I need some things explaining to me about KotCS.

Stoo

Dark Horse said:
Words evolve all the time, chappy. So yes, fail has become a noun in some instances.
Yes, words do evolve so I won't disagree with that. So (to use another lame term) my bad.:eek: That said, the only instance I can think of where "fail" is used as a noun is in "without fail" (except on this board). The phrase, "the fail is omnipotent" is almost as silly as the rip gag itself. With such writing skills, one can only assume that, had you wrote the script for "Skull", it would have been a literary masterpiece.:D

Another scene that I found confusing was the sand-pit. Why doesn't Mutt get Indy out the same way he pulled Marion out? Why switch to the snake?:confused:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
Another scene that I found confusing was the sand-pit. Why doesn't Mutt get Indy out the same way he pulled Marion out? Why switch to the snake?:confused:

It's the snake for Marion too, as near as I can tell. She just manages better than he does, apparently.

Dark Horse

Stoo said:
Yes, words do evolve so I won't disagree with that. So (to use another lame term) my bad.:eek: That said, the only instance I can think of where "fail" is used as a noun is in "without fail" (except on this board). The phrase, "the fail is omnipotent" is almost as silly as the rip gag itself. With such writing skills, one can only assume that, had you wrote the script for "Skull", it would have been a literary masterpiece.:D

Heh, well, using "fail" in the context that I do on message boards is supposed to sound silly (ish) so I won't argue there lol.

You'll certainly be welcome to rip into my script writing ability when I post my Indy photo story. I've done 28 comic pages so far and I think it's going well. :D

so wah mu

Wilhelm said:
I think the gag it's just a reference to Last Crusade when Indy and Henry are in Brunwald Castle in the chair and Henry drops the lighter.

The difference is that Indy can cut the rope and Henry not, but Mutt thinks the opposite.

That has to be right! But, make your own minds up. well observed Willhelm -I never made the LC reference though, it wasn't as obvious as say, the KOTCS motorcycle chase. When the headpiece comes off the Brody statue and Mutt looks at Indy for recognition, but it's the same unimpressed, blank stare of Henry Jones Sr looking back. That was just a great gag repeated in a newer format.

Did anyone else clock that?

Anyway, 1 other 'ripping' gag moment may be a reference to DVD ripping. Possible? Not sure. Ask the editor. Maybe there are different versions of the film, with ever so slight tweeks that only certain pirated versions would include/disclude clues as to the pirating source.

I said maybe, ok?

so wah mu said:
That has to be right! But, make your own minds up.
Anyway, 1 other 'ripping' gag moment may be a reference to DVD ripping. Possible?

I always thought it was a nod to Ripping Yarns since Mike did his round the World Adventures and Terry was all about Young Indy, and it was a ripping yarn and ripped Indy's yarn...

To many parralells to be coincidental, yup. I'm right.

IndyJr

Dark Horse said:
First one. When in the Chauchilla cemetery, Indy takes the conquistador's knife - was Indy going to steal it then had second thoughts? Was Mutt saying it was ok for Indy to take it? Or did Mutt mean it was ok for Indy to keep borrowing his switch? Confusing (to me, anyway :D )

The other - when in the truck after the family sqaubble - Indy gets the knife and we hear the rip sound. Mutt says "shlt" and has the look on his face like something really serious has happened. Did Indy just rip his pants? Or something more? I thought that part was dumb. I feel I totally missed something. What happened? :confused:

1) Notice the sign "Grave Robbers will be shot" (or something similar). Therefore Mutt meant it was ok to keep borrowing his.

2) I actually cracked up laughing in the cinema when it happened (so did the people around me). The slashing noise is the material on the side of the Truck being cut by the switchblade.

Darth Vile

James said:
1. Indy is a graverobber and was going to keep the knife. Mutt called him on it, and Indy was just trying to save face.

During the diner scene, Indy bristles when referred to this way ("Like you're some type of...like a graverobber or something?"), and makes a point to say he is a tenured professor of archaeology. The latter is how Indy wants to be viewed- particularly at this later stage of life- but his actions in the burial chamber reveal his true nature. The brief scene is a nice character moment that evokes the fortune hunter we saw in TOD.

That’s exactly how I read it. Even after all these years, Indy still has to suppress his natural instinct for seeking "fortune and glory".

Wilhelm said:
I think the gag it's just a reference to Last Crusade when Indy and Henry are in Brunwald Castle in the chair and Henry drops the lighter.

The difference is that Indy can cut the rope and Henry not, but Mutt thinks the opposite.

Again, I agree. I always thought that it was a simple reference/nod to the Indy/Henry Jones Senior predicament in Last Crusade, rather than an out an out joke. And as such, I quite like that moment in the movie i.e. Indy may be more similar to his father than he thinks, but he will always be a man of action first and foremost.

Blade

Darth Vile said:
That?s exactly how I read it. Even after all these years, Indy still has to suppress his natural instinct for seeking "fortune and glory".

Again, I agree. I always thought that it was a simple reference/nod to the Indy/Henry Jones Senior predicament in Last Crusade, rather than an out an out joke. And as such, I quite like that moment in the movie i.e. Indy may be more similar to his father than he thinks, but he will always be a man of action first and foremost.

Vile, you crazy cat.

How many times have you seen this movie now?

Darth Vile

Blade said:
Vile, you crazy cat.

How many times have you seen this movie now?
KOTCS? Not that many... 3 times in the cinema and circa 3 times (start to finish) on DVD/Blu Ray. I don't think that's over excessive in 12 months. ;)

I've dipped in and out more often than not i.e. straight to the warehouse, cemetery, jungle or ants scenes (as I do with many an action movie these days). There are a few other movies I've watched more frequently than KOTCS on Blu Ray this year.