Smitty's Junk

Montana Smith

Nurhachi1991 said:
Tonight I brought Wermacht Swag to the club I had people buying me drinks and danced to dub step with some beautiful Fraulin's in my M44. #Wermachtswag

woo1.gif

Did you encounter any 'Resistance'?

2AlloAlloREX_468x333.jpg

;)

Nurhachi1991

Nope today's culture is too stupid to connect the jacket to the Wermacht. I partied mein butt off with the Frauleins

Montana Smith

Arctic Batman vs. Mr. Freeze: Aquaman on Ice (!):

000_0237.jpg

The Batman sets are ones I?m going to try to keep up with, as I missed them totally when Lego first produced this theme between 2006 and 2008. Those first sets now have highly inflated price tags, but I did pick up an Arkham Asylum on Ebay.

The Lego freebie was pretty cool, too. I have no idea what Chima is, but they look like Japanime animals:

000_0240.jpg

Montana Smith

It's been snowing here for hours. Too bad for the dustmen and recycling lorry to get here.

But not bad enough to prevent Fed-Ex from making an unexpected delivery.

Sideshow's Exclusive Bossk figure came into the country from the US yesterday evening. I wasn't expecting him until Monday.

The 'Exclusive' bit is his roaring headsculpt.

000_0242.jpg

000_0247.jpg

Montana Smith

Lego's theme based on the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon began in July 2012, kicking off with 6873 Spider-Man?s Doc Ock Ambush:

000_0248.jpg

Iron Fist, held captive in Doctor Octopus' lair is rescued by Spider-Man!

Not a very exciting set, but the figures are both the main attraction, and the main value. According to Ebay sales the three figures sold separately are worth more than the entire set bought currently at retail.
cuckoo1.gif

Montana Smith

The Lego exclusive 10937 Arkham Asylum Breakout!

I like this set a lot. Loads of detail, an almost studless ambulance with retro '30s/'40s styling, and a modular building that can be assembled two ways.

000_0258.jpg

000_0254.jpg

000_0257.jpg

000_0256.jpg

There's a lot more to this version than the previous 2006 release:

100_0583.jpg

100_0594.jpg

Though I still like that one, too. (It's my only 'vintage' Batman Lego set).

And the rest of the DC crew:

100_0696.jpg

000_0237.jpg

100_0590.jpg

Montana Smith

Got very lucky again today!

Bought a group of fifteen miscellaneous items for £12.

Among them were these two badges packed together in a ziplock bag:

A broken eagle which appears to be of the Kriegsmarine variety , i.e. German Navy:

000_0290.jpg

000_0291.jpg

A genuine mid to late war U-Boat badge in gilt zinc, from the maker Rudolf Karneth und Sohne of Gablonz:

000_0285.jpg

000_0286.jpg

000_0287.jpg

My badge is the same as the genuine example shown further down, past the fakes, on this page.

It would be just dandy to know for sure that the cap badge and award originally belonged to the same person.

There was a third item in that ziplock bag, but it may be a red herring: a Royal Army Service Corps enamelled tie pin with the King's crown. Were the items appropriated by a Tommy in the RASC? Doubt we'll ever know!

The "U" boat badge was instituted by the Commander in Chief of the Navy, Grand Admiral Raeder on 13th October 1939. The design of this badge follows an earlier award badge adopted at the end of the First World War. These awards all follow the same basic design of a wreath of gilded oak leaves encompassing a submarine.

The First World War types have the boats bow on the right side and the flag to the stern on the left. The Second World War types have their bow facing left, with a deck gun and a flag to the back of the conning tower. Above the imperial type is the crown, whereas above the Third Reich type is the national emblem of the eagle and swastika.

?

These badges were originally made of gilded brass or heavy tombak etc., but as the war dragged on later awards were made of fine zinc with a gilt wash that usually fades leaving the badge a gray color. At this point it is worth noting that on some badges the swastika was cut out. This was done on both early and late made badges. The badge was attached to the tunic by means of a pin, hinge and hook which was either soldered or cast into the badge when it was constructed, either horizontally or vertically and the pin could either be a round needle pin or a broad bladed pin.

It was to be worn on the left breast of all service and dress jackets, jumpers and shirts. Embroidered versions also exist in golden yellow
cotton/bullion thread on a blue woolen base cloth.

Award Criteria

The badge was earned by a minimum of two engagements or sorties against the enemy, waved if wounded at the discretion of the boat commander, and as such was and still is a highly regarded and sought after award. It therefore could not be awarded to any desk jockey (A complaint many a "Tommy" made about their awards i.e. The Burma Star, etc.).

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/war_badges/kriegsmarine/uboat_badge.htm

Montana Smith

The red herring...?

000_0299-1.jpg

Another curio from the fifteen:

000_0296-1.jpg

000_0297-1.jpg

A medal commemmorating the marriage of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert on 10th February 1840, in its original, if tatty, presentation case.

Montana Smith

"I'm alive. You talk too loud. Smelled you since you got here. If I can smell you, if I can hear you, they can, too. Storm coming soon. This way."

