I still like it!

Indy's Fist

After a year I have watched KOTCS several times, about ten. I have read may of the posts here and elsewhere. I have tried to understand the perspective of those who don't like it. That said, I still can't not like KOTCS. I still see a fun IJ adventure. I have tried but just can't find the flaws that so many others claim to have seen, or at the very least let the flaws bring the whole movie down as other have. If that were the case I'd have to break down the other IJ films and maybe they wouldn't seem as good as I like to remember.

Darth Vile

Indy's Fist said:
After a year I have watched KOTCS several times, about ten. I have read may of the posts here and elsewhere. I have tried to understand the perspective of those who don't like it. That said, I still can't not like KOTCS. I still see a fun IJ adventure. I have tried but just can't find the flaws that so many others claim to have seen, or at the very least let the flaws bring the whole movie down as other have. If that were the case I'd have to break down the other IJ films and maybe they wouldn't seem as good as I like to remember.

There is no denying that KOTCS is a flawed movie. There is no denying that, IMHO, Lucas/Spielberg played it safe and didn't look to progress the concept. That said, there is still much to enjoy... be it the set pieces (which whilst not matching the best of the earlier movies, compete with modern movie equivalents) Williams score, and the man himself... Harrison Ford.

And as much as some of KOTCS shortfalls frustrate me (because we'd all like to see an Indy sequel that competes with Raiders for overall quality), I still find the movie fun, and thoroughly entertaining. I concede that my emotional connection to Indiana Jones movies, may make me a little more forgiving when critiquing the movie... but that forgiving eye can be applied to all the sequels.

Forbidden Eye

AlivePoet said:
Where's Forbidden Eye? :D

Wow!

Apparently, I've made such an impression defending Kingdom on this board that one member recalled me enough to give me a mention! I feel so special now. ;)

And as AlivePoet has suggested, you are not alone Indy's Fist, I find Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull to be an awesome time. Even 13 months after its release, I still get more pleasure from KOTCS than I do Last Crusade. As been said and said again, its no Raiders, but then no movie is.

Speaking of which, maybe that's why I like it so much more than others: while everyone is comparing it to Raiders, I had in mind lame films like Lora Croft, National Treasure, Da Vinci Code etc. and so many other uninspired derivatives that it was easy to view Kingdom and get reminded why we go to the movies. The opening day showing was one of the better more pleasant experiences I've had in quite some time.

The only big flaw I see in Kingdom is how little they left for Indy 5(without making it a lame Mutt movie), but isn't that a sign of a good movie?

avidfilmbuff

I'm afraid I do deny that Kingdom is a flawed film. After witnessing the same nonsense over and over again every summer, Kingdom was a breath of fresh air. Kingdom is perhaps one of the most underrated films of all time.

Robyn

I always loved kotcs, but it was flawed and it was definitely no Raiders, I've never lost hope though that we can still get another just as good as Raiders!

avidfilmbuff

I truly don't understand what is it specifically that Raiders contained that the other 3 films don't have. All four are magnificently shot homages to the escapist entertainments of the past. And all of contain a sophisticated yet simultaneously light hearted feeling of awe.

AlivePoet

ronicle said:
I always loved kotcs, but it was flawed and it was definitely no Raiders, I've never lost hope though that we can still get another just as good as Raiders!

I never lost hope but then I never had it, either. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, but nothing lost, so my life is unchanged. And that almost rhymed.

And @ Forbidden Eye:

Well, you are, shall we say, thee Kingdom apologist of our time. You unflinchingly took the criticism hurled against the film and let it all bounce off--as though you received the negative energy and turned it into positive for yourself! If ever the Raven Awards make an appearance, I nominate thee for "Best Supporting Ravener of Kingdom."* **

*Special thanks to Agent Spalko (posthumous) who helped make the nomination a reality.

Forbidden Eye

AlivePoet said:
And @ Forbidden Eye:

Well, you are, shall we say, thee Kingdom apologist of our time. You unflinchingly took the criticism hurled against the film and let it all bounce off--as though you received the negative energy and turned it into positive for yourself! If ever the Raven Awards make an appearance, I nominate thee for "Best Supporting Ravener of Kingdom."* **

*Special thanks to Agent Spalko (posthumous) who helped make the nomination a reality.

I still don't see why you've excluded me personally as I've only made 406 posts, not all defending Kingdom, thus far appose to Darth Vile's 1500+ posts. Plus there are a couple others who seem to like Kingdom more.

But yeah, I'm in an optimistic mood so I'll take your post as compliments. (y)

DocWhiskey

KOTCS is entertaining and enjoyable. It's my least favorite of the 4, but what do you want? Everyone's old. They did a good job. People look too much into it.

bennihana123

I think KotCS is definitely underrated. The Aliens don't bother me.

But it does have its flaws.

Overuse of CGI, bad dialogue: "wubbleyous", and the story's plot holes don't exactly make it the greatest Indy adventure, but I enjoyed it anyway.

While most of my friends at school were talking about how "lame the new Indiana Jones is compared to the originals," I actually enjoyed it.

