Your livelihood?

The Drifter

I just felt like starting a topic. I'm bored, and I'm at my dad's. So, what do all of you guys and gals do for a living?
I was a coal-miner but got laid off, so now I am doing nothing at the moment.

Hawkeye

Well, I was just named the General Manager of my college's radio station today. It's a paid position, so technically that's my current "livelihood".

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Since my graduation, I've been doing bits and pieces here and there. Mostly, I'm a editor of wedding videos, but that work will dry up because of the way the company's going so I've been trying to get into bigger projects that are going around.

I've had some pretty close calls into getting a couple of big jobs now, only to be rejected just due to my young age. I will get something eventually, in my case, I'm knocking on a lot of doors, but, someone has to give me a chance and open it too, you know. You do know it's tough times, when there are just as much regular work as there is film/tv/documentary/commercials (by that I mean, regular work ad's have shrunk down to the same level as my industry work's amount of ad's, so in which case, I'm no better off which way I go, so I just keep knocking around for industry stuff).

The Magic Rat

Violet Indy said:
Since my graduation, I've been doing bits and pieces here and there. Mostly, I'm a editor of wedding videos, but that work will dry up because of the way the company's going so I've been trying to get into bigger projects that are going around.

I've had some pretty close calls into getting a couple of big jobs now, only to be rejected just due to my young age. I will get something eventually, in my case, I'm knocking on a lot of doors, but, someone has to give me a chance and open it too, you know. You do know it's tough times, when there are just as much regular work as there is film/tv/documentary/commercials (by that I mean, regular work ad's have shrunk down to the same level as my industry work's amount of ad's, so in which case, I'm no better off which way I go, so I just keep knocking around for industry stuff).

Best of luck, I know someone who finally broke through in the industry. It is really just finding the right person at the right time who can get your foot in the door. Chin up and keep lookin'

My livelihood? Information Systems.

Agent Z

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I was a coal-miner but got laid off, so now I am doing nothing at the moment.

Damn, that's tough man.

Maybe blessing in disguise? Forgive my ignorance, but when I think of mining coal, I'm still thinking of black lungs and such health hazards?

Is it still a risk? Or has the equipment improved enough to make it less so.

Just not sure....:confused:

The Drifter

Agent Z said:
Damn, that's tough man.

Maybe blessing in disguise? Forgive my ignorance, but when I think of mining coal, I'm still thinking of black lungs and such health hazards?

Is it still a risk? Or has the equipment improved enough to make it less so.

Just not sure....:confused:

The hazards are still there, but nothing like it used to be. There still are issues with safety, but overall, it's not as bad as before.
Black Lung is still a big issue when one works years underground. My dad has black-lung, and gets a check for it. But, they could not pay him enough for the suffering he has endured.

There still are roof and rib collapses, but with new tech in pins and bolts, and men knowing what they are doing. It's better now.

Goonie

I spent 10 years in college and university. Out of that I got a diploma in electronics engineering technology, a diploma in business administration specializing in marketing, and in '07 I finished my bachelor's degree in business administration. I wasn't able to find work until February last year. I got hired on as a production manager with a local high-tech company. Unfortunately, due to the economic situation, myself and six others were laid-off at the end of April. And I've been looking for other work since then. I'm hoping to find something in Calgary. There's hardly any jobs around here. Maybe if you want to go and work at McDonald's or Walmart but that's about it. Besides the economic situation, there has been another problem over the last few years and that's a lack of entry-level positions. That's why I had such a problem finding work when I graduated.

Agent Z

Lonsome_Drifter said:
The hazards are still there, but nothing like it used to be. There still are issues with safety, but overall, it's not as bad as before.
Black Lung is still a big issue when one works years underground. My dad has black-lung, and gets a check for it. But, they could not pay him enough for the suffering he has endured.

Yeah, you can never compensate for one's quality of life when it's gone. :(

Lonsome_Drifter said:
There still are roof and rib collapses, but with new tech in pins and bolts, and men knowing what they are doing. It's better now.

Still sounds like tough work. However, you never know what dangers a job will bring. I did food delivery back in my early days and through a wrong address taken at the time of the order, I ended up at the wrong house and with a gun in my face from some drunk paranoid. So, probably would have preferred being in a mine that night instead. :p

Indy's brother

Agent Z said:
I ended up at the wrong house and with a gun in my face from some drunk paranoid. So, probably would have preferred being in a mine that night instead. :p

Same thing happened to me when I was in college! I was delivering a pizza, but the address was correct. The guy pointed a gun at me and told me I was the dumbest MF-er in the world. He thought I was someone else, guess he didn't notice his pizza in my hand right away. He was pretty wasted, too.

indy34

Jeremiah Jones said:
Ah America
yes America my dad has lived in Australia for 45 years never had a gun pointed at him on his 3rd day in America he had a gun shoved in his face:rolleyes: :p