Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely believe this will be a big improvement on skull. This is the last one. So Steve should be thinking lets just go for it and make it awesome.

The Man

Sakis said:
Let's just hope this one, if it gets made, would follow Spielberg's Indy tradition and be an apology the same way Crusade was for Temple. No matter how good Temple was.

The most emphatic means of apologizing for that...episode would be to utterly ignore it. No prequelisation, no retconning, simply ignore it. Place Ford in a swift, non-dependent, self-contained situation that allows not even the merest mention of his "fiery" wife and "magical" boy. And even if they must get a rudimentary reference, go no further. Oh, and even though Spielberg is most likely scheming to crowbar in a "dynamic, spirited" grandson, no! Crystal Skull can be acutely instructive as a template for what NOT to do...

Udvarnoky

Sakis said:
Let's just hope this one, if it gets made, would follow Spielberg's Indy tradition and be an apology the same way Crusade was for Temple. No matter how good Temple was.

So another apology sequel, only this time it's actually merited?

I dunno...I love Last Crusade, but the reactionary nature of its design is kind the root of its problems for me. Bringing back the desert, the Nazis, the Judeo-Christian artifact, Sallah, Marcus, the college opening, etc. were clearly part of that mindset of returning to Raiders after the backlash of Temple. On an individual level, none of these reprisals are unwelcome, but together they make for a movie that feels warmed-over and a bit too interested in retreading what came before.

And you can see where that approach influenced Crystal Skull. With Last Crusade, you can kind of give the Beards a pass because they truly thought they were designing a finale, and so bringing back all these elements to round off the saga as a retroactive "trilogy" sorta makes sense in context. (Plus, unlike Crystal Skull, the movie had heart and great execution, so some weak story elements essentially didn't matter.)

But Last Crusade set a bad example, and Crystal Skull continued down that reflexive path, most glaringly when it was providing us with an ersatz Marcus or drawing unnecessary connections between characters with the whole Marion, Abner, Oxley, Mutt Williams family unit.

All that said, Crystal Skull's real flaws come down to the fact that the script didn't feel cohesive or energetic and was wall-to-wall with glaring missed opportunities. These are just Tier 1 writing issues and the threat of that happening once more is probably completely independent of whatever approach Spielberg ends up deciding to take with the material.

Dr.Sartorius

Dr. Gonzo said:
Welcome back Dr. Sartorius! The old faces are starting to emerge from the shadows!

Kaminski might be a forgone conclusion since he's been Speilberg's DP since the mid 90's... but here's to him not misplacing those filters!

Haha thanks. It's good to be back. And I hope Disney doesn't screw this up.

Has any one realized this will be the first Indy without the Paramount opening transition? That's going to be weird.

Randy_Flagg

My feeling about Indy 5 is more along the lines of "curious," rather than "excited." I just don't know if a 70-something Indy can work. Harrison did fine as Han Solo, but Han Solo isn't an action-oriented character the way that Indy is. Indy gets into brawls, gets dragged behind trucks, thrown through windows, falls out of planes, etc, etc, etc. If Indy 5 scales back all of that stuff too much, what's the point in making it? And yet, if it does include all of that stuff, will it just look a bit ridiculous now? I don't know. Will the writers rely on another young side-kick to handle the bulk of the action? I hope not, but I could easily see it happening. I could easily imagine a feisty young kick-ass female archaeology student being the real focus of this film, and Indy being relegated to grumpy old man who's a bit out of his element, and I just can't get too excited about that.
I don't mean to sound overly pessimistic. I admit that my first reaction upon hearing the news of Indy 5 was "Cool!!!", but the more I think about it, the less it seems like a good idea. Keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping for the best, though!

AndyLGR

Its good to see everyone coming back in to the forum again.

This is great news and I'm really looking forward to it. Having seen TFA I have no worries about Harrison coming back in to the role. I thought the film was good but more importantly Harrison showed he still has the fire in him for a role like that. Sure it will be interesting to see how they go with Indy 5 in terms of the characters physicality and if they do work around his age at that time.

On the issue of Mutt, I see no reason to include him at all. One of the traps that Hollywood falls in to as franchises go on is to start including children of the heroes. I hope they don't try to write a story around Indy and his son, it didn't work at all in KOTCS. They should feel no obligation to include the baggage that dragged KOTCS down - Marion and Mutt. Plus I feel its better when there aren't so many heroes on the same quest, when you look at KOTCS I felt it was cluttered with so many people tagging along with Indy.

I would like to see them go back to basics of Indy on a quest with a new sidekick, and I think Disney will look at what made the originals so good and go with that formula over what we saw in KOTCS.

