Where were you the day you were watching KOTCS for the first time who are you now?

Nurhachi1991

It's been 5 years since you saw KOTCS for the first time with all of you're hopes and dreams. Well where are you now?

The Drifter

I'm the same old drifter that I was those many years ago. Still just a fan who loves the Indy movies and liked the books. I still don't own a fedora, don't collect the toys or figures, and still haven't gotten the films on Blu-Ray. I still check this bar every single day, even though I don't post as much as I used to do. I miss a lot of users whom have came, went or were shipped off to the slave trade of the Banana Islands.

And where am I? Why, I'm laying in my bed.

Montana Smith

Nurhachi1991 said:
It's been 5 years since you saw KOTCS for the first time...

It's less than five years for me.

I resisted.

But resistance was futile.

The Drifter said:
I still don't own a fedora

I have two, by chance. But would never wear them in public.

The Drifter said:
don't collect the toys or figures

Toys and figures are at the heart of it all for me. :D

The Drifter said:
still haven't gotten the films on Blu-Ray.

Only KOTCS on Blu-ray.

The Drifter said:
I still check this bar every single day, even though I don't post as much as I used to do.

I'm much in the same situation, having reduced my posting habits from the times I was heavily addicted.

The Drifter said:
I miss a lot of users whom have came, went or were shipped off to the slave trade of the Banana Islands.

The old place has changed quite a bit in the time I've been here.

Some of the fire might have gone out, and every so often the flames in the hearth in the bar die down to embers that need fanning back into life.

There have been, however, new and interesting patrons coming through the door lately.

Nurhachi1991 said:
Well where are you now?

A little most most of the time.

Though I am apparently "the Grand Lord of KOTCS Mockery". I'm far too humble to accept that award, for it was carried away to the Western Lands, where the bananas grow plentiful, by far worthier recipients.

Mickiana

Saw CS with my now Ex. I love her still. I don't love CS. I happen to be tanked on Chivas Regal right now. Perfect time to reply to this post. Indy is a fading inspiration. I'm now middle aged and becoming world weary and cynical. I concur with both Monty and Drifter, except on the toys and figures thing. But, I do sometimes wear my fedora in public, well, haven't for a while now. May do, it's summer after all...

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
Though I am apparently "the Grand Lord of KOTCS Mockery". I'm far too humble to accept that award, for it was carried away to the Western Lands, where the bananas grow plentiful, by far worthier recipients.

Come now, don't be shy...fulfill your destiny and bring balance to the fandom!

As for me, I like to think that since the glory days of KOTCS' release, I've gone through a drastic change. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I now consider myself more mature, humble, less hyperbolic and 'giddy as a schoolboy' as I used to be on here (many of my older posts read like I was on a sugar high when typing. Ugh:sick: ). I also try to be more outgoing, supportive, polite and encouraging to other Raveners, newbies especially, and I'm trying to re-write my reputation on here from the excitable, childishly enthusiastic one to a mature but dry-witted and snarky member of the bar, always trying to be amusing and likable but not trying too hard. Also, I've come a long way toward conquering my Asperger's, so that's probably helped my persona a bit, too...:confused:

This is all, of course, up to interpretation...;)

Spurlock

I have plenty to say about watching this film. Five years ago I was 11, and until then, I had never been disappointed by a film. I had been living in a world where all films were great and fun. Indiana Jones was my favorite hero, movies, idea, anything (still is in most categories). I was super excited for this movie, why wouldn't I be? The prequels Lucas did for Star Wars were awesome (remember, those happened while I was a child). But then I saw KotCS and lost my critique virginity. My life was never the same. I was disappointed in the movie, it never reached the same level to me. This is a kid who had the idea that RofLA = ToD = LC.

Since then, I've grown to like it more, but still can't forget how it affected me.

Henry W Jones

Spurlock said:
I have plenty to say about watching this film. Five years ago I was 11, and until then, I had never been disappointed by a film. I had been living in a world where all films were great and fun. Indiana Jones was my favorite hero, movies, idea, anything (still is in most categories). I was super excited for this movie, why wouldn't I be? The prequels Lucas did for Star Wars were awesome (remember, those happened while I was a child). But then I saw KotCS and lost my critique virginity. My life was never the same. I was disappointed in the movie, it never reached the same level to me. This is a kid who had the idea that RofLA = ToD = LC.

Since then, I've grown to like it more, but still can't forget how it affected me.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was the first movie to not meet expectations for me and it has grown on me over the years. I actually because of Last Crusade and the SW prequels expected a way worse movie from CS and was pleased with seeing IJ again minus a monkey scene.

KingdianaJones7

I was at the Odeon here in town, unfortunately my Kingdom of the Crystal Skull T-Shirt didn't arrive in time for the 22nd of May so I wore my ILM tshirt instead.

THe whole night before I was awake with much excitement, I had my Indy Fedora with me and how well I remember that day, things hadn't been going well for me in my life but it was on the 22nd of May my whole life and outlook changed.

