What's a Hero?

Doc Savage

We have people from all walks of life on this forum, so I have a poser for all of you. What makes a hero? What do you see in Indy or any other hero that attracts you to them?

Personally, I have four major loves: my God, my wife and daughter, and my country. I would gladly lay it all on the line for any of them. To me, a hero must be a man (or woman) of conviction who is willing and able to consistently do the same. What are your thoughts?

Pale Horse

Staff member
That is a good order to place your four loves in. But you already know that.

I don't know who is heroic anymore.

Webster's defines a hero the following way:

• *In mythology and legend, a man, often of divine ancestry, who is endowed with great courage and strength, celebrated for his bold exploits, and favored by the gods.
    *A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life: soldiers and nurses who were heroes in an unpopular war.
    *A person noted for special achievement in a particular field: the heroes of medicine.
    *The principal male character in a novel, poem, or dramatic presentation.

I'd say my founding father grandfather was a heroic man, but even that would be a stretch for me. Being an English major, I would say heroes are purely mythical creations, at this point. I can also say that I have directly saved (in the mortal sense) 4 lives. I don't consider that heroic by any means.

Tennessee R

I love (just as Doc Savage):
Jesus/God, my family, and my country. Definately the first on that list is my primary. I believe that a person (depends on his specific actions) who saves multiple lives could be considered a hero.
In Dec '03 I was in Israel. There was a professional climber with us (We were working on the cliffs of Qumran) who had rescued many many people stuck on cliffs in the general area. He also teaches climbing. He is very well known by the locals, and is like a local hero.
Now, Apalehorse, you would have to give more details about those 4.
But I believe that someone who has risked his life and family multiple times to save other's lives, could respectfully be called a hero.

Doc Savage

I knew you two were favorites of mine for a reason. And Pale Rider, you qualify in my book. Tennessee as well, a hero and a globetrotter. Apalehorse once told me that people don't take the road less traveled unless it's the right one. That's a paraphrase, but I hope I did his statement justice. Your priorities, Tennessee, set you in that eschelon.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Tennessee R said:
Now, Apalehorse, you would have to give more details about those 4.
But I believe that someone who has risked his life and family multiple times to save other's lives, could respectfully be called a hero.

"God makes men what they are" William Wallace in Braveheart

Just to clarify, I didn't see it as a risk to my life, maybe that is the difference.

How would you like me to expand on the definitions?

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Well, I think when a person saves 1 or more lives, with risk of losing his/ her own, he/ she can be called a hero.

But we all have our own visions of what makes a hero.

Personaly, when I'm writing a story, I prefer using the kind of 'hero' who doesn't want to be one. A person just going his own way and suddenly ends up doing the right thing in an unusual situation.
Those kind of 'hero's' don't only end up saving or helping somebody despite getting themselfs in harm's way; they actually evolve.

Canyon

I think that a hero is defined by someone who acts in a heroic manner, and someone who risks their life to save others.

One description I really like is when Indy was voted the Greatest Movie Hero in Total Film Magazine (March 01) and their description was:

hero he ro, n. any illustrious person of distinguished bravery: a person reverenced and idealised: the principle figure whose career is the thread of a story in a work of fiction: orig. a man of superhuman powers, a demigod.

A demigod? Hmm, wonder what our heroic friend would think of that description. :D

Doc Savage

I used to read "hero" as Superman, Spiderman, etc. And while using one's abilities for the good of all is laudable, those who overcome the human condition in all it's forms despite limitation are rising to ascendency in my book. I'll take a daredevil over a demigod any day of the week.

Strider

A hero is somone who puts themselves in a situation to help others. Indiana Jones is a hero. A fireman (or woman) is a hero.

Heroism

Anyone can be a hero.

All they have to do is knowingly expose themselves to great risk in a moment of crisis for a worthy cause that benefits someone else.

The word is getting diluted. Today victims are characterized as "heroes." People who are admired are called "heroes." They are not. They are worthy people, but not heroes.

[Edited by Broomhandle Davis on 02-24-2004 at 01:39 pm]

Pale Horse

Staff member
Strider said:
A hero is somone who puts themselves in a situation to help others. Indiana Jones is a hero. A fireman (or woman) is a hero.

I hope not to offend anyone with this, but does a fireman truely risk his or her life? I was under the opinion that they train so intensely that when they go into a fire, they know that while it is dangerous there is little risk because they have trained for most of the outcomes.

<small>That is not to say the NY firefighters knew the buildings were going to collapse. I just want you to look at Broomhandles view that "hero" is becoming too diluted.</small>

Strider

A fireman my not always really risk his own life but he still save's others.
He takes his time to help others.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Strider said:
A fireman my not always really risk his own life but he still save's others.
He takes his time to help others.

So by your definition, anyone that saves a mortal life is a hero? I have a hard time seeing it that way.

Strider

Not necesary save one's life but to make somone else's life better. Is what I'm saying really so hard to understand?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Strider said:
Not necesary save one's life but to make somone else's life better. Is what I'm saying really so hard to understand?

No, but it seems rather banal. But I'm not trying to dispute you, only to understand.

I personally feel heroism is much more intangible.

bob

In its most generic meaning of the word a hero is a person who risks themselves for something larger than themselves....

Pale Horse

Staff member
Could it be said, than, conversely that if the actions of one person are viewed by another who sees a difference between the risk and the doer, they will see a heroic act or person, though the doer does not see the same thing?