Oscars 2010

Chicago Jones

I love watching the Oscars even though alot of times I get disappointed. For example when Revolutionary Road didn't get a Nom for best screenplay or best picture....

I am defiantly not happy about the hosts, Steve "I was funny 20 million years ago" Martin and Alec "fat ass" Baldwin. But o well..

I cannot really say who will win but I believe

The Road will be nominated for best actor, adapted screenplay and perhaps best picture.

Also I hope The Cove will be nod for best Doc.

Viggo for best actor

The girl from Precious, Gabourey Sidibe should get a nom

and I hope Meryl Streep gets a nom for her performance as Julia Child

Best animated film I am hoping for Up but probably will go to Fantastic Mr. Fox. Bah.

what say you for other categories?

TheMutt92

W/ the Best Picture field expanding to ten films, hopefully a wider variety of film genre's will be represented (drama, comedy, adaptations, sci-fi, etc.). Not just for the sake of variety, but in good taste and honor.

My only disagreement w/ the expansion is that it there are now 10 best picture nominations and 10 best screenplay (both original and adapted), but still only 5 best director slots. Which means its possible the big winner could walk away not only w/o being awarded best director, but w/o even being nominated! Not that this is entirely wrong or anything, but the director is the main player when it comes to making these films what they are, and to not acknowledge them alongside their seems a bit insulting.

Joe Brody

Best Picture BS

Was The Hurt Locker really a Best Picture?

In a year of flawed films and flawed nominees, The Hurt Locker's win is not that much of a reach.

Without a doubt, the movie has clear strengths; I would've given Renner the nod over Bridges, the Jordanian locations delivered real authenticity, there's some intense sequences, and (not having seen any trailers and having come to the film cold) the switch in perspective in the beginning and the ending scene work together to make an effective film.

But there's no larger message or real insights into the conflict (which, as I've posted here before, I think is essential to any war movie). Arguably the film sends the wrong message. I wouldn't call the scant character interaction a plus -- I'd say it was just scant and not an exercise in minimalism. Some sequences were uneven or didn't work (the bounty-hunter sniper sequence, the night over the fence and the home front footage).

I didn't have any horse in the Best Picture race, I just don't think Hurt Locker is the 'be all' film that the critics have built up.

Any other Oscar gripes?

Last edited:
Joe Brody said:
Was The Hurt Locker really a Best Picture?

In a year of flawed films and flawed nominees, The Hurt Locker's win is not that much of a reach.

Without a doubt, the movie has clear strengths; I would've given Renner the nod over Bridges, the Jordanian locations delivered real authenticity, there's some intense sequences, and (not having seen any trailers and having come to the film cold) the switch in perspective in the beginning and the ending scene work together to make an effective film.

But there's no larger message or real insights into the conflict (which, as I've posted here before, I think is essential to any war movie). Arguably the film sends the wrong message. I wouldn't call the scant character interaction a plus -- I'd say it was just scant and not an exercise in minimalism. Some sequences were uneven or didn't work (the bounty-hunter sniper sequence, the night over the fence and the home front footage).

I didn't have any horse in the Best Picture race, I just don't think Hurt Locker is the 'be all' film that the critics have built up.

Any other Oscar gripes?

What do you want? This is the same institution that lauded Paul Haggis' Crash as best cinematic achievement of that particular year.

I put no stock in these awards. Silly exercises in vanity and little else.

caats

i love the oscars. Really fun even if i don't always agree with. I'm glad bridges got one, 5 nominations is enough.

YouNeverKnow

I have gripes. Realistically Inglourious Basterds was never going to win Best Picture. But Tarantino not getting an award for best original screenplay? Shenanigans.

TheMutt92

Overall I thought it was a good show, but both screenplay categories caught me off guard.

In the original category I thought there was no contest: Tarantino is simply a master. The Hurt Locker is a fantastic film, and I didn't mind it winning Best Picture (I would've preferred Inglourious Basterds, but...) but I think most of its power and emotion comes from the directing (justly awarded) and acting, not necessarily the writing. Basterds on the other hand is such a great film mostly because of the writing and how Tarantino is able to construct these monstrous twenty minute scenes around the characters talking.

The adapted screenplay also caught me off guard. All this time I thought (and other awards supported this) that Up In The Air would win. And yet the film that early on everyone thought would take home the gold... went 0 for 6.

Pale Horse

Staff member
TheMutt92 said:
... Basterds on the other hand is such a great film mostly because of the writing and how Tarantino is able to construct these monstrous twenty minute scenes around the characters talking.

And, in contructing the perfect Frederick Zoller Propoganda film, having the intended audience root for the systematic killing of the Nazi's, just as the Nazi's were rooting for the systematic killing of the Jew's...what a pardox, no?

Life imitates art, imitates life...repeat as necessary.

Interesting, though was the fact that all of the intended internal plots failed.

Pale Horse said:
And, in contructing the perfect Frederick Zoller Propoganda film, having the intended audience root for the systematic killing of the Nazi's, just as the Nazi's were rooting for the systematic killing of the Jew's...what a pardox, no?

...which was the point...