Hot Toys MMS163 Predators Ronald Noland:

000_0305-1.jpg

000_0307.jpg

000_0318.jpg

000_0321.jpg

000_0308.jpg

000_0313.jpg

000_0322.jpg

"Noland, run away, live to fight another day."

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Just a little thing, with a bit of history.

000_0328.jpg

It's a Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve collar dog (1936-1943).

The RAFVR was formed in July 1936 to provide individuals to supplement the Royal Auxiliary Air Force which had been formed in 1925 by the local Territorial Associations...Initially the RAFVR was composed of civilians recruited from the neighbourhoods of Reserve Flying Schools, which were run by civilian contractors who largely employed as instructors members of the Reserve of Air Force Officers (RAFO), who had previously completed a four year short service commission as pilots in the RAF.

Navigation instructors were mainly former master mariners without any air experience. Recruits were confined to men of between 18 and 25 years of age who had been accepted for part time training as Pilots, Observers and Wireless Operators. The object was to provide a reserve of aircrew for use in the event of war. By September 1939, the RAFVR comprised 6,646 Pilots, 1,625 Observers and 1,946 Wireless Operators.

When war broke out in 1939 the Air Ministry employed the RAFVR as the principal means for aircrew entry to serve with the RAF. A civilian volunteer on being accepted for aircrew training took an oath of allegiance ('attestation') and was then inducted in to the RAFVR. Normally he returned to his civilian job for several months until he was called up for aircrew training. During this waiting period he could wear a silver RAFVR lapel badge to indicate his status.

By the end of 1941 more than half of Bomber Command aircrew were members of the RAFVR. Most of the pre-war pilot and observer NCO aircrew had been commissioned and the surviving regular officers and members of the RAFO filled the posts of flight and squadron commanders. Eventually of the "RAF" aircrew in the Command probably more than 95% were serving members of the RAFVR

During 1943, the decision was taken by the Air Ministry to raise an order for members of the RAFVR to remove the brass and cloth 'VR's worn on the collars and shoulders of officers and other ranks (respectively), as these were viewed as being divisive. No similar order was raised for members of the Auxiliary Air Force, who retained their 'A's on uniforms at that time.

Montana Smith

This was a curiosity. An early twentieth century document embosser:

000_0329.jpg

Which produces the following embossed image:

000_0335.jpg

However, there appears to be no connection to the more famous Paramount Pictures.

The only reference to this company I could find online was this page from The London Gazette, dated 8th March 1927, reporting the winding up of the company:

LondonGazette1927.png

Just a curious piece of junk that will be moving on to pastures new.

Montana Smith

Nothing of monetary value, but a couple a coins that I found historically interesting.

A German Weimar Republic aluminium 500 marks with the Berlin Mint ?A?:

000_0368.jpg

000_0369.jpg

This coin was only issued in 1923, and the reasons are apparent when you consider the rate of inflation during that period.

In 1921 one US dollar would buy 75 marks. In the following two years the economy spiralled out of control.

1922: 400 marks to the dollar

1923: 7,000 marks to the dollar

January 1923: 18,000 marks to the dollar

1 July 1923: 160,000 marks to the dollar

1 August 1923: 1 million marks to the dollar

November 1923: 4 billion marks to the dollar

After November 1923 the exchange rate went into the trillions.

The journey out of chaos came via Hitler and an economic strategy geared towards war and expansion. Merely a short-sighted respite, made shorter still when he turned on the Soviet Union in 1941, the year on this 3 kopek coin:

000_0371.jpg

000_0373.jpg

Montana Smith

"This city deserves a better class of criminal. And I'm gonna give it to them!"

Hot Toys' DX11 The Joker 2.0:

000_0378.jpg

Old friends, and an empty chair awaiting Joker 2.0 number two:

000_0385.jpg

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
A medal commemmorating the marriage of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert on 10th February 1840, in its original, if tatty, presentation case.
This interests me, Smiffy.;) Any idea on when it was issued? Was it a mass-produced item for the public?:confused:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
This interests me, Smiffy.;) Any idea on when it was issued? Was it a mass-produced item for the public?:confused:

I think these were issued in 1840 as a commemorative in the same way that Empire Day and coronation medallions were issued as souvenirs.

They must have been issued in fairly large numbers as they aren't highly valuable. (A loose one went for £28.75 on Ebay a couple of years ago and a very rough one for under £4 recently).

However, the presentation case doesn't look cheap. It's a fabric coated metal box, so it probably wasn't a cheap souvenir in its day.

Googling Victoria Albert 1840 wedding medallion brings up variations of medallions commemorating the marriage.

Montana Smith

At long last I found a replica of the Remington Model 1875 Single Action 'Frontier Army' revolver.

Barranca's gun. ;)

800px-Barranca1s.jpg

This one was made by The Franklin Mint and marketed as 'The Jesse James Revolver', complete with lanyard ring:

000_0408.jpg

000_0413.jpg

000_0417.jpg