LucasArts classics coming to Steam

So for the uninitiated... Correct me if I'm wrong...

Steam is a Windows only platform to run games? It's an non-intrusive, non system intensive process that works as an emulator of sorts? Do the games run directly in the environment? I assume it's something I can run on my Mac via Parallels with little difficulty? Especially for an un-taxing game like Last Crusade?

IndyAJA77

ResidentAlien said:
So for the uninitiated... Correct me if I'm wrong...

Steam is a Windows only platform to run games? It's an non-intrusive, non system intensive process that works as an emulator of sorts? Do the games run directly in the environment? I assume it's something I can run on my Mac via Parallels with little difficulty? Especially for an un-taxing game like Last Crusade?

I hope that's the case, because, as a Mac user, that was my first thought as well! It would be a shame if Mac users couldn't join in on the fun.

Morning Bell

IndyAJA77 said:
I hope that's the case, because, as a Mac user, that was my first thought as well! It would be a shame if Mac users couldn't join in on the fun.

That's what I'm wondering too. As I Mac user I would love to finally have a chance to play the LC graphic adventure.

Finn

Staff member
ResidentAlien said:
Steam is a webstore that also acts as a validating platform for the games bought from there. A person buys a game from Steam, downloads it to his or her own hard disk, installs the game and then runs it as a separate entity after validating it via Steam, which will also duplicate as a launcher for the game.

A game tied to Steam might run under Parallels or some other emulation, or it might not, but the client itself has no emulating capabilities whatsoever. So while there is a way to make the program run on Macs, that alone doesn't guarantee any compatibility with the games acquired through it.

AlivePoet

Finn said:
Steam is a webstore that also acts as a validating platform for the games bought from there. A person buys a game from Steam, downloads it to his or her own hard disk, installs the game and then runs it as a separate entity after validating it via Steam, which will also duplicate as a launcher for the game.

A game tied to Steam might run under Parallels or some other emulation, or it might not, but the client itself has no emulating capabilities whatsoever. So while there is a way to make the program run on Macs, that alone doesn't guarantee any compatibility with the games acquired through it.

So essentially an anti-piracy system? I assume that means you can't run the games offline, so it would be useless for travel where wireless isn't available.

Johnny Nys

All this online game buying/downloading ... Frankly I'm getting a bit sick of it. They did it for Sam & Max, now they're doing it with Monkey Island.

Where are the days when you could simply walk into a store, pick up a game from the shelves, go to the counter and pay for it, go home and play it?

I've been looking for a hardcopy of the first season of Sam & Max, but looks like only the Wii version is available here. However, you can pre-order both versions of season two.

Finn

Staff member
AlivePoet said:
So essentially an anti-piracy system? I assume that means you can't run the games offline, so it would be useless for travel where wireless isn't available.
Actually, games from Steam do work offline, as long as they have been validated at some point.

AlivePoet

Finn said:
Actually, games from Steam do work offline, as long as they have been validated at some point.

Okay, thanks. That's good to know, since I probably won't have a wireless signal playing the Monkey Island remake at the beach. :cool:

Finn

Staff member
Forbidden Eye said:
Yeah, but don't you need the original files?
You do. But it doesn't matter if they are for a different system as long as the ScummVM is for your native OS.

Trennas

My girlfriend and I got FoA and the Last Crusade through steam. Apparently the games have been updated somewhat, as FoA plays with voices without any trouble whatsoever. Should run on pretty much any windows system then :)

Trennas said:
My girlfriend and I got FoA and the Last Crusade through steam. Apparently the games have been updated somewhat, as FoA plays with voices without any trouble whatsoever. Should run on pretty much any windows system then :)

The talkie version has been around since 1994...

...and the game always ran well using ScummVM or DosBOX.

Trennas

I know that, I have the original CD right here and I was never able to get the voices to work, only partly, like I have explained to you before.

This versions works without the use of SCUMMV or DosBox AND it plays the voices normally. I'd say that's improvement.