There have been lots of comments about the involvement of Lucas and others like John Williams too. Isn't it funny how everyone on forums think they would make better script writers, directors, composers and cinematographers :D Personally as long as the story is good I don't care who writes it. Also I didn't think TFA soundtrack was bad, so I have no issues with John Williams coming back if possible.

I still don't believe this will be the last we see of Indy, as that press release says the character is iconic and I think in the future he will be recast, reimagined or rebooted or whatever the term is these days.

Udvarnoky

Randy_Flagg said:
I just don't know if a 70-something Indy can work.

He absolutely can work. You can fashion an adventure story around an elderly archeologist exploring ruins. I wouldn't have him jumping from a horse to a tank in motion, but the great thing about the character is that stuff was never really a crucial part of his identity. Even when he boasted youth and a six-pack, Indy was often no match for the enemies he faced down and ended up having to get out of his jams through his wits and outrageous gambles. They could double-down on that aspect to really great effect.

Udvarnoky

Dr.Sartorius said:
Has any one realized this will be the first Indy without the Paramount opening transition? That's going to be weird.

The deal Disney made in 2013 gives them distribution rights on future films, but still allows Paramount to participate in the profits. With Paramount still involved even in a more backgrounded way, there's little doubt in my mind that they'll retain the mountain dissolve at the beginning in the name of tradition.

DeepSixFix

Udvarnoky said:
Even when he boasted youth and a six-pack, Indy was often no match for the enemies he faced down and ended up having to get out of his jams through his wits and outrageous gambles. They could double-down on that aspect to really great effect.
They tried that with the fridge and some people freaked.

00Kevin

Indyfan
Had to get in to this legendary thread here!

Not really much of a surprise that a new Indy film by Disney is coming, but I think the fact that so many key players are returning is the surprise. In any case I'm excited. Yet another classic film series being revisited in this decade.

Udvarnoky

DeepSixFix said:
They tried that with the fridge and some people freaked.

I don't think Indy's age was the overriding objection with that scene, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Dr.Sartorius

Udvarnoky said:
The deal Disney made in 2013 gives them distribution rights on future films, but still allows Paramount to participate in the profits. With Paramount still involved even in a more backgrounded way, there's little doubt in my mind that they'll retain the mountain dissolve at the beginning in the name of tradition.

Didn't know that. Good to know. Thanks. :whip:

And I hope John Rhys-Davies comes back in a substantial role!

TheFedora

Henry W Jones said:
Disney is going to merchandise the hell out of this. Maybe, we will get some of the figures never made by Hasbro in 2008.

I do hope so too, I want Disney to take full advantage of the marketing opportunity that they have here.

Also a Macguffin I would like to see is Shangri-La/Shambala. (Uncharted did it first I know that but general audience may not)

Lambonius

I think the smart money is still on Ford in a framing narrative with a new younger actor to set the franchise up for further sequels down the line. Disney is thinking long-term with this, not one-off finale.

Udvarnoky

If they do resort to a dual narrative, I would still expect the Old Indy plot to get most of the runtime. Disney knows it will get to proceed with the reboot eventually, so I don't think they mind committing to this as a proper Indy 5, cashing in on that nostalgia money, and then finally moving on to the new blood. They get to have it both ways.

Lao_Che

Lambonius said:
I think the smart money is still on Ford in a framing narrative with a new younger actor to set the franchise up for further sequels down the line. Disney is thinking long-term with this, not one-off finale.

I think most of the film will be given to Ford but I think it's in their interest to get one Ford Indy out there that Paramount doesn't have dibs on distributing.

TheFedora said:
Also a Macguffin I would like to see is Shangri-La/Shambala. (Uncharted did it first I know that but general audience may not)

Indy did variations on it a couple of times. ;)

If it's anything like Star Wars, the Indy spinoffs will be an ideas factory for the films.

And, hey, maybe someone will get around to making a proper Indy game now too.

Crack that whip

Lambonius said:

I think they'd rather reboot it eventually, so they can have new Indy movies that actually revolve around Indy, rather than around other characters in Indy's world.

The Man

Lambonius said:

It's savvier to reboot completely without a torch-passing role for Ford. If he's in the movie at all, audiences will not entertain a newcomer. They may not warm to anybody else in the long run, but it's franchise hari-kiri to have the guy you want warming you up for another actor who'll never come close. Harrison is this film's sole selling point at this stage...

Pale Horse

Staff member
So, do you think we'll see more of this Disney magic:

314pbvt.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.