The Worst Young Indiana Jones Episode

Col. Dietrich

Also I don?t like any part of a young Indy episode. Due to the fact that they are used as a love interest and surprisingly every Indy episode that doesn?t have a love interest does way better and is more enjoyable because Indy focuses on the action not the love.

Col. Dietrich

I don?t like oganga due to the last part where the entire platoon was killed by diseases including the love able sergeant who sadly died from the disease leaving a kid behind. Even Remy had one of his toes or fingers cut off due to it too and of course the german Doctor getting classified as a criminal of war and was taken into custody.

micsteam

I hate the episode with the orange guy with the bad comb over that spits out baseless/unfactual statements and thinks he's presidential. Yeah, I hate that episode... oh jeez that's real life !!! My bad !!! :hat:

TheFirebird1

I know this one has a bit of a cult following behind it, but Transylvania, January 1918 was perhaps the most pathetic episode of any television series I've ever seen. Y'know why?
1. Terrible special effects. The "ball lightning" was perhaps the most laughable thing I've ever witnessed. Whatever you want to say about Lucas's CGI on the prequels, it was a hell of a lot better than this episode. In fact, I could probably draw something better in MS Paint. And I suck at drawing in MS Paint.
2. Awful plot. It starts off as a rip-off of Apocalypse Now (no, not just a homage, it literally rips off lines from Willard gets his briefing) and then becomes a...vampire story? What? The supernatural actually cheapens the show in the episode, because it started out as a fairly dark exploration of the war and its side-effects on the human psyche (with Istanbul) and then becomes a hilariously stupid only-scary-for-the-kiddie fest afterwards. It's so incongruous with the rest of the series that it becomes a stain on the entire series. It's actually painful to watch.
3. Acting. Everybody tries in this story, let me tell you, but none of it pays off. The dialogue can be cringey and uncomfortable at certain points ("I don't drink on an empty stomach EITHER!" :sick:), and the character portrayal comes off as weak, with mostly one-dimensional denizens inhabiting this hellhole of a production.
4. Why, oh why, must there be Vampires? The YIJC, and by extension, the AOYIJ, highlight the formation of Indy into what he finally becomes come 1935. The cynicism that comes with that during the war years is marked by a supreme lack of belief in the supernatural, positive or negative. Having your main villain be a supposed vampire who dresses in 16th century rags (why that and not a 1914 Romanian officer's uniform?) doesn't exactly reflect well on that view.
So, in conclusion, Transylvania is the worst of the bunch. And if you disagree:
giphy.gif

Edit: I just want to clarify that the previous statement was a joke. If you feel like disagreeing, go ahead, and I'd love to talk about it further.

Raiders90

TheFirebird1 said:
1. Terrible special effects. The "ball lightning" was perhaps the most laughable thing I've ever witnessed. Whatever you want to say about Lucas's CGI on the prequels, it was a hell of a lot better than this episode. In fact, I could probably draw something better in MS Paint. And I suck at drawing in MS Paint.

Considering the effects were made for a TV show meant to be aired in 1993, they're not bad; they certainly don't distract me when watching it. The digital effects here are a lot better, for example, than the cringey CGI the Sopranos used in 2001, almost a decade later. Even when you compare them to effects from The Mummy, a big budget 90s film, they hold up okay.

2. Awful plot. It starts off as a rip-off of Apocalypse Now (no, not just a homage, it literally rips off lines from Willard gets his briefing) and then becomes a...vampire story? What? The supernatural actually cheapens the show in the episode, because it started out as a fairly dark exploration of the war and its side-effects on the human psyche (with Istanbul) and then becomes a hilariously stupid only-scary-for-the-kiddie fest afterwards. It's so incongruous with the rest of the series that it becomes a stain on the entire series. It's actually painful to watch.

I feel the supernatural made for a nice twist; you think you're getting your standard Heart of Darkness type of story and the episode surprises you in turn. I think having the villain be supernatural works with the themes you mention; one part shows us the human side of evil (Stefan) and the other the truly demonic. Also, I found it quite creepy at times, as did my (24 year old) girlfriend, who is a horror movie buff. I don't think it's just scary for kids.

3. Acting. Everybody tries in this story, let me tell you, but none of it pays off. The dialogue can be cringey and uncomfortable at certain points ("I don't drink on an empty stomach EITHER!" :sick:), and the character portrayal comes off as weak, with mostly one-dimensional denizens inhabiting this hellhole of a production.

I don't see any issue with the acting really. Waters and Maria are great and Bob Peck was a terrific actor. The characters are a bit one dimensional but at the same time, it felt like something out of an EC comic. They were developed just enough to be intriguing and not detract from Indy.

