Mutt's origins

indyflys_solo

Mutt... I am Your Father!

For everyone who A) already knows the answer or B) has made a thread regarding this, I apologize in advance. But I'm trying to get a real answer this time, because I'm getting conflicting little odds and ends from all over the place. And so without further ado...
IS INDIANA JONES MUTT'S DAD?
I'm almost afraid to know but I have to ask. Marion and Indy would be awesome to have as parents, but still... the idea bothers me. And I know Marion's an independent woman, but I think she would at least drop Indy a line or something. ("Hope everything is okay with you... oh, did I mention I'm having your kid?") ;)

Finn

Staff member
The pending answer is: We don't know.

At the moment there are hints both for this to be true and equally good hints against it. Guess we'll just have to wait a little longer to find out, eh?

agentsands77

I think we can safely say he is. There's a lot of weight on the side that he is Indy's son, the most recent of which comes from the Leapfrog game description released by the publisher. Unless they're confused about their own game, I don't see how we can discount it.

And Finn, I disagree that there are equally good hints against it. The evidence seems strongly stacked on the side that Mutt is, in fact, Indy's son.

sarah navarro

agentsands77 said:
I think we can safely say he is. There's a lot of weight on the side that he is Indy's son, the most recent of which comes from the Leapfrog game description released by the publisher. Unless they're confused about their own game, I don't see how we can discount it.

And Finn, I disagree that there are equally good hints against it. The evidence seems strongly stacked on the side that Mutt is, in fact, Indy's son.
I dont think anyone can deny it anymore...:whip:
Im actually happy but i guess we still have to wait for the "official" announcement.

Deckard

What if Mutt Williams is just a ploy and he's actually supposed to be a young Tom Selleck? Then its revealed Tom Selleck is actually Harrison and Callista's son, thats why Tom turned down the part of Indy back in the day, because he wasn't really born yet and it would have created a paradox that would unravel the fabric of the space time continuum and caused a war between Captain Picard and Darth Vader. Then we learn that Shia is actually the future son of Tom Selleck, the real Tom Selleck who is now the president, only not now, later.

UltimateManGod

Deckard said:
What if Mutt Williams is just a ploy and he's actually supposed to be a young Tom Selleck? Then its revealed Tom Selleck is actually Harrison and Callista's son, thats why Tom turned down the part of Indy back in the day, because he wasn't really born yet and it would have created a paradox that would unravel the fabric of the space time continuum and caused a war between Captain Picard and Darth Vader. Then we learn that Shia is actually the future son of Tom Selleck, the real Tom Selleck who is now the president, only not now, later.

Wow. Thanks for ruining the movie for me. Because this is the only logical explanation I've seen so far. It also happens to be the best one too.

sarah navarro

Deckard said:
ok now ive heard alot of confusing posts here at the raven but you sir have by far posted the most confusing:p :D

Finn

Staff member
agentsands77 said:
I think we can safely say he is.
No, we can't. Not without official confirmation.
agentsands77 said:
There is the surname controversy and repeated ad infinitum, no official confirmation. Before we get one, it is "officially" ambiguous and no one should say one thing for sure. Though I'm inclined to agree with you with the rest of your statement.

But still, the correct answer is that we don't know at the moment. The evidence can be debated to world's end, but there's no such thing as nailing it down, yet.

indyflys_solo

Okay, so no one actually knows yet. Just checking to make sure I'm not sitting in a dark corner with a blanket over my head while everyone else is carrying flashlights--or torches in a lit room. I agree with you, Finn: no one can nail it down yet, we'll just have to wait and see. Although to coin the words of Inigo Montoya ("The Princess Bride": another incredible movie, but that's another site), "I HATE WAITING." ;)

agentsands77

Finn said:
No, we can't. Not without official confirmation.
Even without it, I think we can safely say he is, at least working from the evidence we have (and we have a solid amount, so I don't think we'd be off target). Of course official confirmation would solidify everything, but that doesn't mean that we can't make judgments in the meantime.

Based on the evidence as things currently are, it looks like Mutt Williams is Indy's son. I'm going to continue to believe that unless the evidence changes and points to something else, which strikes me as quite unlikely.

Finn said:
There is the surname controversy
What, that his last name is Williams and not Jones? Easy to solve that one, I think, especially given other rumors that state that they don't know their relationship to one another until later in the film. It seems Marion doesn't want her son to know who his father was.

Finn

Staff member
agentsands77 said:
Even without it, I think we can safely say he is, at least working from the evidence we have (and we have a solid amount, so I don't think we'd be off target). Of course official confirmation would solidify everything, but that doesn't mean that we can't make judgments in the meantime.
This is not about making judgment or analyzing circumstancial evidence, this is about answering the question found in the opening post. If it was "do you believe Mutt is Indiana's son", my answer would have to be "based on the evidence we have, yes I do". But it isn't.

And the only correct answer to the question present is WE DON'T KNOW. Simple enough?

Hedwig

My personal opinion is that nobody cant be 100% sure about Mutt being Indy's son. Even when I've read some of the posts about it I'm still not sure. There are lots of thing which suggest that he might be, but still he might not be. I don't know...

The Man

Perhaps if it was left ambiguous it could be interesting. Let's say Indy has a vibe but never acts on it. Or Marion has "something to say" but doesn't quite get the chance, while Mutt is oblivious throughout.

Burke

The Man said:
Perhaps if it was left ambiguous it could be interesting. Let's say Indy has a vibe but never acts on it. Or Marion has "something to say" but doesn't quite get the chance, while Mutt is oblivious throughout.

I think that would be the best way to handle it. Perhaps Mutt becomes "giddy like a schoolboy" at some point, Marion flashes a smile and then something interrupts the moment and the story moves forward.

agentsands77

Finn said:
This is not about making judgment or analyzing circumstancial evidence, this is about answering the question found in the opening post.
But to answer the question found in the opening post does require a judgment. A simplistic "we don't know" doesn't really cover it. Because we do have evidence on the table, and that has to be addressed.

Finn said:
And the only correct answer to the question present is WE DON'T KNOW.
The question posed was: "Is Indiana Jones Mutt's dad?"

And to summarize my response, I stated: "I think we can safely say he is based on the evidence." That's a fair answer.

Rayder

Maybe a percentage awnser would help, (with a weatherman's tone) with the evidance it is safe to say that there is a 75% chance that mutt is Indy's son.

But weathermen are not always right, now are they?

effin

I would say more like 98.999%

I think the leapfrog thing and the fact his name is "mutt" is enough.