Can Indiana Jones 5 be released before Paramount's 100th Anniversary of its name.

Raiders90

Stoo said:
Raiders112390, you aren't using the term, "stalking", properly. I don't know where you live nor the colour of your underwear.:rolleyes: In a forum such as this, people get to know each other via what they post...and I've noticed that you contradict yourself very often. I want to know why but instead of EXPLAINING YOUR REASONS, you cry about being stalked.(n)

Imagine if you had a friend who said:
"I love cats!" and then the next week they said, "I hate cats!"

Wouldn't you be curious about their change in opinion?:confused:
Well, I don't reply EVERY TIME you post but here's a suggestion for you, Raiders112390: Stop flip-flopping!:whip:

---
On-Topic: If pre-production on Indy 5 starts tomorrow, then there is a very good chance that it could be released before Paramount's 2014 true anniversary.

How's this, here's my suggestion: If I post something, and even if I "flip flop", don't respond, period.

No Ticket

I don't see him as flip flopping Stoo. Perhaps how he explains himself comes out as such if you want to nitpick, but his meaning is the same. Which I think was... that although Harrison is in great health/shape... he has visually aged quite a bit. He may be in great shape but he's in great shape for a 70 year old. He still looks 70 and thus the difficulty in the suspension of disbelief.

I find it annoying when someone goes out of there way to find posts of a contradictory nature on a forum over something as silly as their opinion of how Harrison Ford looks. Even if he was flip flopping his opinion, maybe he is just indecisive. Is this a political debate?

On topic... yeah, uhm, it's not happening. I really don't think Indy 5 is going to happen. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does (even if I feel it probably shouldn't be made at this point).

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Moderation Notice

And as I've told you gents before, if you both can't play nicely, use the ignore button. Finding faults in an argument is fine, but attacking each other ain't on. Doesn't matter who started it. Stoo, if you find someone contradictive, there are other ways of going about arguing your point. And though you are a zealous fan, sometimes it may serve you well to be more subtle in your criticisms of others.

And Raiders112390- the upkeep wouldn't allow anyone to be "run off" the Raven by another member. And all Raveners are seen as equal. It also may serve you well, to ignore any attack or simply report it if you feel a post has gone too far. On the other hand, it also may serve you well, to take time to think a little before posting- I know I read a lot more posts, than I actually post.

(I don't mean you No Ticket, I don't find any fault with your post).

Raiders90

No Ticket said:
I don't see him as flip flopping Stoo. Perhaps how he explains himself comes out as such if you want to nitpick, but his meaning is the same. Which I think was... that although Harrison is in great health/shape... he has visually aged quite a bit. He may be in great shape but he's in great shape for a 70 year old. He still looks 70 and thus the difficulty in the suspension of disbelief.

I find it annoying when someone goes out of there way to find posts of a contradictory nature on a forum over something as silly as their opinion of how Harrison Ford looks. Even if he was flip flopping his opinion, maybe he is just indecisive. Is this a political debate?

On topic... yeah, uhm, it's not happening. I really don't think Indy 5 is going to happen. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does (even if I feel it probably shouldn't be made at this point).

The bolded is exactly what I meant; You said it better than I could. He is in great shape, for a man of his age. For a near 70 year old he's in better shape than most people his age. But when that comes to playing a "man of action", a fighter, physical character like Indy, he looks ancient. The white hair, sagging jawline and wrinkles do not help, though those could be worked on with make up and hair dye.

Kernunnos

Raiders112390 said:
The bolded is exactly what I meant; You said it better than I could. He is in great shape, for a man of his age. For a near 70 year old he's in better shape than most people his age. But when that comes to playing a "man of action", a fighter, physical character like Indy, he looks ancient. The white hair, sagging jawline and wrinkles do not help, though those could be worked on with make up and hair dye.

Spielberg has said they'll never be apologetic about Harrison's age, or try to hide it, and nor should they.

I can understand the apprehensions of people such as Montana about an older Indiana Jones, but for me it's not a problem. I really want to see more of the older Indy. My only worry is whether George is still capable of doing the character justice.

Montana Smith

Kernunnos said:
My only worry is whether George is still capable of doing the character justice.

That's the biggest concern.

Of course there could be a standout older Indy movie, but it would need to be a more mature offering. And that's something I don't think George would go for, as it takes the character towards an older audience.

The compromise, as in the last one, was to introduce a young hero as a sop to a young audience.