Jones Disciple

I like KOTCS. Sure it isn?t as good as the last three but it was still an Indiana Jones film. I think the script has some real problems especially at the end but Harrison was great and the film had some really good moments. I?m having a hard time understanding all of these negative posts about the prospect of another one. Is this an Indiana Jones fan site or not? If you didn?t like the last one you might want to consider that the next one could be better. If it turns out to be just as bad as you felt the last one was then nothing is lost or gained. Once these guys are gone so is this character. A lot of people have been suggesting that they should get someone else to play the part. Well I can tell you now I don?t care what they call that film because if Harrison Ford isn?t playing the part it won?t be Indiana Jones.

DocWhiskey

bennihana123 said:
I think KotCS is definitely underrated. The Aliens don't bother me.

But it does have its flaws.

Overuse of CGI, bad dialogue: "wubbleyous", and the story's plot holes don't exactly make it the greatest Indy adventure, but I enjoyed it anyway.

While most of my friends at school were talking about how "lame the new Indiana Jones is compared to the originals," I actually enjoyed it.

Agreed. Personally, the least of KOTCS's worries were the aliens.

And friends of mine say the same thing. I mentioned "I think Indiana Jones 5 is going to happen".

And they just reply, "God help us all."

Really? Damn a whole franchise because of one mediocre movie?

Whatever.

DocWhiskey said:
Agreed. Personally, the least of KOTCS's worries were the aliens.

And friends of mine say the same thing. I mentioned "I think Indiana Jones 5 is going to happen".

And they just reply, "God help us all."

Really? Damn a whole franchise because of one mediocre movie?

Whatever.

Say whaaaat?

Damn what? They didn't damn the whole franchise. It's entirely reasonable, given current track records to expect mediocrity-- they damned a fifth, not a franchise. I've got their backs on this one. Given mediocrity, one can only expect more of the same...

DocWhiskey

That's true, you're only as good as your last film, and now every time Indiana Jones is brought up his mediocre 4th installment is up in front and ready to be knocked. The previous enjoyable films are pushed back just to mention the "lame" one that came out last year. 3 and 1 isn't that bad a record :p

avidfilmbuff

If there is a 5th one I do expect it to be very different from the other three, as each one seems to focus on different styles. Raiders is a Saturday matinee serial, Temple is 1930's pulp fiction, Crusade is a 1930's Hollywood blockbuster, and Kingdom is a 1950's b movie. It still perplexes how few people seem to understand this. If there is a scene that they do not understand, they merely pass it off as corny. Sure, Kingdom was silly, but that is not a flaw, it's part of its charm. The entire series is nothing more but a tribute to the absurd escapist entertainments of the past. And that is why the series, as a whole, is a masterpiece.

Indy's Fist

avidfilmbuff said:
If there is a 5th one I do expect it to be very different from the other three, as each one seems to focus on different styles. Raiders is a Saturday matinee serial, Temple is 1930's pulp fiction, Crusade is a 1930's Hollywood blockbuster, and Kingdom is a 1950's b movie. It still perplexes how few people seem to understand this. If there is a scene that they do not understand, they merely pass it off as corny. Sure, Kingdom was silly, but that is not a flaw, it's part of its charm. The entire series is nothing more but a tribute to the absurd escapist entertainments of the past. And that is why the series, as a whole, is a masterpiece.

That was summed up very well! I couldn't have said it better!

I think what bothers me most about fan reaction is they compare Mutt to Jar Jar Binks & hate the alien aspect. First, I'd rather see ten movies with Mutt Williams that ten minutes with Jar Jar! Second, I can't understand why so many people can consider the Ark ghosts, Sankara stones powers & Holy grail/False Holy Grail powers to be believable, yet aliens stupid. It boggles my mind.

Indy's Fist

I just wonder if in the future KOTCS will be remembered the same way as TOD? If I recall many critcs and fans had a similar negative reaction to TOD. However now TOD for the most part is seen as just as classic as the rest.

avidfilmbuff

It's because they have it imprinted in their mind what an Indiana Jones film should be, and if the filmmakers decide to do something a little different and be creative, the public considers this some sort of betrayal. Better to have 5 different films with sharing characteristics than have 5 films that are exactly the same with no surprises. Oh by the way, I meant to say in my previous post that the I expected the 5th film to be different to the other four films rather than 3, it sounded like I was trying to ignore Kingdom like all the other fans.

sandiegojones

Indy's Fist said:
I just wonder if in the future KOTCS will be remembered the same way as TOD? If I recall many critcs and fans had a similar negative reaction to TOD. However now TOD for the most part is seen as just as classic as the rest.
I think it will be. For years I heard people say TOD was a horrible film, and then KOTCS came out and those same people are saying that "the original 3 films were classic and KOTCS sucks". In another 10 years it may be seen differently. Shia will be a bigger star and new fans will see the films for the first time.

People have issues with the alien thing, yet the same people will tell you that Close Encounters, ET and similar films are great. They probably watch shows like UFO Hunters & stuff too. I think they just have an idea of what they think an Indy film should be and don't see aliens as supernatural.

Even the new Transformers film has a plot similar to KOTCS with the Decepticons having assisted with the pyramids in Egypt & stuff. I wonder what people will say about that?