The World without KotCS, a better place?

Are you glad the film was made?

• Total voters

motifone

jamiestarr said:
The movie sucked, period. And PLENTY of people think this. Rarely do I find a friend or coworker who enjoyed it. I'm a big fan of Raiders, and enjoy Doom and Crusade. KOTCS is nothing more than average to below average at best.

Great movies hit home on first viewing. This isn't a genre that requires multiple viewings to admire and appreciate nuances of character and plot. It's action.

It is pretty much your god given right to dislike anything and voice your opinion about it. You didn't like Crystal Skull? Fine. However, stating your opinion and pretending that it is fact, or worse yet a universal truth that we all share, is what sucks... period. Rarely do I find a friend or coworker who disliked the new Indy film--so what?

Lots of people enjoyed Crystal Skull, and I am sure others did not. The same could be said about most movies ever made. Believe it or not, I had a girlfriend who slept through Raiders of the Lost Ark. We broke up shortly afterwards.

Do we all really have to type that something is "my opinion" everytime. Of course it's my opinion. Nobody on this board is right, nobody is wrong. Stating my point of view, and mine alone.

Sounds like you were right to dump the girl though.

Last edited:

Walton

Wow...

The Man said:
The ideal of Indy 4 was always worth pursuing, but overall, they should not have made it as it is. A decade of script wrangling...for this?!

I know I'm taking us back to the beginning with this quote, but WOW. That's accurate! I've read 4 of the scripts. KOTCS is the best of all of them...but it is also practically plagarism. Darabont's script featured several of the key scenes in KOTCS including a Hangar 51 opening, the rocket sled escape, and the Doom Town sequence (which appears on screen with only minor changes). GL's history with script drafts (research the history of Star Wars if you want to debate the point) is such that parts of earlier drafts survive to the end. But there are times - in my opinion - where you have to scrap everything and run fresh. KOTCS seems uneven, and I think that's the root problem: parts from prior drafts were force-fitted into place. It shows. DK borrowed too much from FD. :gun:

muttjones

this thread hasnt really helped i see...

i just thought that people have been whining and complaining about how sh!t KOTCS is that when asked whether they would rather have it be made or not that your true decision would really be shown.
sadly i've started a thread that has more whining and complaining.
im tired of this lets start talking about the good things of KOTCS.
can a mod close my thread?

James

Walton said:
DK borrowed too much from FD.

The prologue basically came from the "Saucermen" script, though.

And ultimately, Lucas is the one who came up with all the main elements: Area 51, Roswell, Rocket sled, Doom Town, Russians, Nazca lines, Giant ants, Crystal Skull, Lost Amazonian City, etc.

Niteshade007

This is a good question, and one that I have mixed feelings about. On the one hand, I am completely disappointed with the film. I won't be grateful that I got an Indy film at all, because that is completely ridiculous. Why would I mindlessly thank someone for something I hate? It's not a present at a birthday party, it's a movie, one that I paid to see, and one that I did not enjoy. At least with a bad birthday present you can always return it (unless you're like me and are no longer able to do so because Target says you've returned too many things).

On the other hand, I am grateful for the experience. Last Crusade came out when I was a year old, and I had to be taken out of the theater because I was crying. I have seen Raiders on the big screen, but I didn't think I'd see something new. The excitement and hype for the movie was something I enjoyed, and I will always remember the experience, regardless of how disappointed I was with the final product. So, is the experience enough to accept an at best mediocre film? I don't know. I could have lived without the film, but I did enjoy the build up.

Also, I don't think it'll be remembered fondly in years to come. Some argue that Temple of Doom went through the same transformation, being panned when it came out and then accepted today, but I don't see that. A lot of people I know still don't like Temple of Doom. It is their least favorite of the originals. While it has become accepted, even loved, by Indy fans, the rest of the world doesn't seem to have gone through the same transformation. I don't think KotCS will be any different. If people hate it now, they probably always will. Indy fans may grow an appreciation for it, but others will not.

