Pilot lessons...

BrodyIsDead

Does anyone know when exactly Indy finds the time to learn how to fly? In TOD we hear him say "Fly? No, you?!" to Willie as their Lao Che plane crashes but then in Last Crusade he says to his dad "Fly, yes, land no!" So sometime in the 3 years between those two adventures he must learn at least how to fly... Is it covered in the Indy books?

:confused:

Col. Jones

No, to my knowledge there are not any Indy novels set between 1935 and 1938. However, there is a to-do list in the Lost Journal that says "learn how to fly a plane."

mattzilla2010

Yeah, I've always wondered that myself. Is the Lost Journal the only hint/acknowledgment then?

Plus, what kind of piloting lessons would teach you how to fly but not how to land? :confused: LOL

Lao_Che

The joke would be he learned to fly during the start of Temple of Doom, I believe.

He does take some lessons during IJ and the White Witch in 1930 though.

mattzilla2010

Lao_Che said:

*GASP!* The truth comes out! He was so annoyed with Willie after the short amount of time they had spent together that he decided he would rather die than hear her whine about one more thing. So, he lied and said he didn't know how to fly a plane in the hopes that they would all just crash and die. And then he changed his mind, cuz that darn Indy is just so indecisive.

Maybe I should take a break from the computer...

Raiders90

mattzilla2010 said:
*GASP!* The truth comes out! He was so annoyed with Willie after the short amount of time they had spent together that he decided he would rather die than hear her whine about one more thing. So, he lied and said he didn't know how to fly a plane in the hopes that they would all just crash and die. And then he changed his mind, cuz that darn Indy is just so indecisive.

Maybe I should take a break from the computer...

Taking some pilot lessons does not a pilot make.
And ToD does show he has some knowledge of how a plane works--Knowing that the air speed and altimeter are OK, but probably doesn't have full working knowledge of how to fly.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Lao_Che said:
The joke would be he learned to fly during the start of Temple of Doom, I believe.

I was about to post the same thing. In fact I would have thought that bone of contention would have warranted a thread. In terms of the OP's question though, Indy could have easily gotten a lesson or two between '35 and '38. In fact, if you think about it, was Indy going to fly the Flying Wing in Raiders with the Ark on it, or did he just think he could steal the Ark back and get away with it (the way he did in the end)? If it was the former, then perhaps Indy might have gotten flying lessons between '35 and '36, but then, of course, Indy was just making it up as he goes.

But yeah... Indy couldn't really have done that much as it was fuel was being dumped anyway, even if he was having amnesia about his flight experience in 1930.

mattzilla2010

Raiders112390 said:
Taking some pilot lessons does not a pilot make.
And ToD does show he has some knowledge of how a plane works--Knowing that the air speed and altimeter are OK, but probably doesn't have full working knowledge of how to fly.

Yeah, that makes sense. A lot more sense than my goofball post. :p