Where was the whip?

Indyman4

Is it just me or is anyone else disappointed in the lack of whip usage in Kingdom? He really only used it twice besides when he flicked it to Mac at the end which wasn't at all a stunt. Compared to Raiders which has 5 primary whip uses.... I wanted to see more. Comments?

James

They also filmed a scene where Indy used his whip against the cemetery warriors. I'm not sure why they cut it, since it was featured prominently in the film's marketing. This is one time where I wouldn't mind seeing a minor scene re-instated for the dvd release. (I think Lucas actually did this for all three prequels.)

Darth Vile

More whip would have been good... ;) Although one could argue that his whip usage within the first 20 minutes was pretty prominent (compared to the other movies).

Benraianajones

It would have been nice to see his whip used towards the middle of KOTCS I agree - we had some use near the start - the end a little. There wasn't a lot of it in Last Crusade though was there?

Indyman4

Benraianajones said:
It would have been nice to see his whip used towards the middle of KOTCS I agree - we had some use near the start - the end a little. There wasn't a lot of it in Last Crusade though was there?

Uhh he swings at the castle... and catching his dad on the tank. Yeah that's all I can remember.

The_Raiders

muttjones said:
im more annoyed at the no gun usage. the whip usage was fine

I agree. I was fine with the amount of whip usage, there could have been more but I really wish he would have used his gun. :(

Indyman4

The_Raiders said:
I agree. I was fine with the amount of whip usage, there could have been more but I really wish he would have used his gun. :(

Same here. You know I saw this picture today of Indy and Mutt in the graveyard scene and Indy was about to whip the dart gun thing or w/e the "living dead man" had out of his hand. Of course that wasn't in the movie but I'm wondering if that was cut out or just a pic for magazines.

The_Raiders

Indyman4 said:
Same here. You know I saw this picture today of Indy and Mutt in the graveyard scene and Indy was about to whip the dart gun thing or w/e the "living dead man" had out of his hand. Of course that wasn't in the movie but I'm wondering if that was cut out or just a pic for magazines.

I saw that picture also, if you saw the same one I did, if you look it's really Mutt's switchblade at the cemetary warriors hands and itl ooks like there's blood at the tip.

Bvance

I also wanted to see more whip, but as the story goes due to being captured or whatever, Indy didn't have his whip with him very much.

I REALLY would love to see that cut scene in the final DVD.

Even though there was little whip usage you have to admit that the sweeping shot where Indy swings with his whip from the light in KOTCS was an amazing shot! :whip:

Indyman4

The_Raiders said:
I saw that picture also, if you saw the same one I did, if you look it's really Mutt's switchblade at the cemetary warriors hands and itl ooks like there's blood at the tip.

Yes that's right the switchblade.

Indyman4

Bvance said:
I also wanted to see more whip, but as the story goes due to being captured or whatever, Indy didn't have his whip with him very much.

I REALLY would love to see that cut scene in the final DVD.

Even though there was little whip usage you have to admit that the sweeping shot where Indy swings with his whip from the light in KOTCS was an amazing shot! :whip:

Oh yes it was indeed awesome. My do I adore Mr. Spielberg.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rxH39QlRuhg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rxH39QlRuhg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'd never heard the full song before, or seen the video for that matter, Fantastic. What the hell, stripping some lady, a crazy mother whipping cream possibly, and some girl shooting for no reason. :whip:

Cagefighterkip

Indy didn't use his whip much in TEMPLE OF DOOM... he swung a few times in the cult temple to get the stones or when he's on the catwalks before the min cart chase... and he chokes the cultist in the bedroom... that's all I can think of. In THE LAST CRUSADE he used it to swing into the castle room, on his dad's leg and against the lion in the young Indy scene. And he used it pretty prominentlly in the intro in Hangar 51 for his escape and to stop Mac from flying in, and couple times throughout... it felt he used it more in KOTCS than in TOD or TLC but not as much as ROTLA.

Crack that whip

Cagefighterkip said:
Indy didn't use his whip much in TEMPLE OF DOOM... he swung a few times in the cult temple to get the stones or when he's on the catwalks before the min cart chase... and he chokes the cultist in the bedroom... that's all I can think of. In THE LAST CRUSADE he used it to swing into the castle room, on his dad's leg and against the lion in the young Indy scene. And he used it pretty prominentlly in the intro in Hangar 51 for his escape and to stop Mac from flying in, and couple times throughout... it felt he used it more in KOTCS than in TOD or TLC but not as much as ROTLA.