And it was the moment the silhouette of Indy bends down to pick up the Fedora that I too put on my Fedora and placed it on my head, and I rememeber whooping and hollering when we first saw Indy on screen, the whole cinema went nuts. I remember being thrilled, I remember being excited, I remember just how much it all energised me.

The scene where the final countdown to the atomic bomb actually brought about such InSpiration for me, it showcased just how wonderful my greatest onscreen hero is.

(Mutt aside and talk about aliens)

And then of course the very sweet and wonderful reunion with his greatest love, all summed up with that infamous line:

"They weren't you honey."

I winced when the ants were carrying Indy's Fedora into the ground only to be relieved when Indy picks it up and couldn't help but shed a tear when Indy and Marion got married.

Was a week later I saw Indy again, and proudly walked about with my Indy Fedora.

And was up very early the day the dvd got released and a surge of massive adrenaline rushed through me as I was first in line, Indy Fedora on hearing the Raiders March from inside HMV and seeing those wonderful DVDs on display, when they opened up the shutters part of me was tempted to tuck and roll under lol.

From 2009 to 2011 the Fedora gathered dust whilst on my bureau, and in 2011 I met the great man himself who signed it, like OMG what a moment that was and right then and there it became the greatest piece of my Indy/well entired Autograph collection, a year later Mr. Spielberg signed it, then Kathleen Kennedy, then Vic Armstrong, and early this year John Rhys.

Where am I now? In a wonderful place happy with Indy 4 and all its brought to my life and hopes of Indy 5 happening :)

HenryJunior

May 22nd was the last day of school. My Dad and I were going to the first showing as soon as I got out. There wouldn't be enough time to change into my Indy costume before we got home, so I went to school wearing my Gear. We were signing year books since it was the last day of school. I think I actually signed a few as "Indiana Jones" because I was so excited. Seems silly now but it was fun. Classes ended, and not only was summer upon me, but I was about to see my very first Indiana Jones movie in the theatre! From what I recalled I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time. A couple goofy moments stood out in my mind but the adrenaline rush blinded me. It would take repeat viewings for my disgust to form. For a while these past few years I couldn't stand it, and tried my best to ignore it. Now I'm nearly finishing High school, and I've begrudgingly accepted KOTCS, my disgust of it is not nearly as bad as it used to be. My Fandom hasn't faded and I'm working on a Fan Film. It's incredible what changes in the course of five years.

S. Dakota Jones

I was in the middle of a deployment and we got a pre release screening of it to watch. I very much enjoyed the first half, it was the first Indiana Jones movie I got to see on the big screen(LC came out when I was 10 but my parents wouldn't take me to it). I tried to make excuses for the parts I didn't care for and didn't seem "Indyish" I liked it(it was Indiana Jones, dammit!) but for some reason felt kinda empty at the same time.

The second time I watched it, I decided I hated it and never watched it up until about a month ago. Even after buying the Blu Ray set I never watched it. Just did it on a whim and warmed up to it. I don't hate it anymore and very much enjoy the beginning half and seeing Marion again.

Also, after 10+ years, I have finally been able to get an IJ costume together...as I had promised myself I would do it when the CS trailers started coming out:eek:

Now...I'm on another deployment watching and loving (for the most part), the entire series.

Goonie

Saw the midnight premier in Kelowna while I was laidoff due to the recession (just two months of work and my first job after graduating from Uni. Now I'm living in Calgary having finally scored a job in my field at the beginning of 2013. Yeah it took that long, but if you graduated at the start of the recession like me... Where am I now? Back in Kelowna - just visiting my sister for Christmas. Returning to Calgary tomorrow.

Joe Brody

Yeah, I was at the midnight premiere at the local multiplex with my oldest kid.

But she's 13 now and identifies more with Fast and Furious and sings We Own It word-for-word. I'm hoping the Indy franchise gets its MOJO back with #5.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rv8C1wjbsKw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As for her singing We Own It? I'm cool with that. Originally being from Pittsburgh how could I not like Wiz Khalifa?

Last edited:

00Kevin

Indyfan
When indy 4 came out I was in community college, now I am in a university a few miles away.

so yea, not much has changed

Skull was a big thing to me i saw it with all the fam at the pics...After all the years after last crusade i was let down really..still liked it like i like temple..It could have been a great film really they just did it wrong in some areas..i still think its a good film...now im still in my 20's, have a A-bilt fedora but dont wear it will do when i have more years on me i think...One last one with Harry would be great.

IAdventurer01

When Crystal Skull came out, I had just completed my first year of college. I was enjoying my time there, but had recently gotten really bad grades in my major (Physics), but that wasn't enough to put a damper on seeing Indy for the first time on the big screen. And I loved it in the moment, but was a tad disappointed on reflection.

Now, I'm working my way up the ranks as a programmer at a successful little start-up. I wear my Penman fedora on my daily commute. (Why is everyone mentioning their fedoras in their status?) I've come to accept KotCS, though I see too many problems still to enjoy it as I did when I experienced it for the first time. However, the problems don't mean it's a terrible film, so I still enjoy it quite a bit.