Remove Mutt, give Indy his freedom, sod the kids, and go the Hitchcock route!

Or else it'll likely be a face-in-palm movie concerned with age-related humour. (Indy on his butt catching his breath while Mutt mops up the protagonists).

No Ticket

I think a good way to make an older Indy story work would be if (just bare with me)...

[fan-fiction mode on - story time]
... the cold open was Indy and a colleague of his around the same age making their way through traps, etc. to find the Fountain of Youth. When they find it his colleague approaches the fountain to drink. At first Indy was excited about the prospect but when it comes time to drink, Indy refuses. He only wants the find he says, he doesn't want to have to "go through all of it again, once was enough" in reference to his life. Indy warns him that it might not be all that it's cracked up to be, there's gotta be a catch. His colleague ignores him and goes to take a drink... as he approaches the pool of water it triggers a trap. The whole place collapses with Indy narrowly escaping... his friend doesn't make it out. This bittersweet open leads to the title.

[okay so the movie would not actually be about the Fountain of Youth, that'd be the story we only caught the end of]

... the movie opens and explains whatever it is Indy is actually after. On his journey he encounters, not an army, but a group of pirates or whatever you want to call them that are also after it and are well equipped with guns, etc. They are led by a 20-something young man who has heard of this Indiana Jones. Indy winds up in countless fights and traps, chase scenes and what not as you probably can imagine.

Then he ends up being outsmarted left and right. He cannot get the upperhand. He catches up with the leader and is essentially beaten to a pulp and called an "old man" who is a "fool." In the fight the leader explains his plan to use the Mcguffin to gain world power. At some point while fighting Indy gets a close look in the man's eyes and realizes who it is. He says his name like a question. But the man throws him down and pulls a gun. Indy says, "Whatever that fountain did to you, it's changed more than just your looks." The man explains that, "it's certainly changed more than my looks, it's made me stronger, sharper... I'm actually better than my younger self. I am the ultimate form of human." Indy replies that he has "heard that kind of thinking somewhere before." The man doesn't shoot him but instead decides to bury him alive or some such nonsense. This obviously gives Indy the chance to escape.

Now that Indy knows what he's up against he is more cautious and he meets up with his old friend at whatever the finale locale would be. Temple, Pyramid, pirate treasure of some kind... whatever. At this point they both struggle with each other and there's an epic final scene involving the mcguffin.

Indy is put into another position to save the man or let him die and the man retorts, "Only the good die young, Dr. Jones..." faced with his impending doom. Indy replies, "You're not young. You're ___ years old!" and he pulls him up or saves him in whatever way.

Before they escape, the place caves in on them or explodes or wahtever and Indy doesn't make it out. His hat blows in the wind towards the man and it Indy has finally died. The man comes to his senses and returns to a normal good life and they name the college or a department after Dr. Jones. A few months has passed. Finally we get some kind of hint or teaser at the very end that reveals that Indy didn't actually die but was trapped and it took him obviously a long time to get out and to return home.

[END LAME FAN FIC IDEA - STORY MODE OFF]

... I just think a good young versus old would make for a good story. I also think that having the young guy actually as old as Indy would also make it more interesting. Just a thought. I think this way an old Indiana Jones could work.

Rivers

Stoo said:
---
On-Topic: If pre-production on Indy 5 starts tomorrow, then there is a very good chance that it could be released before Paramount's 2014 true anniversary.

Stoo, do you not think its possible that if they have a script ready by years end that they can get it done for a May 2014 release?? I believe it is quite possible...

The Drifter

Indiana Jones and the Yadda Yadda Yadda will never be released. Not in 2014, 2018 or even 3485. Face it people, we will never see Ford in the hat ever again.

Toht's Arm

I think there's still a pretty good chance there will be a fifth film. Not in time for the anniversary, however.

I would love it if they managed to shoot two films back to back, so that we'd had three films set in the 30s, and three in the 50s. Having two distinct trilogies I think would work really well, rather than the current situation where KotCS is kind of the black sheep. I would want the two films to stand on their own, and maybe only be connected by their opening scenes - an artifact he recovers in the opening scene of the first be relevant to the second, perhaps. One film could have been the Hitchcockian innocent man accused thing talked about here - with Indy on his own for much of it - and the other the 'family outing' that we all know (and dread) is more likely.

But if it takes Lucas this long to dream up a story, then that's never going to happen. Ah well, a guy can dream...