Actually, he uses it about as much in Last Crusade as in Crystal Skull, or even a little more (counting all uses of a whip as using "the" whip), and more in Temple of Doom and considerably more still in Raiders (though on the other hand, he does use it more in Crystal Skull than in the Chronicles).

He uses the whip in Raiders of the Lost Ark:
  • to disarm Barranca
  • to brush off tarantulas
  • to swing across the pit
  • to take the poker away from Toht
  • to fight off the hired thugs in Cairo
  • to climb the statue in the Well of Souls
  • to drag himself under and behind the truck and pull himself back to it
  • to tie himself to the periscope

... in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom:
  • to fight / choke / hang the Thuggee assassin in his room
  • to swing from the elephant statue across the chasm in the Thuggee temple
  • to swing from the light fixture from one catwalk to another in the mines
  • to fight and disarm the Thuggees by the cliff
  • to pull Willie back to himself for a kiss
(additionally, when Indy is captured, the giant Thuggee whips Indy with it)

... in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:
  • to stave off the lion and get pulled up to the train car roof by "Fedora" (arguably two uses, arguably one)
  • to swing outside the castle wall over to Henry, Sr.'s room
  • to grab Henry, Sr. to keep the tank track from pulling him over the front of the tank

... in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (or The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones):
  • to disarm and fight Demetrios

... and in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull:
  • to pull the gun away from the Russian soldier
  • to swing from the light fixture in the warehouse
  • to try to pull Mac to safety

Indyman4

Cagefighterkip said:

Well see the reason it seems more noticeable in Kingdom is because we haven't seen Indy in so many years. It didn't stand out in LC as much because we had just seen two right before it. But when you're anticipating the return of the Greatest Adventurer of All Time, you expect and anticipate lots of classic Indy whip action... which we did get some I just wanted more.. not to mention the complete non usage of his revolver. :( But that's a whole different thread.

Indyman4

Crack that whip said:
Actually, he uses it about as much in Last Crusade as in Crystal Skull, or even a little more (counting all uses of a whip as using "the" whip), and more in Temple of Doom and considerably more still in Raiders (though on the other hand, he does use it more in Crystal Skull than in the Chronicles).

He uses the whip in Raiders of the Lost Ark:
  • to disarm Barranca
  • to brush off tarantulas
  • to swing across the pit
  • to take the poker away from Toht
  • to fight off the hired thugs in Cairo
  • to climb the statue in the Well of Souls
  • to drag himself under and behind the truck and pull himself back to it
  • to tie himself to the periscope

... in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom:
  • to fight / choke / hang the Thuggee assassin in his room
  • to swing from the elephant statue across the chasm in the Thuggee temple
  • to swing from the light fixture from one catwalk to another in the mines
  • to fight and disarm the Thuggees by the cliff
  • to pull Willie back to himself for a kiss
(additionally, when Indy is captured, the giant Thuggee whips Indy with it)

... in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:
  • to stave off the lion and get pulled up to the train car roof by "Fedora" (arguably two uses, arguably one)
  • to swing outside the castle wall over to Henry, Sr.'s room
  • to grab Henry, Sr. to keep the tank track from pulling him over the front of the tank

... in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (or The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones):
  • to disarm and fight Demetrios

... and in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull:
  • to pull the gun away from the Russian soldier
  • to swing from the light fixture in the warehouse
  • to try to pull Mac to safety

Wow I had forgotten how much he used it in Raiders. I think that's another reason why Raiders was and is such a huge hit to first-time watchers... all the whip. Cuz if you think about it no other movie uses a whip like that at all.

Cagefighterkip

Indyman4 said:
Well see the reason it seems more noticeable in Kingdom is because we haven't seen Indy in so many years. It didn't stand out in LC as much because we had just seen two right before it. But when you're anticipating the return of the Greatest Adventurer of All Time, you expect and anticipate lots of classic Indy whip action... which we did get some I just wanted more.. not to mention the complete non usage of his revolver. :( But that's a whole different thread.

true --
i guess it didnt stand out to me as much. i loved KOTCS... i dunno maybe that could be it too. i didnt mind him not using his revolver at all. he barely uses it TLC and TOD so... i dunno. doesnt bug me.