4. Why, oh why, must there be Vampires? The YIJC, and by extension, the AOYIJ, highlight the formation of Indy into what he finally becomes come 1935. The cynicism that comes with that during the war years is marked by a supreme lack of belief in the supernatural, positive or negative. Having your main villain be a supposed vampire who dresses in 16th century rags (why that and not a 1914 Romanian officer's uniform?) doesn't exactly reflect well on that view.

Indy is a confirmed skeptic. Even after the events of Temple of Doom, he laughs off Marcus' warning about the Ark ("I don't believe in magic, superstitious hocus pocus'); even after the events of TOD and Raiders, he dismisses the legend of the Grail as a "bedtime story"; even after that, in CS, he dismisses the Crystal Skull and legend of Akator as "just a story" when talking to Mutt. Indy is a scientist. Even when confronted with a literal alien body a few feet away, when Spalko says "There is no other explanation" Indy replies, "There's always another explanation." Compare his character to that of Dana Sculley from The X-Files, who sees tons of unexplainable things happen and yet clings to rationalism, to science, and doesn't buy into every hokey legend or urban myth. Indy is much the same way; he had a creepy experience in 1918 that he probably later researched and made himself believe there was some rational explanation to what he saw.

Even at the end of the movie, Indy isn't even sure what's happened. Even after seeing men rise from the dead, ball lightning and human combustion, he didn't believe Targo was more than human; he believed the fall must've killed him. In 1918 there was still a lot about the human body that was not understood, and less so cosmic phemonema; Indy probably viewed what happened as natural, explainable things that science hadn't figured out yet.

As to the villain dressing in 16th century rags? If you're a skeptic like Indy, the guy was a nutjob who truly believed he was Vlad Tepes and as such was dressing the part.

michael

The worst episode is....

Treasure of the Peacock's Eye

Totally ruins Remy. He deserved better.

The pirate lady or whatever is easily the most annoying character in young Indy history. SECOND to Indy's love interest in this one.

The episode starts strong.... especially with that beautiful moment between Indy and Remy celebrating the war is over on the battlefield (seriously...these types of moments make the show worth it)

michael

It's baffling why they chose to bundle Peacock's Eye with the VHS trilogy. Perhaps there were plans already in the 90s to retcon the diamond into Temple of Doom.

Do you think that's why it's so well regarded within the fandom? I'm still confused as to why people love it so much.

Look everyone has their opinions on what's a bad episode lol....looking at you Attila...Oganga is my favorite episode! 😡

But I guess it's the treasure hunting aspect that people really "wanted"

I really only like the Malinowski scenes, as it reminded me of Schweitzer in Oganga.

But that voice dubbing of the pirate lady is enough to make you turn it off.

I genuinely love this show because of the non-treasure hunting bits. I'd much rather see Indy be the reason why the Baron painted his plane red. Those are the moments that make this show special to me.

Lao_Che

Wouldn't have pegged Peacock's Eye as anyone's worst, simply because , as Lucas indicates, it's consciously evoking the adventure aspect movies. Same as Transylvania and the supernatural (plus it has that debriefing that screams Eaton and Musgrove).

Would have said the one-two punch of Espionage Escapades myself back in the the day but I've since grown to tolerate some of the larger tone shifts in the show to at least not have a worst. As you can tell from my post dictated from codpiece Morse code.

michael

Wouldn't have pegged Peacock's Eye as anyone's worst, simply because , as Lucas indicates, it's consciously evoking the adventure aspect movies. Same as Transylvania and the supernatural (plus it has that debriefing that screams Eaton and Musgrove).

Would have said the one-two punch of Espionage Escapades myself back in the the day but I've since grown to tolerate some of the larger tone shifts in the show to at least not have a worst. As you can tell from my post dictated from codpiece Morse code.

I really wouldn't mind Peacock if they didn't turn Remy into an absolute lunatic.

Espionage is great for that theme it has alone.

Avilos

Lunatic? I think Remy was acting very in character in that movie. Remy and Indy’s personalities were always very different. By design to create conflict and comedy. I do not think they would ever have been friends if they had not met fighting in wars together. Remy always had possessive and shady side to him. Largely due to being older versus Indy inexperienced youth. The Hunt for treasure outside the war experience highlighted their differences. Indy was just beginning his life and wanted to move on. While Remy was older and thought they were passing up finding a “gold rush” that would never come again.

Highlights differences of Indy as he got older. Fortune and Glory versus it belongs in a museum. Ultimately Indy started from the point of view of an academic he had as little kid. Who occasionally was tempted by greed. Remy was never a student of history who had an interest in archeology. For him it was always about making money off that one treasure.

michael

Lunatic? I think Remy was acting very in character in that movie. Remy and Indy’s personalities were always very different. By design to create conflict and comedy. I do not think they would ever have been friends if they had not met fighting in wars together. Remy always had possessive and shady side to him. Largely due to being older versus Indy inexperienced youth. The Hunt for treasure outside the war experience highlighted their differences. Indy was just beginning his life and wanted to move on. While Remy was older and thought they were passing up finding a “gold rush” that would never come again.

