mine cart up and the light flickers up and shows his face...I get chills.

I also like the way the camera sort of follows him as he's swinging down into the mine cart before the chase. It's really exhilarating.

Dr. Gonzo

Ajax the Great said:
But I've always hated the shot when Belloq is talking to Indy in the Cairo bar. Indy's face is out of focus and fills up the frame, and it makes me feel really claustrophobic. And that's such a long take too.

Really? I actually dig that shot because of the reasons you hate it.

When I think of Indiana Jones camera work I think of camera movement. There are quite a bit of "dolly in"s on Indy. Like that hero shot of Jones in Temple of Doom that was mentioned above, when he punches the two guards and the mine cart light shines on his face as we dolly in. Another one off the top of my head is at the end of Crusade when Donovan says to Jones "It's time to ask yourself what you believe." Henry Sr. has just been shot and we dolly in from a medium shot to Indy's face.

Probably not everyones opinion but, I think of camera movement.

Ajax the Great

I noticed that too Gonzo. Lots of dolly shots, and they helped add to the roller-coaster feel of the series. I really like the dolly on Mola Ram during the Willie sacrifice in ToD. I'm trying to think of other dolly shots...there's the one in CS when Marion is introduced.

EDIT: There's also a nice slower one in Raiders when Indy is mourning Marion's seeming death.

Goodeknight

One of my favorite shots has always been the first scene in Venice when Indy meets Ilsa. He walks past, camera following him, and then hears his name. I think that was dolly shot. The camera almost moves past him, but follows him back. Simple moment, but a great shot.

((Good thing this is a thread dedicated just to camerawork. There could be another thread dedicated to favorite "imagery." One of the top images that comes to mind for me is the shot of all the villagers crowding around Indy and Willie when they arrive at the village.))

Dr. Gonzo

Ajax the Great said:
I really like the dolly on Mola Ram during the Willie sacrifice in ToD.

If your talking about the one where it dolly's in on Ram and he turns into the camera then that's one of my favorites too, I just actually mimicked that shot in a promo film I did a couple weeks back.

Watching on the big screen always makes the camera movement more noticeable...the shift on Musgrove and Eaton is interesting, but the shot of Indy being dragged behind the truck from under the truck is pretty great!

Henry Jones VII

I must say there are many amazing shots for me, but one that I feel embodies the true essence of Indiana Jones is the one from Last Crusade when Indy is riding the horse and jumps for the tank to save Henry Sr.

badass :whip:

vic_tank_470_470x300.jpg

IndyForever

All of the first 3 movies have incredible cinematography.

Please spare a moment for the DP Douglas Slocombe. He is still ALIVE today & 99 years young sadly his eyesight failed several years ago but he will 100 on 10/02/13 & currently lives in a nursing home somewhere in southern england.

Indy 3 was his last movie he is one of the alltime great DP's & his resume is filled with some amazing films from the 1940s-1980s.

My personal favorite was the entire prologue to Indy3 stunning cinematography especially the Utah scenes & the 3 trials temple climax.