Indy1986

i can not really make up my mind....i am grateful that they made it but i just dont understand lucas or spielberg....i mean didnt they realize that some scenes were just not right...it would have been so easier to make this movie more acceptable.....i just want Indy5 to make up for all that i really want another one....call me crazy

Kingsley

The movie gave us one great sequence (fridge included)...

ij4004ad9.jpg

Is it enough? I think so.
But as the movie nears its ending it becames less and less memorable.
Oh, I miss the riding to sunset ending from LC. I want an Indy 5 that can fix all the flaws, but it's a risky wish, I know.

TheMutt92

Walton said:
I know I'm taking us back to the beginning with this quote, but WOW. That's accurate! I've read 4 of the scripts. KOTCS is the best of all of them...but it is also practically plagarism. Darabont's script featured several of the key scenes in KOTCS including a Hangar 51 opening, the rocket sled escape, and the Doom Town sequence (which appears on screen with only minor changes). GL's history with script drafts (research the history of Star Wars if you want to debate the point) is such that parts of earlier drafts survive to the end. But there are times - in my opinion - where you have to scrap everything and run fresh. KOTCS seems uneven, and I think that's the root problem: parts from prior drafts were force-fitted into place. It shows. DK borrowed too much from FD. :gun:

Can you call it plagarism when the scripts are all dicatated by the same man? Personally, I thought the movie was fine and just needed better execution in some spots.

Agent Z

nitzsche said:
That's the problem right there, then.

:p

Be nice...

Although, honestly, I am wondering about all those returns to Target.

Hard to please gene? :p

Sidenote: People return birthday presents?! I have never heard of this! :confused:

Niteshade007

nitzsche said:
That's the problem right there, then.

Clever. I must admit I liked that you didn't just outright make fun of the fact that I was young. Much more subtle. Kudos.

Agent Z said:
Although, honestly, I am wondering about all those returns to Target.

Hard to please gene?

Sidenote: People return birthday presents?! I have never heard of this!

Haha, moreso in high school. I've gotten better. Honest.

And yes, sometimes shallow people will return things they don't want in order to get things they want. It makes it kind of awkward when your friend asks to borrow that DVD they bought for you...

Silentrascal

eshine said:
I enjoyed the movie from the first viewing, and each subsequent viewing.

I can't think of a freind or coworker who did not enjoy this fun popcorn flick - in fact, many of them said it was the best of the sequals or at least better than TOD.

Was that before or after being plied with so much booze they could barely stand up? Either that or a lot of pot smoking.

eshine

Silentrascal said:
Was that before or after being plied with so much booze they could barely stand up? Either that or a lot of pot smoking.
Nope, they just went in with the simple goal in mind of being entertained by an Indy flick.

I don't think any of them were in fear of having their lives ruined by it.

This is light popcorn fare, folks - and I for one hope they make another family adventure with the Jonses!!!

graz

eshine said:
Nope, they just went in with the simple goal in mind of being entertained by an Indy flick.

I don't think any of them were in fear of having their lives ruined by it.

This is light popcorn fare, folks - and I for one hope they make another family adventure with the Jonses!!!

Well thats it isn't it? Some people take this stuff too seriously - my peer group thought it was a right laugh, flawed maybe, but more fun than alot of movies out there. The point is, they don't go to the flicks for a life altering experience, they got to have FUN! (y)

Grizzlor

graz said:
Well thats it isn't it? Some people take this stuff too seriously - my peer group thought it was a right laugh, flawed maybe, but more fun than alot of movies out there. The point is, they don't go to the flicks for a life altering experience, they got to have FUN! (y)
Well said graz, well said.

Bjorn Heimdall

I don't know why I have to be a gloomy, sarcastic and dull just because I didn't think Crystal Skull was great. I saw countless things I would changed and was dissapointed, but you wont catch me lying down on the sidewalk, sobbing. I saw Wanted a little later and I thought it was a lot of fun, I was still not highfive-ing everyone I met the next day. What I'm trying to say is that I can enjoy/dislike movies without it having an impact on my mood or personality. I think/hope most of you agree.