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
He is in great shape, for a man of his age. For a near 70 year old he's in better shape than most people his age.
Raiders112390, now you say that Harrison's body is in great shape for a 69/70 year old (and he is rich enough to afford the best medical care) but, according to you 3 months ago, you wrote that he's not far away from a retirement home.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Since when does a person get put into a retirement home because of facial wrinkles & a sagging jawline?:confused:
Forbidden Eye said:
I think Indy 5 has bigger problems against it than to tie in the Paramount logo perfectly.
Hi, Forbidden Eye. Actually, the topic question is not about a 'tie-in' but, rather, can it be released BEFORE the 100th anniversary. Moon Tan implicates 2014 in general but *as far as I can trace*, the earliest use of the Paramount name was in September 1914 with, "An Odyssey of the North". That leaves almost 2 and a half years before the TRUE anniversary.

(Not that the distinction really matters. Who cares if Indy 5 is before the anniversary or not?)
Rivers said:
Stoo, do you not think its possible that if they have a script ready by years end that they can get it done for a May 2014 release?? I believe it is quite possible...
Rivers, yes, it *can* be done. Of course it's possible but is it probable?:confused: Nobody knows for sure...

You're right with a suggested May date because all of the Indy movies (apart from "Raiders") came out during that month. Being the most recent film, Indy 4 would be the best comparison for a production timeframe. The shooting of "Skull" started in June 2007, which was 11 months before its release so Indy 5 would *probably* have to get the cameras rollling by June 2013 (in order to meet Moon Tan's idea of a pre-100th anniversary).

Archaeos

So you think - in context of the assumed timeline running to June 2013 for principal photography having to start in order to meet a May 2014 release date - that 12 months of concept development, stakeholder agreement, actual scriptwriting, page-lock and greenlight, and then pre-production is feasible? That's 13 months from today, 14 May 2012?

Stoo

Archaeos said:
So you think - in context of the assumed timeline running to June 2013 for principal photography having to start in order to meet a May 2014 release date - that 12 months of concept development, stakeholder agreement, actual scriptwriting, page-lock and greenlight, and then pre-production is feasible? That's 13 months from today, 14 May 2012?
Archaeos, the pre-production stage from today until June 2013 (approx. 12-13 months) is, indeed, very FEASIBLE...but highly unlikely!

Keep in mind that this is one of those "Indy 5 wish" threads (which I usually abstain from because they are, mostly, all for nought). I'm just trying to give the dreamers some more steam and, personally, don't care whether it gets made before the 100th anniversary or not.;)

Rivers

Stoo said:
Rivers, yes, it *can* be done. Of course it's possible but is it probable?:confused: Nobody knows for sure...

You're right with a suggested May date because all of the Indy movies (apart from "Raiders") came out during that month. Being the most recent film, Indy 4 would be the best comparison for a production timeframe. The shooting of "Skull" started in June 2007, which was 11 months before its release so Indy 5 would *probably* have to get the cameras rollling by June 2013 (in order to meet Moon Tan's idea of a pre-100th anniversary).

Ya. thats exactly it. It seems thay have plenty of time to get a film out for May 2014. Ya, but, I dont think anyone really cares if it is in time for Paramounts 100th anniversary.

Archaeos

Stoo said:
Archaeos, the pre-production stage from today until June 2013 (approx. 12-13 months) is, indeed, very FEASIBLE...but highly unlikely!

Keep in mind that this is one of those "Indy 5 wish" threads (which I usually abstain from because they are, mostly, all for nought). I'm just trying to give the dreamers some more steam and, personally, don't care whether it gets made before the 100th anniversary or not.;)

Thanks for qualifying this. The most recent posts made this thread indeed quite steamy ;) . Personally, I think it is optimistically feasible in theory, i.e. if everyone involved drop all their existing projects, focus exclusively on this, and budgeting is slaved to the timeframe. Which - I think it is fair to claim - has a probability of nought. :cool:

I am unsure why the Paramount naming jubilee is so relevant. It seems arbitrary, but as a newbie here, I might be missing some Indy fandom folklore (other than the traditional opening lap dissolve)...:confused:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2012/07/paramount-pictures-100th-anniversary-photo
Great zoomable pic made in January. Video has more footage of Ford and the beards (Spielberg and Shia).

ParamountMainLL__120613031959.jpg

ParamountMainRR__120613032132.jpg