Highlights differences of Indy as he got older. Fortune and Glory versus it belongs in a museum. Ultimately Indy started from the point of view of an academic he had as little kid. Who occasionally was tempted by greed. Remy was never a student of history who had an interest in archeology. For him it was always about making money off that one treasure.

You're forgetting about the 'all-wise' Remy scene explaining the difference between love and infatuation to Indy...he had his fair share of wise moments.

Remy's arc was sacrificed in Peacock. Unfortunately you're not going to change my mind. Even though you make good points.

I understand his motives behind obtaining the treasure but no reason to turn him into a treasure salivating goon just because we need the contrast with Indy. Besides Indy is already "over" the treasure by the time they're lost at sea. So everything with Remy at that point is just needlessly over the top.

Also Remy literally relies on Indy for all of the information to finding it. How can you make a character obsessed with something when they themselves couldn't obtain it without help? (Lol excluding all the movies Villains 😂)

as a Remy fan it wasn't the best way to show him in his final episode.

But I appreciate the response, especially in the YIJC forum.

Last edited:

Avilos

Thanks for the respectful reply. If my memory is correct wasn’t there supposed to be another story with Remy right after this? Once Lucas realized the show would not be a long term network success he reduced the stories produced. Condensed ideas into what we finally got in the Family Channel TV movies and re edited 22 movies for home video.

Ultimately this was what we got for Indy and Remy’s final parting. But it might not have been the original plan.

michael

Thanks for the respectful reply. If my memory is correct wasn’t there supposed to be another story with Remy right after this? Once Lucas realized the show would not be a long term network success he reduced the stories produced. Condensed ideas into what we finally got in the Family Channel TV movies and re edited 22 movies for home video.

Ultimately this was what we got for Indy and Remy’s final parting. But it might not have been the original plan.

That I don't know. It's possible.

But to your other post, I totally feel like the 'gold rush' aspect is an incredibly interesting point of view. Especially with his age.

But this is what Lucas did. It's like Marcus in TLC, the most wise character that can be in raiders and in TLC a bumbling fool.

I could write it all off and we wouldn't even be talking about this if it wasn't the last time we see Remy. Which I think is ultimately what makes it a drag for me..

But I guess his over the top obsession is the contrast we need for Indy's arc.

TheFirebird1

Bombay. Supposedly* would be where Remy would be killed off.

*A French interview with Coutteure posted by Stoo on here IIRC
Yup. I must say I prefer the ending we got—having Indy once again delay his studies to go traipsing around India before helplessly watching his friend die of heat exposure would be both extreme character regression and a real bummer even by YIJC standards.

There's something beautifully bittersweet about Peacock's ending—in a way it's about Indy finally growing up and pursuing a life with actual meaning. It reminds me of Henry IV's ending (even if that may be giving a bit too much credit to YIJC), when Prince Hal makes the choice to embrace responsibility and part from the rambunctious Falstaff. The dialogues on the island with Malinowski have always been a highlight of the series for me—there's something so wonderfully gripping about them.

Billy Ray

I see a lot of hate for the Transylvania episode. Watching through the series on Disney+, I just recently saw this one for the first time. I watched the series when it first aired, but I missed several episodes apparently and this was one of them. I, for one, really enjoyed it! I now it's got kind of cheesy special effects, but to me it felt the most "Indy" to me with the supernatural elements, mystery, and action. I also got a big kick out of seeing Indy wielding a C96 for some reason.

I have enjoyed pretty much all of the episodes, but some of them are a little boring I'll have to admit. I'd agree with several here that the Kafka episode is probably my least favorite. It was entertaining, I guess, but a little too slapstick for my tastes.

michael

I see a lot of hate for the Transylvania episode. Watching through the series on Disney+, I just recently saw this one for the first time. I watched the series when it first aired, but I missed several episodes apparently and this was one of them. I, for one, really enjoyed it! I now it's got kind of cheesy special effects, but to me it felt the most "Indy" to me with the supernatural elements, mystery, and action. I also got a big kick out of seeing Indy wielding a C96 for some reason.

I have enjoyed pretty much all of the episodes, but some of them are a little boring I'll have to admit. I'd agree with several here that the Kafka episode is probably my least favorite. It was entertaining, I guess, but a little too slapstick for my tastes.

I looooooooove the build up to Vlad's castle with Indy and company.

Felt like an actual adventure.

Avilos

I absolutely love the Transylvania episode. I wish George and his collaborators had found a way to expand that alone into a full movie. It and Istanbul do not seem that great a pairing together. The only thing I can think of is adding subplots to show the affects of Vlad on the area. Extending the journey to Vlad’s castle. Showing animals haunted by the presence of the undead near by.

Or maybe a new story to pair with it. Exploring folklore and superstitions about live and death in Europe. Which would foreshadow Indy seeing the real thing.